Laptop suggestions

ilikecheese

I want to run a Digidesign 002 on a laptop, but I don't really have much knowledge on laptops. I would like to keep the price within reason, but I also don't want a piece of crap. CPU usage is my main concern because I'm going to be storing everything on an external hard drive.

Any suggestions would be great.

i personally would recommend an apple laptop (such as a powerbook) because of their sheer cpu power. the only problem is, these can get quite pricey and if all ur software is oriented towards a windows based system, then ur kinda screwed (such as various VSTi's or what not, not really familiar on what your using). but if ur using a pc, get one with a amd 64 bit processor (a good one, dont even waste ur time with anything lower) or an intel pentium 4 processor

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8600 with an Intel Pentium M 2.0 GHz processor and it's doing quite well. I would agree with what Teddy said though, that it would probably be in your best interest to go with an Athlon 64 setup if you're looking at a PC. Will just be better for the future.

I've recently picked up an eMachines M6810. It has an AMD 64 3200+ Processor with 512 MB RAM. I will probably upgrade the memory but if you're searching for value I definitely recommend AMD processors. I was an Intel fan until I did the research.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html
This website can take you through the various processors and their response times for various tasks. I run my Presonus Firepod @ 3.5ms with this machine and it seems to work fine.

IMO, if you are getting a laptop over a desktop for its portability, i would stick with tried and true centino power. Yes all the savy computer useers like to stick it to the man and choose AMD over Intel, and i would agree if we were talking about desktops. I'm not an expert in mobile technology but the response i get from www.anandtech.com is that intel has the better mobile cpu for their high end. it has lots of power and runs fairly cool.

also i think pc's are a way better value than apple laptops, but again that's just me. That said, i would get a dell or an acer.

Back