Looking to replace my crappy monitors...

I am having all kinds of trouble mixing and I guess a big factor, besides inexperience, are my crappy Fostex 6301B monitor speakers and my room.

Looking for suggestions of an upgrade. Willing to spend around $500 but will sell kidney if there are some super amazing monitors out there!

Here is my limited mixing space in my room:
mixing.jpg

I am on the top floor and the roof kind of hangs over my computer and speakers. Does this cause crazy frequencies to bounce around? I don't have many other options of setting up in a different location but would some kind of padding or foam help in anyway?

I have the Mackie MR5s and man they are great! i got a pair for $270 on ebay but a pair is actually worth $360. I recommend you go for Active monitors. Also, if you want a better version of the MR5s since your willing to go $500, get the MR8s.

I know some of you guys have answered this question one too many times... but any specific recommendations for nearfield monitors? Yamaha HS50M's?

I tried a pair of M-Audio AV 40 but they were really bass heavy and made me feel physically nauseous after a couple minutes of using them. Strange... :confused:

I know some of you guys have answered this question one too many times... but any specific recommendations for nearfield monitors? Yamaha HS50M's?

I tried a pair of M-Audio AV 40 but they were really bass heavy and made me feel physically nauseous after a couple minutes of using them. Strange... :confused:
The Yamaha HS50M looks solid, you might want to get something with more wattage though. :D

I'll read up on the MR8's.

Is a bigger speaker better? Say a 10" or 8" compared to a 6". Is it mostly to do with low end?

Your monitors and your room are the two most significant aspects of your mixing chain. The room you're in is very important, you need to acoustically treat it. There are tons of discussions on how to do so in the Studio Build forums. Doing it DIY is very cheap and, by far, the best bang for the buck for getting great mixes.

Your monitors are a close second, but to me, monitor shopping is a crap shoot. There is no way to know how a particular monitor is going to sound in your room until you get it in your room. I always say, buy the most popular brand then LEARN them in your room by listening to commercial releases by artists/bands who are in the same genre as your material.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it is what it is....

hth just a little,

The KRK RP6 or RP8 G2 monitors are in your price range. For a limited space, I would recommend the RP6. I have the RP6 G1s in my small space, and they sound very good. I am happy with them.

I had those hideous purple Tannoys a couple years ago. Sounded as flamboyant as they looked. :eek:

Got a pair of active Rolands now. 6" woofie, 1" dome. No coloration, no detectable ambiance of their own. :cool:

I like my KRK RP8s, but like Chili said, you can't really know what you want until you hear it in your room.
And get treatment.

From what I have read, researched and learned is that every monitor sucks somehow and basically cheap ones especially suck more because they are cheap. Expensive ones suck less probably because people are ashamed to admit they dished out $1k+ on crappy monitors!

What a cluster fuck... My brain hurts :(

I decided to go with some used Yamaha HS50M's for $237 at my local Daddy's Junky Music store (The name is quite descriptive of what they offer!).

I read the Yamaha's they suck too but I figured I should start somewhere as a comparison and since I am inexperienced I won't feel as stupid spending $237.

You will see the yamahas in most major studio just for the perspective that they give. there not that bad.

But when you get them move away from that wall !!!!!!

:cool:

From what I have read, researched and learned is that every monitor sucks somehow and basically cheap ones especially suck more because they are cheap. Expensive ones suck less probably because people are ashamed to admit they dished out $1k+ on crappy monitors!

What a cluster fuck... My brain hurts :(

I decided to go with some used Yamaha HS50M's for $237 at my local Daddy's Junky Music store (The name is quite descriptive of what they offer!).

I read the Yamaha's they suck too but I figured I should start somewhere as a comparison and since I am inexperienced I won't feel as stupid spending $237.

You're a glass half empty kinda guy huh? :D

That's kind of why I went with the Yamaha's. The price didn't hurt either!

Yeah but... some guy from Walla Walla, WA on some different forum said they suck...

If I can't trust the internet, who am I to trust :D

damn right :D

I read good things about the Yams...nearly went for the 8" ones myself...I did try out a few before a bought my new monitors around two months ago...but in truth, and I know folks will prolly never admit this, I couldnt really hear much difference unless they had different woofer sizes..I know folks say things like boxy, great low end, muddy, fizzy whatever but if I was honest they all sounded pretty much the same to me lol

saying that I record/mix in an untreated room, with my desk against the wrong wall, my monitors too near said wall, 80% of the time I use headphones, Im a bit deaf in my right ear, and they both produce enough ear wax to open a candle making factory :laughings:

I can still get a half decent mix out though :D

I think you'd be surprised at how good sucky monitors can sound once ya treat the room. ;)

:drunk:

No matter what monitors you buy, move them off of that wall. The overhang is killing you.

To position monitors:
If you are in a rectangular room, put your mix position on one of the "short" walls.
Try to have as much symmetry in the room as possible along the line that divides the speakers. Certainly don't put yourself in a corner.
Keep the area around each speaker clear. They should not be near the back wall, under any shelf, or behind any PC monitor.

Back