Lost in cables.

JorgeLavin

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure where can I post this question, so as I am still setting up my home studio, here it is:

I have a Beringher Xenyx1202 mixer and some time ago I bought a Neewer condenser mic. This mic came with a XLR to TRS 3.5jack cable, but I didn't use it because I got a XLR to XLR, worked fine.

Today I bought a Beringher xm8500 dynamic mic and thought I could use that spare cable. So I tried to connect it via a TS 1/4 adapter. It didn't work.

Testing both mics with the XLR to XLR worked fine, so I don't know if it is the cable (I don't think so because it is new), or the adapter or a mixer set up. Could you enlighten me on this please?

WIN_20210413_15_36_43_Pro.jpg

There are a couple of things - the XLR-XLR cable plugs into the mic input of your mixer - it expects microvolts - and has enough gain to bring the tiny voltages from the mic up to something it can deal with. Your cable with that adaptor, effectively converts the balance 3 circuit 3.5mm connector to 2 circuit unbalanced. In itself - not a real issue - but the mixer's jack sockets expect a guitar or other line level amount of signal - so millivolts, quite a bit more. To use the mixer XLRs (the correct sockets for mics) you just need another XLR-XLR cable. Your mic just hasn't the output to be connected by the jack inputs on the mixer - that's all.

I see!, thank you very much for taking the time to help me. So I guess the XLR to TRS cable is just intended to plug the mic directly into a PC or a recorder, Right?

If the equipment is at a balanced level.

XLR to TRS would be a way of maintaining a balanced line level from XLR output to 1/4" TRS input.
Except that TRS on a computer isn't balanced, it's either stereo or there's DC being supplied to run a condenser. And "balanced" isn't a level, it's a signal configuration. The TRS end is probably there to make it compatible with a stereo input, with the tip and ring connected together.

Except that TRS on a computer isn't balanced, it's either
So JOrgelavin, no. The answer is no.
And "balanced" isn't a level, it's a signal configuration. The TRS end is probably there to make it compatible with a stereo input, with the tip and ring connected together.
I was supposed to say what now?

XLR to TRS would be a way of maintaining a balanced line ***SIGNAL CONFIGURATION*** from XLR output to 1/4" TRS input.

Thats a bunch of bullshit. Fucking 'level' works. But Its cool. Ill say it your way. Not gonna yell 'Tazer' and blast em with a cap over it.

Last edited:
I have had two of the "Neewer/BM800" microphones and been lucky that they both worked very well! I have just metered the XLR to TRS 3.5mm cable and it is NOT wired as you would expect.

The XLR has pin 3 ted to pin 1 shield/comm' but XLR 3 is not taken to TRS ring. Instead ring and tip are short together, shield to sleeve as one would expect.

Thus the TRS to TS adapter will simply short hot to cold and deliver nowt.

And! I see no need for the salty language. HR was a bit rife with such outbursts a few years ago but thankfully that has all but died out now. We all friends here? GENTLEMANLY disagreements please!

Dave.

the xor to 3 circuit 3.5mm seems a common cable to supply! shows how many people just make and buy mics for computers, not proper audio recording.

the xor to 3 circuit 3.5mm seems a common cable to supply! shows how many people just make and buy mics for computers, not proper audio recording.
Yes but Rob, the Neewer cable is NOT a 3 circuit, 'pin for pin' XLR to TRS cable. The mic obviously uses the tip to both receive power and send audio out. The mic is easy enough to get apart but the electronics is VERY wee SMT! Way beyond these old eyes to reverse engineer!

In fact my two BMs work very well into a laptop via the TRS plug but it should be borne in mind that the resultant circuit is NOT balanced, low impedance I am sure but not balanced and extending the XLR cable could be problematic (will give that a go later) The dual connection aspect of these very cheap mics makes them rather more useful than the budget USB types IMO but then there are now some very good USB mics.

Dave.

And! I see no need for the salty language. HR was a bit rife with such outbursts a few years ago but thankfully that has all but died out now. We all friends here? GENTLEMANLY disagreements please!

Dave.
We are strangers to each other. Do not tell me how to talk I wont tell you.

I've got one of those cables, and just tested mine and it's direct wired - no short How odd? These mics seem to have loads of different versions don't they! Must be a nightmare to match up to the cables.

I wonder what such a cable would even be useful for. Connected to a balanced input, it would just cancel to silence. Connected to a stereo input, left and right would have opposite polarity.

Thank you all for the conversation! I've learn something today. Rob, the adaptor didn't came with the cable, I use it only to plug it into the mixer. Maybe someday I will tear that cable appart to see how it is built. The neewer mic works fine so far!

Thank you all for the conversation! I've learn something today. Rob, the adaptor didn't came with the cable, I use it only to plug it into the mixer. Maybe someday I will tear that cable appart to see how it is built. The neewer mic works fine so far!
No need to tear it apart. Get a basic DMM (digital multimeter). Then you can check how cables are wired and test for faults, check the charge on batteries and all kinds of good things.

Back