liar!

I like the idea you have with this track mate, I do remember hearing it a couple of weeks back but didn't comment then.

I'm still learning this game so don't hold me to anything but, I'd compress the shit out of your lead vocal in this case cause I feel it really needs the lift as it's up n down a lot. But I'd lower the db abit in the wierd chorus part as this comes in a little loud. Also, because it's panning so much, your vocal doesn't stand a chance of getting over it(the part where you're saying what's with these voices), the panning chorus is already fighting for space with itself and so an alternative would be to pan it to one side and have your vocal on the other but then you'll lose the wierd effect you were after and so EQ, verb and compression is probably the way to go.
As for the beat...through my headphones I can't fault it. Will be interested to see how this one pans(excuse the pun) out.

Mart.

what compression setting would you recommend trying on the vocals?

Well of course that depends on the compressor used and wether it's hardware or a plugin etc and you need to experiment but, just start box standard. Insert it on the main rap vocal and wind the threshold up. As the vocal drops in volume, keep turning up the makeup(output) volume to compensate. Then play with the attack/release until you get a vocal where you can hear every word without any paticular word sounding too loud or too quiet. You're aiming to get it all at one volume.

AT thE MoMEnt your vOCal sOUNds like thiS

YOU NEED TO GET IT ALL TO SOUND LIKE THIS.

Hope this helps...

Mart.

yeah, the vocals were recorded in different days with different mic placements and whatever so i know there are volume differences.

i only have the software compresser that came with cakewalk sonar and i tried compressing with various settings and none made it sound completely even. The compression used in the mp3 i put up was the preset that was 3:1.

Here's a link to some of my favourite free vst plugins. 'Modern Antress'
Here you'll find a few good compressors as well as other things. I've used the 'Modern Antress' compressor a few times, it's the 2nd plug down available in black or silver.
I really love these plugs cause they look awesome, yea I know we're not suposed to be fooled by a GUI but I just can't help it with these plugins and besides, I think they sound great.

A warning though...these plugs are very CPU dependant. If you download the complete bundle, it's best to sort them into individual folders like 'compressors', 'EQ' etc cause I had them all in one folder the once and they slowed my computer right down...I had to empty most of them out.

It's best to try them one at a time really. Anyway, here's the link if you wanna have a look:-
http://antress.webng.com/

Mart.

I think you could get the result with compression...or you could just boost the vox! I kind of like the unhomoginized voice.

There's a larger problem, though. The bass is clipping the track badly, roughly around 60/125 Hz. Distortion. And that's another thing stealing thunder from the vox.

Real close. Nice idea and tune. I like it.....except for the 'fuzz' factor on the bass.

In fact, I think this tune would go over the top with an upright string bass! A quick decay...the strings, ctr, are carrying the sustain load...and that, alone, would give your vox a lot of clarity, right there. And upright would be sweet and retro-kool.... Try it...kill the bass audio...go back to the midi track, and sample upright bass instead.

the bass is clipping the track? throughout the song or just the intro?

i have one bass in the intro part in which i intentionally put a distortion effect on it to make it fuzzier. Then there's a different bass during the vocals part which is pretty much a regular electric bass.

i made a new version with all the old bass stuff taken out and replaced with an upright bass as you suggested. Here is the link. http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=18720

thanks for the links mart,
as far as the vocals go, i just finished trying various compression settings, and then tried to compress it after i compressed it and no matter what the vocals weren't uniform throughout. I think maybe the only way for someone with my level of mixing ability (relatively low) to make it uniform is to create like 5-8 tracks with different volume levels and then cut up the vocals and place them in the new tracks depending on how loud it is.

outside of that, i dont know what to do.

Back