Laptop recommendations?

Velvetones

Don’t worry, Doug Currie
Part of my current goals will require an updated laptop with SSD, modern USB protocols and tons of processing power. Used an HP that a DJ I worked with before and it was pretty solid, bu I’m more of a Mac guy, but don’t want to spend too much…. Any recs? Sources to build my own from components?

I'm a huge Thinkpad fan. Built to last. High quality components.

Keep in mind the computer prices are high right now due to component shortages and supply chain issues.

I am using a MacBook Pro from 2014 with a quadcore i7, but those are still quite expensive secondhand.
Windows isn't my thing either.

The macbooks are expensive... I'm a cheap ass and see no need for paying more than $300 for a laptop USED. I rarely ever buy a new one. I did buy new in 2011 and was tiring of it as it was heavy and I was getting Newer, Better, Lighter, Faster envy but the dang this did its job...Fortunately while on vacation I had it set up and one of my grandkids ran by and tripped on the power cord of the charger pulling the laptop down to floor to sudden death... bets part was I didn't get mad...whew! I went of Offerup and facebook market place and picked up a HP Elite book 840 G3 for $250 that was super light and powerful for $250 came with a 500 gb SSD AND it had the Microsoft 2021 office suite ( not that dumb ass office 365 shit) that alone was worth the $250 ...So my advice is buy something slightly used with at minimum a newer / no older than 2018 i7 processor or a macbook with the m1 chip...don't spend more than $500 unless you have totally disposable income... Don't let consumerism gear acquisition syndrome get ya...

Not a recommendation, but a tip... make sure the Laptop screen supports high resolutions... my last Laptop had some fancy touchscreen, but a low resolution... so things like Reason or some VSTs didn't fit on my screen without using an external monitor... just something to keep in mind!

Back