Looking for Fostex R8 parts.

Actually, maybe someone can advise?
The tension roller caps are missing; I presume they prevent the roller from coming away from the machine?

Anyway, in playback the rollers sit where they're meant to be, more or less.

Fast forward is the same but in rewind the rollers work themselves down the shaft away from the machine.
They won't come off but their natural resting point skews the tape off its path.

Do I just need new shafts/rollers/caps?

The best way I can describe this is that it works but you'd definitely keep an eye on it!

Last edited:
Looks like they're the same as the little cap for the pinch roller.
It's just tight enough to keep everything in check, but it could pop off and be lost handy enough, I guess.

The actual shafts and rollers aren't missing. One of the shafts was bent but I straightened it out pretty well.

PM sent.

I could get to my parts deck after all. Problem, they look different. The tension arms are three pieces, a back plate, white plastic cylinder that rotates and then a black top cap. the top cap has threads on the outside and it and screws into the shaft. (Does that make sense?) From the picture, it looks like the R8 either snaps on or the threads are the opposite way. Or put another way the cap has a spindle that has the screw threads on it. The tension arm shaft has a hole to screw into. I don't know why I can't articulate that better.

Check out this thread:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ing-tension-rollers-another-fostex-r8-338048/

Also, this guy has an R8 for parts:

AudioProz - Welcome to Audioproz.com

Thanks for the tips.

It does sound like yours are totally different, but thanks anyway. Good to know. :)

My rollers just slide on to the shaft and the caps would just snap on I guess.
I think the rollers should stay in place even without caps/covers.
I think maybe the plastic rollers are just worn and that's why they work loose.

Last edited:
Is there any reason you can't use the deck horizontally instead of vertically? I had to do that with an OTari of mine because the damn reel hubs don't stay locked down.

the roller on your photo looks very diffrent from what I have on R8,
here's link to photos and close ups showing how to remove the roller:
http://www.mzentertainment.com/pics/fostex_r8/dr_zee_workshop_fostex_r8_project_part_1.jpg

there are two small washers on the shaft one one each side of the roller, those are important to have.

One of my top caps was missing. I fixed it by snugging a small cut of plastic tubing (stripped from a wire) on the shaft. See the attched picture.

Attachments

• fostex r8 roller hold down.JPG
    fostex r8 roller hold down.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 75
uh,
after looking again at your photos now I think that in addition to top caps your rollers are also "missing" a part of them - the top (or say - front) flange. I am not sure if it's 100% the case, hmmmmmmmmmmmm ... looks kinda' strange :drunk::drunk::drunk:

You are correct DR ZEE.
It looks like the missing disc is larger in diameter than the tape path.
This makes sense....

I just fashioned a pair of plastic discs which pop on, hold the rollers in place, and keep the tape from running off the edge.

FFd+RWd a full reel with a few stops and plays in between, and so far it seems tip top.
I'll stick a photo up shortly.

Now all I gota do is find out if I have a use for this thing! lol.
The only thing I'd use it for is bouncing digital stems out to it and summing them back to PC.
No idea if it'll be worth while.

Last edited:
steen' :thumbs up: How are the heads on this one?

For the masses reading this thread, just so there is no confusion, the parts machine I refer to earlier is a Model 80 not the R8.

The same thing happened to one of mine. Luckily, I found it and was able to glue it back on. So far, it works perfectly.

Blue Jinn is correct as well, though. You could just use the deck horizontally. It states that in the manual.

Well, the discs as pictured worked, but they were static which meant the tape could rub against them.
I bored out the hole, glued them to the plastic rollers, and used plastic tubing as Dr ZEE suggested.

It seems to be pretty much perfect now. :)

Jinn : The heads seem to be fine. It came from the same studio as my mint tascam 22-2. Hardly any use.
The 22-2 was stored inside for years but unfortunately the fostex must have been stored somewhere rough for a while and took a knock or two.

I did a test recording earlier and it was levels were wavering a little, but I've since cleaned the heads. I suspect that'll sort it.
I'll try with good tape tomorrow.

Sorry - These pics aren't great.

IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1498.JPG

Last edited:
Back