Les Paul Junior group build thread : Outline and the way forward.

Hey Muttley - will you be making a list like JCH's, but for the UK? While I can't do the build along right now, I'd like to come back at some point and have a go at this.

Absolutely.

If you follow the build as it goes you will also get info on what I will be using. The difference between JCH and myself is that I have access to trade stuff so will mostly be using that. I will definitely give alternative UK suppliers for everything that is needed. The stuff JCH has listed from China or other parts of Asia are available via ebay here as well.

Meanwhile in a garage in Las Vegas...

Everything that I ordered Monday arrived yesterday, and today, Friday via standard shipping. It still amazes me how fast I can have these pieces in my hands. Not only did the parts that I ordered show up, but Dan at guitarpartsusa threw in a bunch of free extras with my order. A dogear baseplate, keeper bar, bobbin, pole screws, and a bell knob. Outstanding!

I now have all of the components required to complete the guitar in my hands, and within a time span of about two weeks. It would have been sooner if I hadn't waited to order the parts I was buying domestically. See how easy that was?

So your total was around $90 or thereabouts? Thanks for posting those screen shots of your orders. That will come in handy. I didn't see the truss rod on there. Last week I looked at the truss rods, I think on Stew-Mac, but couldn't figure out which one I would need to get. I haven't ordered anything yet, not sure if I'm going to be able to start this yet. But just want to be prepared when I can. I did find a place locally that sells lumber, including mahogany and such. I should call sometime, just too busy with family situations right now.

So your total was around $90 or thereabouts? Thanks for posting those screen shots of your orders. That will come in handy. I didn't see the truss rod on there. Last week I looked at the truss rods, I think on Stew-Mac, but couldn't figure out which one I would need to get. I haven't ordered anything yet, not sure if I'm going to be able to start this yet. But just want to be prepared when I can. I did find a place locally that sells lumber, including mahogany and such. I should call sometime, just too busy with family situations right now.
Family first and foremost, but whenever you're ready, the parts don't add up to very much. I wouldn't be able to do this myself if I couldn't do it cheap.

There are a few other things that you don't see besides the truss rod, like fretwire, and a nut. I build my own truss rods. There's an adjuster nut in the picture. I get those several at a time. I buy fret wire by the pound usually, and I have a big piece of corian that I make nuts out of. I make as many of the little things as I can, and look for the best prices when I'm buying parts. It's not hard to make a nice guitar without spending big.

Family first and foremost, but whenever you're ready, the parts don't add up to very much. I wouldn't be able to do this myself if I couldn't do it cheap.

There are a few other things that you don't see besides the truss rod, like fretwire, and a nut. I build my own truss rods. There's an adjuster nut in the picture. I get those several at a time. I buy fret wire by the pound usually, and I have a big piece of corian that I make nuts out of. I make as many of the little things as I can, and look for the best prices when I'm buying parts. It's not hard to make a nice guitar without spending big.

Yeah, I looked up the fretwire from your other post. Could you take a look at the truss rods on stewmac and advise on which one I should get for future reference? There are several. I would think the Gibson truss rod, but I try not to assume anything because it usually gets me into trouble.

Got my tuners and bridge in the mail today. I don't think i want the hassle of making a pickup so i'll probably buy my p-90.

Yeah, I looked up the fretwire from your other post. Could you take a look at the truss rods on stewmac and advise on which one I should get for future reference? There are several. I would think the Gibson truss rod, but I try not to assume anything because it usually gets me into trouble.

I buy just the nuts, and make rods similar to the traditional rods from stewmac. I would prefer those to the newer Gibson type. On a traditional style truss rod, it's necessary to have a fillet piece that is glued into the neck. This requires more work than a pre-made style that only needs a flat rout to be installed, and lie directly beneath the fingerboard. I've always used the traditional style except for once I used a recycled truss rod. From my limited experience i prefer the traditional. They seem more solid.

Here's one of my truss rod installations;

The easiest and most reliable truss rod to fit for a first time build is the Martin u box style. I'd recommend one of those. It requires only a straight route and drops straight into the channel with no anchoring. I used them for years and have never had one fail. These days I use a double action rod but thats only because I had a hundred of them made up by a local machine shop. As JCH says you can easily make your own, in which case go for the traditional Gibson style. I'm not a fan of those because eventually they can eat into the neck. I like a truss rod that pulls on itself, hence the box section or dual action rods are my preference.

Hey JCH, can you PM a brief spec of what you intend to build. How close it is to the drawing and what neck construction you intend to use? I want to finalise what I'm doing and I'll try and introduce a few alternative construction methods. Once we have that I will start off with the basic build thread and move on some advice on materials and tonewood options.

Got my tuners and bridge in the mail today. I don't think i want the hassle of making a pickup so i'll probably buy my p-90.
Very Cool! I like getting those packages from overseas.

Making a pickup isn't hard to do. If you send me a bobbin, I'll spool it up and pot it for you. The rest of the construction is easy, plus you will have a custom pickup to your specs made from the best parts, and you'll save a bunch of cash for other parts of the project. Why buy it if you can make it?

muttley said:
The easiest and most reliable truss rod to fit for a first time build is the Martin u box style. I'd recommend one of those. It requires only a straight route and drops straight into the channel with no anchoring. I used them for years and have never had one fail. These days I use a double action rod but thats only because I had a hundred of them made up by a local machine shop. As JCH says you can easily make your own, in which case go for the traditional Gibson style. I'm not a fan of those because eventually they can eat into the neck. I like a truss rod that pulls on itself, hence the box section or dual action rods are my preference.
When I began building I opted for the traditional method mainly because it seemed more DIY, and it was "traditional". It's much less involved to use a box section rod, and I too would recommend one for first timers', but if anyone wants to go the traditional route, I'll be going over my technique for those.

Hey JCH, can you PM a brief spec of what you intend to build. How close it is to the drawing and what neck construction you intend to use? I want to finalise what I'm doing and I'll try and introduce a few alternative construction methods. Once we have that I will start off with the basic build thread and move on some advice on materials and tonewood options.
For those following the conversation, I'll be staying real close to the plans.

When I began building I opted for the traditional method mainly because it seemed more DIY, and it was "traditional". It's much less involved to use a box section rod, and I too would recommend one for first timers', but if anyone wants to go the traditional route, I'll be going over my technique for those.

I've worked them all and without doubt the best acting rod and the least likely to fail or chew up the neck are the double acting rods. I'll be using something like these that I have to hand in abundance.

double_action_truss_rod.jpg

Back