Laptop specifications

james123

Teenager from mars
Hi,
This is a pretty broad question but I shall ask anyway. For the last year or so I have been using a casette 4-tracker, but now I want to start recording on a laptop because I have out grown my four track. So my question is what is the specifications (ram,hard drive, processor) I should be looking for when searching for a Laptop? I would like to be able to record four tracks simultaneously through a fire wire interface (not sure which one yet) quite easily. I would probably just use the software that comes with the interface.
Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks for your time.

Its really simple.

Stay away from Celeron and Sempron processors (stick with P4-M/Core Duo/Athlon-64/Turion-64 processors), get at least 1Gb or RAM, avoid 4,200 RPM drives (5,400 and 7,200 RPM are better) and look for TI Firewire Chipsets.

As long as you have these things, look for what is available in your price range.

Same as with any desktop:

Maximum amount of RAM you can afford.

Fastest processor you can afford.

Biggest screen you can afford.

Fast secondary drive (7200rpm) to record to.

(I'm using a Gateway P4 laptop, 2.2Gz, 1.5Gb RAM with a Motu828mkII interface and a Glyph firewire drive with ZERO problems.)

brzilian said:
First off, its the battery that is defective (and made by Sony).

Secondly, they are recalling batteries made from 2004 to now - it was on the news nationwide today.

If you buy one off their website today, I highly doubt it will have that problem

i was just having some fun! take it easy sorry if my post detered from the serious manner of this thread

brzilian said:
Its really simple.

Stay away from Celeron and Sempron processors (stick with P4-M/Core Duo/Athlon-64/Turion-64 processors), get at least 1Gb or RAM, avoid 4,200 RPM drives (5,400 and 7,200 RPM are better) and look for TI Firewire Chipsets.

As long as you have these things, look for what is available in your price range.

Theres nowt wrong with Celeron M processors, they are very similar to Centrino CPUs I use a notebook with a 1.4gig celeron M, it does all I want.

Back