Les Paul Junior group build thread : Outline and the way forward.

You are not alone.

Yeh but I cant mic up a Marshall stack for shit and you should here my try and play drums... Or rather you don't want to....;)

Hopefully if we get no further input here I will get the build thread started in the next day or two. I'm waiting for Chatar to get back to me with a possible option for somewhere to host the plans for download... If that isn't an option I'll setup a dedicated dropbox or similar... I can see a possibility that there maybe a few plans and files that will need hosting so it would be good to get them in one place. The upload limit here is a bit last century...

Yeh but I cant mic up a Marshall stack for shit and you should here my try and play drums... Or rather you don't want to....;)

Hopefully if we get no further input here I will get the build thread started in the next day or two. I'm waiting for Chatar to get back to me with a possible option for somewhere to host the plans for download... If that isn't an option I'll setup a dedicated dropbox or similar... I can see a possibility that there maybe a few plans and files that will need hosting so it would be good to get them in one place. The upload limit here is a bit last century...

I use Dropbox, Copy, and Photobucket all very regularly and with good results. Any one of those would be good hosting IMO.

Photobucket is particularly good IMO for pics because it's easy to post the pics in here and they automatically resize so you don't have any issues like you know who....

Yeh I have photobucket too but some of these files are not standard images so Dropbiox will probably be better. I will try and setup a dedicated account so that I can just leave it and the files will remain in perpetuity..

I opened a dropbox account a few weeks ago, but haven't used in much yet. I guess I'll have to look at it some more, and figure it out.

I like photobucket, and use it a lot, but the images associated with this should be hosted by HR to protect them from being lost.
I use Dropbox, Copy, and Photobucket all very regularly and with good results. Any one of those would be good hosting IMO.

Photobucket is particularly good IMO for pics because it's easy to post the pics in here and they automatically resize so you don't have any issues like you know who....
Large images are fine as long as the file size isn't huge. If the images are edited carefully, the file size can be minimized. I'm guilty of big images, but they're usually only 100-150kb, and load quickly.

I opened a dropbox account a few weeks ago, but haven't used in much yet. I guess I'll have to look at it some more, and figure it out.

I like photobucket, and use it a lot, but the images associated with this should be hosted by HR to protect them from being lost.
Large images are fine as long as the file size isn't huge. If the images are edited carefully, the file size can be minimized. I'm guilty of big images, but they're usually only 100-150kb, and load quickly.

Dropbox is great because it can host any file type and it's pretty much just a folder like any other without any other stuff associated with. If we do this right when people sign up if they do it through your account or mine then we get more storage space. Win/win.;)

We are good to go. I have a few projects on the bench right now but I should have time tomorrow to start the build thread and kick off the tools aspect.

Excellent. We should ask members that dont have an account to sign up through ours. That way we can get the bonus storage...:thumbs up:

Haven't PM'd you today but as I said I'm going to start tomorrow with a basic tool run down. I am fully expecting you to add, subtract and embellish... As I said somewhere earlier, I am coming from a perspective that everything is there for me and I may take some things for granted. It's not meant in a derogatory way but you will probably be more "in touch" with the hobby/part time builder and be able to pickup on my brushing past important stuff...

Excellent. We should ask members that dont have an account to sign up through ours. That way we can get the bonus storage...:thumbs up:

Haven't PM'd you today but as I said I'm going to start tomorrow with a basic tool run down. I am fully expecting you to add, subtract and embellish... As I said somewhere earlier, I am coming from a perspective that everything is there for me and I may take some things for granted. It's not meant in a derogatory way but you will probably be more "in touch" with the hobby/part time builder and be able to pickup on my brushing past important stuff...

The dropbox does seem to be pretty handy for this type of thing.

I'm ready when You are. Anxious actually. Most of my methods, and processes are self taught, or acquired by research. I'm looking forward to this as a rich learning experience. You'll gladly get my input as "the guy who makes guitar's in his garage" I'm happy to help.

The dropbox does seem to be pretty handy for this type of thing.

I'm ready when You are. Anxious actually. Most of my methods, and processes are self taught, or acquired by research. I'm looking forward to this as a rich learning experience. You'll gladly get my input as "the guy who makes guitar's in his garage" I'm happy to help.

Mn, you have made some fine instruments and your approach is what anyone attempting this should need to be striving for. Not what I do as I have been doing it day in day out for years....You are living proof that it can be done and what you need to do. The only difference between you and me is a few years doing it and a few more instruments and tools under the belt. Don't do yourself down. Anyone starting out should get as much inspiration if not more from you... Don't forget it was you that finally got me into pickup winding after years of dabbling... You have the power.

Thanks Man, I'm proud of my work. I didn't intend to sound like I was discounting it. I have much to learn though. I'm glad I'm involved, and happy I can help.

Thanks Man, I'm proud of my work. I didn't intend to sound like I was discounting it. I have much to learn though. I'm glad I'm involved, and happy I can help.

Any way it ain't about you and me, it's about inspiring people to take the plunge.... It's got to be totally doable if nothing else.

I'm hoping to take a shot at this. I've put together two guitars, first one I really screwed up the bridge placement and cost me $$$ to fix. Second one still waiting to get the nut cut and set-up by a tech. I'm in the middle of building a pedalboard so hopefully can get that done soon so I can take advantage of all the knowledge Muttley and JCH will be sharing. You two certainly are very encouraging so I'm looking forward to building along; now to decide which one, single cut or double cut?

For the fingerboard I'll use a pre-slotted, and pre-radiused rosewood board from stewmac. I'm doing this for a few reasons: They are very consistent in quality and will simplify the process for all. Some of the fretting tools are expensive, and require some learned skill. Finally, and Importantly I'll be able to give an accurate bridge location to anyone using the same hardware, and scale. I've bought pre-slotted boards from other sources that required a lot of work to make them usable. I've never had that problem with the stewmac boards.

Just ftr.. I will be cutting the f/board from a blank and slotting it. There are some easy jigs to make to get it done.. A preslotted is not a problem and they don't cost a heap more than a plain blank.

Back