Laptop PC and Interface -- educated opinions needed!

csmolik

I'm new to the BBS, and thanks in advance for your help.

I'm in the process of assembling a personal portable recording set-up, for use with live and home recording. I have done a few studio albums, but nothing substantial at home and I'm certainly new to most of the recent digital technological aspects.

My current "bright idea" is to get a fairly powerful laptop computer -- w/ Pentium 4, 1GB Ram, 80GB HD, Firewire, etc. -- and pair it with a FireWire recording system such as the MOTU 896HD with the 8 mic inputs and preamps.

The goal is to be able to record up to 8 tracks of my band simultaneously, on which I'd then overdub multiple tracks channels at my leisure.

Will this work? Can I get a decent sample rate on 8 simultaneous audio tracks through FireWire? Any particular recommendations for computer and/or digital interface (the MOTU or others)? Pitfalls I should know about?

Thanks again for your educated opinions!

--Carter

Hi Carter,

The laptop you have in mind seems like it could handle the pressure of multiple recording.

I think recording 8 tracks simultaneously wouldnt work how you expect it too. The thing with dubbing each individual track afterwards is that each microphone you use will pick up not only the specified instrument but will pickup sounds from all the other instruments. The best way to record, and in many peoples opinion, is to get a good steady drum beat down against a click track. Then add each instrument one by one in which order you like. (Mine being Bass, rhythm guitar, guitar, vocals).

I dont know if this helped you at all, or if ive just ranted on about a totally different topic, but hope it does help, and good luck with your recording!!

Back