Looking for a good Vocal/ Guitar Room mic

Toker41

Better Than You
Any suggestions on a good LD vocal mic that can also be used as a room mic on high gain guitar cabs? Trying to stay under (or at least not much over) the $200 mark.

Me too.

Our specific situation is my bass playing friend and I play in a well-treated smallish wood-floored room (14x14x9.5), he plays through 3 amps and I play through 6, with all the speakers on the floor, half on one side of the room, the other half the other. I record everything direct and close-miked with e609's and we've thought it would be nice to have a couple of room mics to capture more of what we actually hear.

I've thought about a stereo ribbon pair, each about 5' from it's set of speakers.

Any recommendations or ideas are very much appreciated.

9 amps in one room? Start with a hand grenade and then go direct with the bass and put a ribbon on your new Super

Haha, yeah I understand the absurdity of it, 9 amps in one 14x14x9.5 room. But the walls are stucco and plaster and we've treated the room such that the neighbor's 1 year old twins haven't gone Chucky on them or us yet, so I think we're getting away with it. I think it's quieter than a drummer actually (Boss, the drum machine, doesn't overpower anything). And it sounds good.

And we've been doing this for four years now but are just now thinking about room mics.

I was thinking of a pair of fatheads. 3 guitar amps, one drum machine amp, one(plus one on the other side) bass amp pointed at each fathead 5' away.

Any other ideas?

Shure 520DX with low-impedance XLR mod, inside a man's size 11 knee-high athletic sock, wrapped in tin (not aluminum) foil and stuffed in your trousers.

He's got an armadillo in his trousers!!!

spinal_tap1.jpg

Does it have to be a tube sock?

But seriously . . . .

Attachments

• tube sock 1.jpg
    tube sock 1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 69
  • tube sock 2.jpg
    tube sock 2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 65
Not my favorite vocal condenser, but the CAD M179 is a great workhorse LDC with multi-patterns, pad, and roll-off and could handle just about any task you throw at it. There may still be some places selling them for $129 if you look around (normally $199).

May not sound too good

Shure 520DX with low-impedance XLR mod, inside a man's size 11 knee-high athletic sock, wrapped in tin (not aluminum) foil and stuffed in your trousers.

mshilarious,

That may not sound too good but it will sure get the girls interested.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back