Looking to replace my crappy monitors...

Unfortunately for the time being I am forced against the wall, so to speak.

I could probably move the speakers out a bit not nothing major. Would squares of foam behind each speaker help against reflecting/bouncing frequencies?

Would squares of foam behind each speaker help against reflecting/bouncing frequencies?
That would probably make it worse since foam doesn't do anything to low frequencies.

Sort out your room before buying new monitors. It doesn't matter what speaker you put in that mix position. It won't work well.

From what I read the Yamaha's lack in low end because they are only 5" speakers. Maybe my un-ideal mixing location will help in that department?

From what I read the Yamaha's lack in low end because they are only 5" speakers. Maybe my un-ideal mixing location will help in that department?
Bad location can do wacky things like cutting a frequency almost entirely while boosting another by double or more. I wouldn't count on it.

I guess I will have to do test all around my place in different locations to see how my "nook" compares to different rooms.

I heard of cd's that contain different frequency sweeps and pink noise that people use as test. Would this be helpful in comparing different locations to mix?

Sweet Mother of Pearl, man!

First things first: Those monitors in the picture are BEHIND your video monitor! And get them on some sort of dampener- even just a mousepad. And farther apart. Your current sweetspot has you leaning over your desk.
Put some studio foam on the overhang above the speakers.

Your new monitors won't really suck less until you address these things. They'll just suck louder:D

Sweet Mother of Pearl, man!

First things first: Those monitors in the picture are BEHIND your video monitor! And get them on some sort of dampener- even just a mousepad. And farther apart. Your current sweetspot has you leaning over your desk.
Put some studio foam on the overhang above the speakers.

Your new monitors won't really suck less until you address these things. They'll just suck louder:D

A mousepad is a great suggestion me ole China! I can get those from the dollar store, another problem solved.

It beats a blank!
I have those fancy-schmanshy Aurelex Mo-Pad gizmos. For as much as they are, I'd would not necessarily buy them again. Their best point is that I can ANGLE my speakers down at me.

Back