Looking for that pop/rock tone in commercial productions

Dude, I'm not "hurling insults". We're having a discussion about something. Again, maybe you aren't equipped for a disagreement. No problem. Good luck.

Okay, fuck this. :D

I'll do a test. I'll do a mix on my full settings with a strat.

Bass: 8 Mid: 6 Treble: 3

And another one .

Bass: 1 Mid: 6 Treble: 3

I'll post the recordings on here once I'm done.

Okay, fuck this. :D

I'll do a test. I'll do a mix on my full settings with a strat.

Bass: 8 Mid: 6 Treble: 3

And another one .

Bass: 1 Mid: 6 Treble: 3

I'll post the recordings on here once I'm done.

Cool. Me too.

I'm going to use a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro into a Marshall JVM410 - 1960a 4x12. Pretty typical rock and roll guitar setup.

Finished.

I'm surprised at how the no-bass guitars don't sound bad, except for the last one.

I should have used my distortion pedal instead of the amp's horrible drive channel. Oh well, it's bearable at least on the with-bass guitar. And boy am I out of time :D. That's not what's important, though.

I think it's clear to say that the with-bass guitar wins. The actual bass doesn't make up for anything.

I'll be interested in hearing yours as well.

I mean, when there can be 3-4 guitars and only 1 bass, the bass isn't going to make up for anything at all. The only thing turning the bass knob down does is suck some tone.

The only thing turning the bass knob down does is suck some tone.

Right. The bass control on an amp isn't just a range of frequencies. It's not as simple as "well turn down the bass knob to make room for the bass guitar". That's craziness. It doesn't work like that. Most of the ear pleasing roundness and musicality of an electric guitar tone is in the "bass" region. I just can't imagine a session guitarist going into a studio and telling the engineer and producer "hang on, now that we have the amp set up, let me turn my bass knob all the way down so it will fit in the mix". :laughings:

I'll roll bass off the guitar....but that's when it's *in the mix*.....not during tracking.
I mean....could it get you close to the same thing, maybe....but why make a mixing decision during tracking when you don't have to.
It's a lot like the people who will High Pass everything during tracking using the bass cut switch on their mics. What for?
It's only meant to reduce floor rumble....not to be a automatic "must use" pre-mix "EQ".

Find the tone you want....then shape it later in the mix.

Oh....to the OP.....I actually listened to all three of the tracks you mentioned (I want those 15 minutes back in my life :D)...and quite frankly, I wouldn't classify any of them as anything having to do with "Rock".
It's all R&B/Pop...and yes, for that genre, it's a lot about making everything bright and edgy....almost to the point of being annoying, but if you like that stuff, that's cool.
If you actually listen to some Rock or even Pop/Rock....the guitars usually have a lot more balls.

I tried to re-send it, but don't know if it went through or not.....

Anyway, sorry to de-rail the thread, but I'm wondering if you wanna sell just one of the T-75's dude.....lemme know, if you don't wanna split 'em up it's ok, but I only need one.....

I tried to re-send it, but don't know if it went through or not.....

Anyway, sorry to de-rail the thread, but I'm wondering if you wanna sell just one of the T-75's dude.....lemme know, if you don't wanna split 'em up it's ok, but I only need one.....

I don't know yet dude. I kind of don't want to split them, and furthermore I'm not sure if the guy is gonna sell me these 65s yet. I think he's happy to let me use them but he wants to be able to take em back whenever he's ready to actually do something with them - which could be about another 20 years or so.

OK, no biggie man, I didn't think you'd wanna split 'em if you sold 'em, but it's not a big deal. I can find a T-75 pretty easily, I just thought I might try to get one of yours, as I know they're well broken in & I'm pretty sure you take care of your gear......

OK, no biggie man, I didn't think you'd wanna split 'em if you sold 'em, but it's not a big deal. I can find a T-75 pretty easily, I just thought I might try to get one of yours, as I know they're well broken in & I'm pretty sure you take care of your gear......

Yeah if I do decide to sell, I'll let you know first.

I do too, mainly so I can take his stuff and run while he's out cold.

I want at least one of those heads....

I have never gotten the whole connection of playing a guitar and making faces. Save for the face of like concentration or concerted effort.

Getting into something is one thing. Making faces like the turd in the previous video is just gay.

Can we still call stuff gay on this forum?

I want at least one of those heads....

I have never gotten the whole connection of playing a guitar and making faces. Save for the face of like concentration or concerted effort.

Getting into something is one thing. Making faces like the turd in the previous video is just gay.

Can we still call stuff gay on this forum?

I agree. It's super lame when it's obviously a put on.

You're right, I did. I apologize for not remembering that part. I do think you are lying about knowing "pros" that just roll the bass off of everything, but that's neither here nor there..
LOL Let's see you apologize for calling him a liar and then turn right around and do it again. As to knowing "pros" that is a pretty vague definition that actually means nothing. I've known some "non-pro" players that were incrdable and knew how to get any sound they wanted. It's all up to the player and what he is trying to accomplish. There are very few hard and fast rules in this game.

Back