Looking for that pop/rock tone in commercial productions

LOL Let's see you apologize for calling him a liar and then turn right around and do it again. As to knowing "pros" that is a pretty vague definition that actually means nothing. I've known some "non-pro" players that were incrdable and knew how to get any sound they wanted. It's all up to the player and what he is trying to accomplish. There are very few hard and fast rules in this game.

Yes, but there are some weird stuff that the pros and non-pros do and some stuff that would just be incredibly stupid..... like rolling the bass all the way to 1.

Yeah... "Pros" don't try to fix their eq in the mix by adjusting the amp during the recording phase. In fact most set their amps tone knobs to 12 o' clock until after the perfect mic placement has been found. Then they proceed to tweak their amps to find "their tone" since they know the mic, mic placement, and everything else in the signal chain affects tone. Once their tone has been found and recorded, muddiness is cleaned up in post. Though if recorded correctly it shouldn't need drastic eq changes anyway. Never heard of anyone rolling their bass down to 1 that takes their tone seriously. Maybe 10 o' clock if they have a bass heavy amp and the mic is picking up a lot of lows.

If you can, there is no real replacement for miking up a guitar cab, even if it's a practice amp. I would even go as far to say that even miking up your monitor speakers could be an option.

This process gets the sound 'out of the box' and dedicates the sound to audio - meaning you have to get a good take in the first place.
Messing around with amp simulators is ok if you are in a hurry and just getting ideas down, but if you want a good final result....well that takes time and effort

I've achieved VERY good results with amp sims and they are definitely getting good. But I suppose miking a cab is still the best way to go.

Back