Looking for somebody with good ears to tell me which vocal sounds the cleanest.

C-SLIKK

I just recently set up some acoustics in a corner of my room, and I'm hoping somebody that has better ears than I do are able to listen to these and tell me which vocal sounds the cleanest.

I did two tests, both are on the same .wav file. The first time you hear my voice, I'm facing the acoustic foam I put in the corner of my room on my wall with my back turned to the open area of my room, and the second time through I have my back turned to the foam and I'm facing the open area of my room. this is also without any vocal editing done. i just recorded and exported.

http://anonymous-music.com/mic test with foam.wav

164357_493903352627_507722627_5972023_8344829_n.jpg

that's the way I have it setup.

Last edited:
Put the mic at the 3/4 distance of the room, down the middle...face the long way into the room.

Unless you are right next to walls and hard surfaces...there's really not much need for the foam, which just takes the high-end off the tone and makes things sound dead.

I just recently set up some acoustics in a corner of my room, and I'm hoping somebody that has better ears than I do are able to listen to these and tell me which vocal sounds the cleanest.

I did two tests, both are on the same .wav file. The first time you hear my voice, I'm facing the acoustic foam I put in the corner of my room on my wall with my back turned to the open area of my room, and the second time through I have my back turned to the foam and I'm facing the open area of my room. this is also without any vocal editing done. i just recorded and exported.

http://anonymous-music.com/mic test with foam.wav

164357_493903352627_507722627_5972023_8344829_n.jpg

that's the way I have it setup.

Hi C-Slikk,
First of all, thank you posting this test. I am no expert and am learning, myself. I also will point out that I am very VERY hard of hearing. That said allow me to offer what I can from an "amature with hearing disability"'s perspective.

I opened the wav file in my Window media player and found the audio was not loud enough for me to hear. Therefore, I had
to open up my daw and record the file, copy that recording and paste into a second track.

Track 1 recording of your original file.
Recording of the original file - self-explanitory

Track 2 copy of track 1 1.
a) I needed to normalize the level to be louder. I generally cannot hear anything intelligably at levels below -10 dB (ie -10 dB to -90 dB):

b) EQ Setting modification to bring room ambiance to my hearing ability:
During your speech about both mic orientations, this track's master out peak levels are set at -10 dB to -3 dB with Mid LowL @ 20dB and Mid High @ 20 dB.

MY Observations:
The room ambiance appears to be more pronounced when you are facing the foam and the capsule is facing the room.
The room ambiance appears to be less pronounced when you are facing the room with your back to the foam.
The difference is very subtle but still noticeable to my bad ears.

MY Speculations:
I am assuming that when "you are facing the foam", the mic's capsule is facing the room, therefore, the mic is picking up room ambiance behind your voice.
Also
I am assuming when you are facing the room ("back to the foam"), the microphone (and thus capsule) was rotated 180 degrees and was now facing the foam.

The result of YOU facing the room (back to foam) and the MIC facing the foam, appears to yield a slightly quieter room ambiance
with your voice being a slight bit louder in the peaks - (of course your voice level and distance from mic may have differed slightly between the two orientations).

With the EQ levels set back original non-adjusted setting, the sound difference is extremely hard (for me) to distinguish the difference but after listening to the clip loop over and over and over for about an hour, I must conclude that when your back is
to the foam, the overall sound is slight bit warmer/bassier and quieter than otherwise when you are facing the foam.

So.... if Quiet = "cleaner" to you, then I would say that the "back to the foam" sounds cleaner. If you want a smidgeon of room ambiance, then face the foam.

Conclusion:
For my ears, if I wanted to hear the difference, I would need to boost the mid lo and mid hi EQ some 20dB to actually hear the difference. However, that boost most likely would equate to a very bright harsh treble heavy sound to other people with much better hearing or normal hearing.

Back to foam sounds cleaner/quieter (to me)

What would be interesting is an identical test WITHOUT the foam, so we can hear the difference between foamed and bare wall
situations.

Foam is a horrible thing to use for acoustics....and singing in to a corner is the worst place to record.

Besides that, you're on the right track.

Foam is a horrible thing to use for acoustics....and singing in to a corner is the worst place to record.

Besides that, you're on the right track.

That's what I thought(recording in a corner is terrible, I always thought foam worked well?) and than I did some research on "recording vocals in a corner of a bedroom" off of google, and most of the sites encouraged it if you have other elements in your room that would affect the sound if the mic was in the middle.

I do plan on buying an sE Reflexion Filter this Friday when I get paid, so I can have my back turned to the foam, and the Reflexion Filter facing the middle of my room, and if that makes my sound TOO dry, than I'll take down the foam and use the Reflexion Filter in the middle of the room.

miroslav,
curiously, does my response to C-Slikk make sense to you??

Nothing makes sense to me anymore. :)

Your observations about the sound differences between the two vocals are pretty good overall...if that's what you are asking...?

I do plan on buying an sE Reflexion Filter this Friday when I get paid, so I can have my back turned to the foam, and the Reflexion Filter facing the middle of my room, and if that makes my sound TOO dry, than I'll take down the foam and use the Reflexion Filter in the middle of the room.

You can try the filter...it might work fine...but really, you may not need it at all.
Stand somewhere in the middle of the room away from any walls, clap your hands and listen for any flutter echo. If the ceiling is only the typical 8' high and bare sheetrock and you hear any flutter echo, it's probably coming off the ceiling above your head...and I don’t know how much the filter will help for that right out in front of you.

So for just the vocals...all you might need to do is be away from walls and sing down the long end of the room. The filter might stop wall echoes...but there's the ceiling to consider.

I don’t use any kind of filter out in front of the mic for vocals…but my studio has acoustic treatment on some of the walls, and I also attached some typical 2’x4’ drop-ceiling acoustic tiles directly to my ceiling with some silicone adhesive caulk…not the whole ceiling, but only in a few spots to take out the flutter echo form the ceiling. Plus, part of my studio floor has carpeting and the rest is wood tile…so it’s a nice blend of hard/soft surface and I don’t have much need for any filters.
The thing with some mic reflection filters (and too much foam) is that it can make your vocals real dry/dead sounding. I know you can add some “space” later on when mixing…but it’s not quite the same as having a little life in the room during tracking.

Find a balance.

Back