Layering rock guitars 101

I'm telling you. My neck is sore from shaking my head at every frickin' sentence I've been reading in the last few posts. Please make it stop.

You disagree with the advice given by Jperieda, Ralis, and Rod Norman?

Keep in mind, they all said something to the effect of "There are no answers, you've gotta figure it out for yourself, but here's what I do". I found that really helpful and gave them all rep points.

You disagree with the advice given by Jperieda, Ralis, and Rod Norman?

Keep in mind, they all said something to the effect of "There are no answers, you've gotta figure it out for yourself, but here's what I do". I found that really helpful and gave them all rep points.

I'm not going to dissect every post. If there are no answers, then why are those posts so damn long. One guy's spamming his website,one guy's telling you to record 5 guitar tracks, one guy's telling you to record 3, one guy still hasn't answered what he means by "Double that track", and if he means what I'm pretty sure he means, then maybe one day you'll figure out why it's horrible advice, but probably not any time soon. I can go on and on. Basically, it's a clusterfuck. One day you'll figure it out, right now you seem to judge "good advice" based on how "nice" somebody seems to be. I just find it all very amusing is all. :)

OP did mention Soundgarden. Lot of layering of multiple guitars in there, but man, a one hit solution to all the layering sounds? I'm sorry, David Gilmour did amazing things with a lot of layers in a lot of songs and I'll give you even odds no two were done via the same template. It's not a discussion of layering that I personally object to as much as the "one size fits all" loops. AT2020 is good for all genres, Marshall stack fits any song, CLA compression works for any vocal. Just doesn't cut it for me.

OP did mention Soundgarden. Lot of layering of multiple guitars in there, but man, a one hit solution to all the layering sounds? I'm sorry, David Gilmour did amazing things with a lot of layers in a lot of songs and I'll give you even odds no two were done via the same template. It's not a discussion of layering that I personally object to as much as the "one size fits all" loops. AT2020 is good for all genres, Marshall stack fits any song, CLA compression works for any vocal. Just doesn't cut it for me.
Yeah, but it's ok because it was all said "nicely" so it must be great advice. :rolleyes:

Hazard - the problem you have is trying to work out who, amongst all the people posting, actually knows what they're talking about. And who can accurately describe a process.

In terms of Rails advice - he's specifically said "double the track" in numerous places, but he hasn't described what "doubling" is - so you're going to walk away (perhaps) thinking that you can just cut and paste a recorded track and that that has some positive effect. That's how I read his post. Thing is, he's wrong. This is a member whose 1 and only post is about your particular problem. Does that not tell you something? Someone found your question on teh interwebs and joined up JUST TO ANSWER IT. Yeah right.

Go listen to the music of people giving the advice - you'll work out who actually knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. It's a necessary part of getting advice from random strangers on the net.

Jperedia is here to pimp his website - frowned upon as a matter of etiquette - which is why, I suspect, he's got red rep. "Colorful guitar recordings may include two mics capturing the same sound and using those two tracks as one. This is a little more advanced and requires more out of your computer." - seriously? "May require more out of your computer?" Jesus wept. Your thread is about layering guitars with extra tracks... if one more's going to make a difference, it's time for a new computer.

Wise up about who's providing the advice, is my advice.:eek:;)

Hazard - the problem you have is trying to work out who, amongst all the people posting, actually knows what they're talking about. And who can accurately describe a process.

In terms of Rails advice - he's specifically said "double the track" in numerous places, but he hasn't described what "doubling" is - so you're going to walk away (perhaps) thinking that you can just cut and paste a recorded track and that that has some positive effect. That's how I read his post. Thing is, he's wrong. This is a member whose 1 and only post is about your particular problem. Does that not tell you something? Someone found your question on teh interwebs and joined up JUST TO ANSWER IT. Yeah right.

Go listen to the music of people giving the advice - you'll work out who actually knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. It's a necessary part of getting advice from random strangers on the net.

Jperedia is here to pimp his website - frowned upon as a matter of etiquette - which is why, I suspect, he's got red rep. "Colorful guitar recordings may include two mics capturing the same sound and using those two tracks as one. This is a little more advanced and requires more out of your computer." - seriously? "May require more out of your computer?" Jesus wept. Your thread is about layering guitars with extra tracks... if one more's going to make a difference, it's time for a new computer.

Wise up about who's providing the advice, is my advice.:eek:;)
Sigh of relief.......Thank you thank you thank you Armistice!

Alla fucking luyah!!!!!

I'm not going to dissect every post. If there are no answers, then why are those posts so damn long. One guy's spamming his website,one guy's telling you to record 5 guitar tracks, one guy's telling you to record 3, one guy still hasn't answered what he means by "Double that track", and if he means what I'm pretty sure he means, then maybe one day you'll figure out why it's horrible advice, but probably not any time soon. I can go on and on. Basically, it's a clusterfuck. One day you'll figure it out, right now you seem to judge "good advice" based on how "nice" somebody seems to be. I just find it all very amusing is all. :)

Double track = two separate performances of the same part of the song. Isn't that a standard definition?

Yeah, if you go back and read my OP, I said "I don't want to do any work and I expect you to provide me with the exact one-size-fits-all approach. I want steps to follow to get a particular sound. I don't plan to experiment on my own at all. And I already know everything."

If there are no answers, then why are those posts so damn long
I think the sense was that there were no "right" answers or "one size fits all" rules. People share their various methods for layering guitars. That would account for some of the lengths of some of the post.
Basically, it's a clusterfuck......right now you seem to judge "good advice" based on how "nice" somebody seems to be.
That's a bit harsh, mate. Until he tries stuff, he won't know if it is stuff that'll suit him, but if you genuinely don't know how, as he has admitted, then pretty much any advice from someone that claims to know will seem like good advice.
One day you'll figure it out
I think that's right. One day he will. He just needs a variety of tips so that he has something to go on so that one day, he can figure it out.

Double track = two separate performances of the same part of the song. Isn't that a standard definition?
No, it's not the "standard" definition". It should be, but many people think that it means "copy and paste" the same performance. That's why I asked him what he meant and we're still waiting for a reply. Of course, now he'll say he meant play it twice no matter what he really meant, since it was discussed in a few posts since then.

That's a bit harsh, mate.

No it's not, Grim. You missed what I was referring to. He said a few things, maybe in another thread, about liking the advice he's getting because it was said in a nice way. That's what I was referring to. It's nice to be nice, but it doesn't make something false all of a sudden true.

Yeah, if you go back and read my OP, I said "I don't want to do any work and I expect you to provide me with the exact one-size-fits-all approach. I want steps to follow to get a particular sound. I don't plan to experiment on my own at all. And I already know everything."
You seem to have a major comprehension problem. I'm not going to say you're stupid or anything, because that wouldn't be "nice". But Halo wasn't saying that you asked for a one-size-fits-all approach. He's saying that this is what people are giving you. Everyone, type slower, someone's having trouble following along.

It's nice to be nice, but it doesn't make something false all of a sudden true.
That's a fact. But the vice is also versa. It's an inescapable reality of human life that if you want someone to receive what you say, then the way you put it to them is crucial. If someone is made to feel stupid for not knowing something and asking a lot of questions that they probably wouldn't ask if they did, they're not really going to hear you. I wish Jimmy's advice of "forget the manner in which something comes, just concentrate on the substance of what is coming" were true. But it rarely is. It becomes true as you get to know someone; it rarely is when you don't.
I think the OP has made some errors in this thread but overriding everything, he wants to learn. Kicking and screaming perhaps ! But some people are like that initially. We can afford to facilitate him.
At least his question wasn't general or open ended ! :D

Man, this place went from having monthly cases of "intellectual mal-functions". Now, they seem to be over-lapping, like they all got off the same short bus.

I'm out. I've helped all I can. Enjoy.

-un-subscribed-

:)

Oops....my last post wasn't directed at you at all, Grim. We just happened to post at the same time.

OK...now I'm out.

Read what he said again. If he meant record it again then he would have said that, and step 2 would end after the first sentence and step 3 would be "Record your guitar part again" - he meant "cut and paste" and that's what RAMI and I have pointed out.

Dumpster-Fire.jpg

Back