Looking at a new Ride Cymbal - Zildjian K Custom 22" Dark Ride.

Bubba po

Tiny Stonehenge Moment
Ok, so this is going to my be son's 18th birthday present:

preview.jpg

We've played it in the shop and my son's thrilled with it, only we have no idea how it performs in a band situation. Any of you lot have any experience with this cymbal? It sounds as if it will record beautifully.

Attachments

• download_118687.mp3
    576.7 KB · Views: 53
They're not my personal favorite, but Ks are a top of the line cymbal used by elite pros worldwide. In what kind of band situation will it be used? Blazing hardcore punk rock or metal? Probably not the best choice. Any other style and it will perform perfectly.

They're not my personal favorite, but Ks are a top of the line cymbal used by elite pros worldwide. In what kind of band situation will it be used? Blazing hardcore punk rock or metal? Probably not the best choice. Any other style and it will perform perfectly.

Cheers, Greg. His own style is tending towards stuff with more space and a lighter touch such as Fusion or Jazz-rock, but he's not in any bands of that type at the moment. I expect he will do when he goes to college in October.

Cheers, Greg. His own style is tending towards stuff with more space and a lighter touch such as Fusion or Jazz-rock, but he's not in any bands of that type at the moment. I expect he will do when he goes to college in October.

That cymbal will be perfect for that style of music. It's made just for that.

You know, thinking about it, you might have him try a 20" ride. Same K model and all that, but if they make a 20" version that might be better for him. A 22" ride is a great size, but they're kind of "slow" and they sustain for a long time. By slow, I mean they take a little more action to get moving. A 20" will be a little quicker and more articulate if he's gonna be doing a lot of stick work on it. But definitely have him try one if you can. He might still prefer the 22.

You know, thinking about it, you might have him try a 20" ride. Same K model and all that, but if they make a 20" version that might be better for him. A 22" ride is a great size, but they're kind of "slow" and they sustain for a long time. By slow, I mean they take a little more action to get moving. A 20" will be a little quicker and more articulate if he's gonna be doing a lot of stick work on it. But definitely have him try one if you can. He might still prefer the 22.

As it happens, He tried just about every top-class ride on the racks. :D They had an incredible amount of stock - there were 10+ rides in the K and K Custom range alone, never mind the A Customs, Keropes and hybrids. He even tried the 22" Constantinople, which was so subtle and complex it would ruin the effect if any other instruments were playing at all! That was over half a grand Sterling. :eek: The shop guy was so helpful and patient, I feel really guilty that we were just showrooming and we're going to buy one someplace else. :o

A real shop, though, not online. :)

As it happens, He tried just about every top-class ride on the racks. :D They had an incredible amount of stock - there were 10+ rides in the K and K Custom range alone, never mind the A Customs, Keropes and hybrids. He even tried the 22" Constantinople, which was so subtle and complex it would ruin the effect if any other instruments were playing at all! That was over half a grand Sterling. :eek: The shop guy was so helpful and patient, I feel really guilty that we were just showrooming and we're going to buy one someplace else. :o

A real shop, though, not online. :)

Ah well shit that's great. Sounds like yall did the research. :thumbs up:

That there is a nice cymbal. I use a 22" K Light Ride and its baller as fuck IMO. It works for me even in heavier situations though it can wash itself out a bit of you get into it too much. Also not bad for a lighter crash/ride sound as well.

Ah well shit that's great. Sounds like yall did the research. :thumbs up:

Yup. We'll give them a side-by side again, shortly. Unfortunately there has been a country-wide price increase in the few days since we got our quote for the 22. I expect they'll honour that quote, but I can't see them doing the same for the 20.

That there is a nice cymbal. I use a 22" K Light Ride and its baller as fuck IMO. It works for me even in heavier situations though it can wash itself out a bit of you get into it too much. Also not bad for a lighter crash/ride sound as well.

Cheers, Liv. I'm just getting ready to go pull the trigger on this, cash. :)

This is the last major purchase I'm going to make for him, though. Now he's 18, if he wants stuff as nice as this in future he's going to have to find some way of funding it himself.

I have the k custom medium in 22, which is a little heavier with less wash. I really like it. If you go to the memphis drum shop page they have sound clips of everything.

Back