Votes: 50 15.2%
  • AKG D112

Votes: 134 40.9%
  • Sennheiser e602

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • Shure Beta52

Votes: 108 32.9%

• Total voters
Shure Beta 91. You can get them for 219$ at Musician's friend.... the best all around kick drum mic i've heard. It outperforms the other mics by a longshot... and it also captures the "click" of the beater much better than the other mics.. Also the low end is not muddy at all.
Just my 2 cents....

You can get an RE20, MD421 or an SM7 for $300 or less used.

Newer options could also be the Heil mics, but I've never used them.

I do a lot of Rock and metal, and I didn't like the top end of the Beta mic for those genre, the D112 seems to suit it better. The Beta was almost too "distinct".

Wow! 4 pages and nobody mentioned the U47fet. The fast electronics of this LDC makes it kick @ss on a kick drum....... if ya like livin' on the edge. Got some of my best kick recordings from a 47fet.

I'm not talking about a U47 ($7k-$10k)

I'm talking about a U47fet ($1k-$3k). This is the fet mic Neumann came out with to replace the U47 (tube). Of course, it was not a successful replacement for the U47 (tube). Nonetheless, it is a fabulous mic for kick drum and is also respected for use on some female vocalists.

I know several fellows that have either a U47fet or a tube U47 at home. Serious fellows, that is.

peavey 520tl or ev re-20, my preferred choices. but also my home made subkick, it's always on there too.

Don

I've got a D112 I bought it cause I got a good price on it. I'm not that happy with it though. Although it does do OK pointing at the beater (not in the shell) in conjuntion with a "speaker" mic or a PZM in the shell. I'd like to get something a bit more high end. It does do Ok always in conjunction with something. Anytime I've used it solo it's always lacked something, and I've literally spent a few hours trying to find the best spot on several different bass drums.

It does do OK as well on larger bass cabs also in conjuntion with another type of mic.

Blue Groove said:
The D6 has a decent tone, and you can get the sound anywhere in the drum. I also like d112s, beta52, kickballs, etc...

but my fave is a U47 outside the kick with a 1073 and a little 1176.

...ahh, if I only had $17,000.

I recently posted this in the drum forum, not seeing this thread yet

I have to do a write in for the EV Re-27 as my fav kick mic. i would also suggest the d112, but not for dynamic drummers. when you can get a chance, i also suggest ye olde fet 47 at a distance or in the doghouse. also, try a bi-directional laying down on a pillow w/ the emblem facing up. can be lotsa fun.

reducer said:
try a bi-directional laying down on a pillow w/ the emblem facing up. can be lotsa fun.

I tried that last night. Fun indeed. Then you gotta flip it over and try it facing down. I love bi-directionals. :D

Back