Looking For Warmth

Kevlar

Aight i'm looking to get a more full sound out of my mic, or get a new mic if that's what i need to do. I currently have a Studio Projects B-1 an a Vtb-1 pre amp. I love this mic to death but i don't seem to be getting the sound i'm looking for. I tried out a friends tube mic recently and i was very impressed. My question is should i get a better pre amp for my mic? Or should i go ahead an get a new tube mic. Thanks for any help an suggestions

Kevlar

Get whatever mic your buddy had that you liked. You've already tried it and you liked it, right? What's there to discuss?

Well i'm cheap man

That's why i sparked the question? Can i get close to the same results by getting a better pre amp? He has a Studio projects T-3 which is well out of my price range...

thanks again

Kevlar

Re: Well i'm cheap man

Kevlar said:
Can i get close to the same results by getting a better pre amp? He has a Studio projects T-3 which is well out of my price range...

I don't get it. You just said you tried the T-3 and you liked it . . . so now you're wondering if you should get a different preamp? :D Hello (?)

It's interesting logic, though, I have to admit. Kinda' like saying: "Hey man, I just tried on this really cool shirt at the store the other day and I really liked it. Unfortunately, it was out of my price range, so I was wondering: Do you think I should get a new pair of pants? "

If you liked the shirt, then get the shirt. If you liked the pants, then get the pants. The two are not interchangeable and I am bolding the word "not" so as to give this point added emphasis. No, pants are not meant to be worn on your torso, and a shirt was not designed to cover your ass. :D They're two different things with different functions.

Learn to live and cope with this sad, ironic and unfair reality.

Alright, dude rancher. If you're gonna' be that way, then YES. Go get a new pre-amp. It will make your mic sound just like a T3.

That's great man

Well i guess it always starts off with a simply question and ends up like this..but i don't want to start a war or anything...all u had to say was.." No you will not be able to get the sound u are looking for by upgrading your pre amp" that's all i wanted to know...i didn't think it was a big deal man..sorry for asking

Kevlar

I think Kevlar's question wasn't really THAT stupid, like a preamp doesn't infect the way a microphone sounds, now THAT was a stupid answer.
I think if you'de buy a new preamp that willl give you more warmth to your sound, you wont be any cheaper then the T-3.
A b-1 is very good budget mic, which is very neutral, but you'll never get the same warmth like with a tube mike. So i'd say, save some money until you can buy a T-3, Or maybe another warm-sounding mike. Having 2 different mics will never hurt you...

-grtz

You guys are missing the point.

Anyone who starts a thread asking about getting a "warm sound" or "warm-sounding mics" or even just uses the word warm needs to be flogged, beaten, then lashed. :D :D As well as anyone who sticks up for him, Fazil. :D Now I don't want to hear another peep about this, okay?

It's a simple formula. Is that understood?

Track Rat said:
If I use a space heater along with a toob mic, will it make my vocals warmer?
Yes.
It will in the vocal booth, but that warmth probably won't transfer to tape or HD.

:D

So many people ask about "Warming up a sound". Chess is right in a way, anyone asking about warmth should probably be flogged.

People search for warm, warm, warm, and 9 times out of 10 what they get, or what I hear anyway, is dull, dull, dull.
They've "warmed" it up to such a degree that it lacks any real life, and they've killed all the "shimmer and brightness".

WARM! WARM! There....now - I said it. Ya wanna flog me big'un? Go ahead. Put em up. Give it a shot!

Oh, if I get a Voicemaster Pro, will my Behringer B2 sound like a U87 or maybe a Brauner or sumthing. I'm pretty sure it will, but I just want some input. Please tell me it will. My B2 just won't seem to get WARM enough.

Some people get off by showing how smart(or not) they are by nit-picking peoples post. They behave like they have no clue to your question, kinda like a computer - dead accurate, but no common sense. They believe, posting a response, for whatever reason, must be good. At least it increases their post score - get a life! We are all here to help each other, but some people, just like in high school, like to bully those who they think and appear weak. (I am not saying you appear that way - it just that people requiring information exude the appearance of weakness)

Kevlar, I understand you are trying to get a warm sound with your existing set up by replacing either the microphone or the preamp, as a cheaper alternative to buying the expensive T3. And you thought, that this Bulletin Board's collective knowledge may help you achieve that goal. But you must understand that no amount of tweaking and even with the best preamp could make your microphone sound exactly like the T3. If I am not mistaken, your SP - B1 is an FET, and not tube. Close, but not quite. I am sure you have tweaked your VTB1 to your hearts content to get that warm sound still you find yourself lacking. VTB-1 is a very good preamp. So you know it is not the one to replace. I guess, you must save a little bit more for that WARM TUBE sound. But if it is your voice - it's worth it. You don't have to buy the most expensive one, since with that preamp you have, will take you half way there. Good luck and let me know how you do.

Re: That's great man

Kevlar said:
Well i guess it always starts off with a simply question and ends up like this..but i don't want to start a war or anything...all u had to say was.." No you will not be able to get the sound u are looking for by upgrading your pre amp" that's all i wanted to know...i didn't think it was a big deal man..sorry for asking

Kevlar

You have to realise that Chessrock is one of the most respected gurus on this board. Listen to his advice.

tonyA said:
Some people get off by showing how smart(or not) they are by nit-picking peoples post. They behave like they have no clue to your question, kinda like a computer - dead accurate, but no common sense. They believe, posting a response, for whatever reason, must be good. At least it increases their post score - get a life! We are all here to help each other, but some people, just like in high school, like to bully those who they think and appear weak. (I am not saying you appear that way - it just that people requiring information exude the appearance of weakness)

Kevlar, I understand you are trying to get a warm sound with your existing set up by replacing either the microphone or the preamp, as a cheaper alternative to buying the expensive T3. And you thought, that this Bulletin Board's collective knowledge may help you achieve that goal. But you must understand that no amount of tweaking and even with the best preamp could make your microphone sound exactly like the T3. If I am not mistaken, your SP - B1 is an FET, and not tube. Close, but not quite. I am sure you have tweaked your VTB1 to your hearts content to get that warm sound still you find yourself lacking. VTB-1 is a very good preamp. So you know it is not the one to replace. I guess, you must save a little bit more for that WARM TUBE sound. But if it is your voice - it's worth it. You don't have to buy the most expensive one, since with that preamp you have, will take you half way there. Good luck and let me know how you do.

Excellent Post Tony A!!!! Thank YOu and I will keep u informed on how i make....Kevlar

Damn, Kevlar...:(

I just sold my NTK for like $250.00 bucks. Woulda been glad to let you take it offa my hands, instead of the knob I sold it to.

Lookahere: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3706533034&category=41466

-this joint has 7 hrs left & no reserve. Still under 105 beans at the moment-

If you see this in time, maybe you'll get lucky.

People may or may not like it, but it prolly can get the job done for you.

Chessrock is dead-on about if you like your buddy's mic - you should grab one - but I hear you, you can't afford it. Nonetheless, you really got no choice but to save up your cheese to get something that'll get you where you wanna go.

Maybe you need to explore all your eq options within your software, even try some more "unconventional" tweaking approaches to make your mic work for you. I haven't heard any of your stuff, so I can't comment on the mic/pre quality to offer up any concrete suggestions, nor do I even know if I'm capable of offering up any advice that could help you - sorry.

Too bad these cats treated you like some fool they could clown because you used a word that the gear-illuminati feels is taboo. I mean, the whole "warmth" thing is played out, not only by those who ask about aquiring it, but also those who feel the need to berate anyone who asks about it. It's like a fucking intellectual circle jerk. Yuk. "Shimmer & brightness" is probably the next set of words to be on their list. Give it some time, you'll see.

"Newbie" doesn't have to equal "dummy," does it? Of course not, but "experienced" appears to equal "prick(s)," in this case. Your question is similar to ones that fly through here all the time, and for those who spend a lot of time in this forum, it's surely a drag. But, it's also their choice to be here & read the posts.

That being said, lots of dead horses get beat around here, so the, uh, "sensitivity" to the wording of your questions is kinda understandable.

Still, everyone's spot-on about the mic upgrade. If you like your buddy's mic, Like I said, cop one. If it's too steep for you, check for used joints on ebay & at your local music stores, or keep saving.

good luck.

fd

What's funny is

I think i made out better when i just would ask "which one do i buy?" The reason i bought the SP b1 an pre amp was from all the praise it recieved on this board.(along with others) I never tried it out or anything, which is odd for me because i never jump into buying before i test drive the shit outta something. Up untill this post peoples word's carried alot more weight than they do to me now.(with the exception of a few) IMHO I don't feel the question I asked was dumb in any way shape or form. I am not up on a pedestal claiming I know alot about the subject therfore when i ask i question I don't expect someone with more knowledge to belittle me because they think they know everything. I know i couldn't get the SAME exact sound but i wondered if I could save a few bucks by getting a better Pre amp an get close to the sound i was looking for.(TOny Cleared this up for me very easily..thanks again)

Peace,

Kevlar

Back