Looking for a SW recording system that integrates audio and midi well

macmike

I've been trying to learn Studio One but it is so darn unfriendly to midi...at least from this newbee's perspective anyway.

Here's what I vision... a software recording system that you can load/import a midi file, then have it play your midi synthesizer.

After that, you can add vocals, harmony vocals or guitar or whatever to an on screen mix which would be a combination of audio and midi instruments.
To be able to make tweeks and effects etc. Then burn to CD Or wave or whatever.

That, to me, looks like how I'd like to record myself and make CDs etc.

I bought a pretty nice Mac quad core Mini for running a SW recording system. None of my PCs are suitable really.
But I'm not sure if Studio One is gonna cut it for me though.
I got Studio One with a Presonus 1602 interface/mixer so I went that way because of that.

My Yamaha Tyros 4 keyboard has many nice voices but it only has 2 stereo outputs. That makes recording to a regular multitrack a little under whelming.

Editing the midi can be done on the Tyros but not the singing tracks. Usually I would guess as to how to mix the midi song without vocal.

But I'd like to be able to mix the individual midi tracks along with the vocal and hear it all together to get a mix with an on screen mix editor.

I've been told, and it seems apparent, that an integrated midi/audio solution via a computer based recording system is the only way to do that.

Like I said, Studio One doesn't allow importing a midi file. That makes me want to find a program that does.

What say the experts out there? Am I asking for too much?

Not asking too much. Cubase is very popular and will do pretty much anything you need. But like most every other recording program out there, it will take a decent amount of effort on your part to learn how to use it.

Not asking too much. Cubase is very popular and will do pretty much anything you need. But like most every other recording program out there, it will take a decent amount of effort on your part to learn how to use it.

+1 My son was doing exactly that. He was in fact recording most of his audio via Samplitude SE8 because that makes it very easy to export .wavs. These were slotted into Cubase LE6 and he could edit the whole lot along with MIDI generated drum and piano parts (Pianoteq) .

Mind you my friend, he was spending 8 hours a day on this stuff for a very few minutes of music. If it were easy, everyone (inc' moir!) would do it!

You USED to be able to get a free trial of Cubase. Where is the only human being Steinberg have employed when you need him?

Dave.

I have never used a midi file but I just downloaded one to test. I downloaded Mozart Requiem. All I had to do to get it into Studio One was drag and drop. Drag it to a place where you don't have a track currently and it's there.

I think pretty much every DAW out there will do what you want.
It's just a case of getting used to the one you have, or finding one that you gel with straight away.

Are you using the version of studio one that came with the 16.0.2 or did you upgrade? If you didn't upgrade you are still using the Artist version of the software which is pretty limiting. You can't import mp3, midi, can't use 3rd party plugins.

I did the upgrade from Artist to Producer for $99 on their website. It gave me all that functionality. You can upgrade to professional if you want that will give you an entire "Mastering Suite". I don't know what that is so I haven't tried it.

Ok just double checked to make sure I could make it work. I started a new project. Drag the .mid file to a new track (not a track that's created, your next blank line). It asks if you want to import general midi sounds and I clicked yes. Then I click instruments on the right hand side and drag the instrument I want over each of the newly imported tracks. I am now playing midi files.

First time doing this so forgive the extra post

These are some pretty interesting comments. Cubase is pretty spendy (Thanks Chili and ecc83).
It would take a lot more understanding of it for me to plunk down that kind of moolah.
And you say they don't offer a demo version? That's surprising.
There seems to be a lot of books for sale on understanding Cubase. Wouldn't a manual suffice?
Also. I'll check out Reaper, Thanks Jonny.

But to Polarity's question: I have the Studio One Artist version. I assume what you did, with the dragging of the midi, was done with the Professional version right?

Actually, if the Professional version is only $99 dollars more, that would be a good solution if it works. I've become a little wary to all these products claims.
I'm sure you all know what I mean. But I'm not 100% committed to Studio One until I can see that it does handle midi the way I want.
Maybe I need to try out the Professional version and give Polarity's method a try. I guess I need to look into that more.

Cubase is pretty spendy (Thanks Chili and ecc83).
It would take a lot more understanding of it for me to plunk down that kind of moolah....

...Actually, if the Professional version is only $99 dollars more, that would be a good solution if it works.

Well, you wouldn't need the full blown version. You probably would be quite happy with Cubase Elements at $99. Studio One Producer upgrade is $99, not the Professional version.

good luck,

No, the professional version is a bit more. You can go from Artist to Producer for $99. Producer gives you all the pieces you have asked about. Going to Professional gives you a "mastering suite". I have no idea what a mastering suite is so I didn't opt for it... I have producer and it lets me import midi.

Yes, Producer, not Professional. I wrote that wrong the first time. Thanks Polarity, Chili too. Elements might be a good alternative also. Thanks. I have a ticket with Presonus support. They won't answer till Monday though.
I'll ask specifically about that. That just might be the 'ticket' :-) Thanks for your help.

Well, I just discovered why I wasn't receiving anything on my Tyros keyboard.
I had unchecked the Song mark in the row of checks for Local control in the Tyros midi configuration pages.
I was thinking that that should be unchecked because I didn't want local control. On a lark, I checked it and it started to receive.
I'm not sure what some of the Yamaha midi markings mean sometimes. I guess the USB clock setting over rides that or something (or something :-)
In any case, after checking that, it was playing back a midi from a demo version of MultitrackStudio on my Tyros keyboard.
And playing my Tyros keyboard sounds as well. Just what I wanted. Wow, it actually works.
Not a bad program too...nice and simple. I just might buy it. I like to keep it as simple as possible. MultiTrackStudio is that.
Ahhh learn and live.

Back