M-Audio Firewire 410: Anyone else get screwed on the firewire cable?

jdechant

I just got my firewire 410 in the mail and on the box it says it is supposed to come with a 6' firewire cable. It only came with a 3' one! This is rediculous. There is no way I can reach my computer firewire jack with a 3' cable. e-mailed sales support and asked for them to send me the correct length cable.

anyone else buy a firewire 410 and get a little 3' cable instead of the 6' it is supposed to come with?

Also, what is up with the entire unit being silver in all of the media images & images on the box, but then really only the faceplate is silver and the rest is a dark grey/charcoal color? Sort of misleading.

Dude....seriously....hold your fucking breathe...if those are the 2 biggest problems you have with the 410...then consider yourself lucky!

I just bought mine three days ago, and yea the cable is pretty short. I didn't ever read how long it is supposed to be but it is probably about 3 feet. But from what I've heard you should keep FireWire cables as short as you can possibly live with...
-k

radzikk said:
But from what I've heard you should keep FireWire cables as short as you can possibly live with...

Never heard that about firewire. have heard it about USB, and with that you need a hub after so many feet, but never heard it about firewire.

In any case, I don't see how many people would be able to use a 3' cable with their desktops (most setups I've seen, the desktop is on the ground or similar). notebook maybe.

emu

The E-mu Firewire is supposed to be 3 meters (about 9 feet) and they still boast virtually zero latency. I wouldn't think the length of a firewire cable should make too much of a difference. Most of the latency happens inside anyway.

Relating cable length and latency is pretty rediculous.
It's like saying that a 100 ft XLR cable will give you a higher latency than a 10 ft cable when hooking up your mic to your preamp.

Signal decay is the main reason why connections have a maximum cable length. Some standards are less prone to signal loss than others. USB has a max. of about 5 meters. Cat5 100mbit network connections can reach up to 180 meters if I remember correctly.

jdechant said:
I just got my firewire 410 in the mail and on the box it says it is supposed to come with a 6' firewire cable. It only came with a 3' one! This is rediculous. There is no way I can reach my computer firewire jack with a 3' cable. e-mailed sales support and asked for them to send me the correct length cable.
So they made a tiny mistake. I'd go to the nearest computer store, get a 6ft cable for 5 bucks and be done with it. A 3 ft cable is actually great when using it with a laptop. Long cables are a nightmare then.

When I bought my Audiophile, the snake with the midi and spdif connectors turned out to be black instead of white like the picture on their (now) old website.

BIG DEAL. :)

FireWire cabels require a repeater (hub) if they are longer than 15 feet/4.5 meters.

And length of cable has nothing to do with latency, it has to do with line loss, and line noise which equates to errors and glitches when recording.
-k

christiaan said:
So they made a tiny mistake. I'd go to the nearest computer store, get a 6ft cable for 5 bucks and be done with it. A 3 ft cable is actually great when using it with a laptop. Long cables are a nightmare then.

yes the 3 foot is perfect for my powerbook but no way it could reach the desktop. And I'm not going to go out an unnecessarily pay extra for something I already paid for. Anyways I emailed M-Audio about it and they were more than happy to send me the correct length cable. Contrary to popular mythology, most companies DO care about the happiness of their customers :cool:

Back