Live recording on video/webcam

Carla_Anne

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum! :) I have a problem which I was wondering if someone could assist me with. I play the keyboard and sing and have been attempting to record myself playing/singing on video for youtube etc!

I am using the Alesis io2 preamp

I have this particular preamp USB cabled to my laptop, (running Vista). I then plug in my recording microphone (Rhodes NT2) and my keyboard cable into the two channel outputs.

The problem I am getting is that I cannot record in stereo. It only seems to record in mono which is a problem as I'd like to get a nice sound from both vocals/keyboard. To make it even more confusing the vocals and keyboard sound comes out through both ears on my headphones on the laptop, yet only through one ear on my IPad! This is confusing the hell out of me!! :confused:

Okay so to cut a long story short. Perhaps its not designed to record stereo? I tried unplugging the keyboard and singing through the mic allowing it to pick up the keyboard sound through the mic but again it only came out through one ear! There is a mono/stereo switch on the preamp but it makes no difference which I choose. I did upload my live video to youtube and someone said I only came out through one ear of their phones.. grrr..! I don't see a way around this currently and it's a bit frustrating as I've twiddled with all the sound settings in the video editor etc.

I'd like to know if anyone else has tried to record a live setup on a webcam or video and had problems with sound?

Sorry if anything I've said sounds daft ;)
Thanks for any insight!

PS: If anyone wants to check the vid/sound for me to see how I can improve it, I'll message a link, I don't want to spam this site.

What software are you using to do the recording? The interface provides 2 separate channels, so you shoulkd have the software set to record the mic and the keyboard each on a separate channel, then pan those channels to center (sounds like they are both set to the left or right).

I used Debut Video Capture Software. There aren't any settings to 'pan' or adjust the left/right channels. I don't think its meant for that type of audio set up. I'm thinking that perhaps i need to buy a mixer to do this! Annoyingly.

I think the best way for you to do this and get better results would be to get a DAW such a Reason or one of the many out there, recording your song through that then when you want to make the video just 'mime' along and sync the two together.

Back