Need some advice on buying drum mics

superstupid

Hi, my band is looking to both get a decent recording setup and a live setup (more pressing). I'm the bass player, but I'm sorta the sound guy in the band.

I think we are actually pretty much set with the exception of drum mics.

We have an extra SM 57 or two, I have a Beta 57 as my vocal mic that I could trade for a 57, and we might need the 57 to mic a guitar cab.

My plan is to use the extra 57 on the snare, pick up a pair of MXL 603 overheads, and then a kick mic.

Drum sound-wise, my drummer kinda wants that modern hard rock drum tone with the deep low end on the kick and the piccolo-ish pop, but with a more live, dirty sounding, funky vibe to it. We want to hear impact on the kick. Audioslave/Chili Peppers would be good examples off the top of my head. Maybe a Sevendust drum sound with a Clyde Stubblefield vibe to sound more precise. I, personally was a big fan of ?uestlove's sound on the new Roots album.

I have been thinking of trying an ATM25 for my bass amp sometime, since it is a bass instrument mic without so much mid-scoop. I don't know that this is the best choice for kick, though. My tone is bassy, and heavy on the low-medium mids (800Hz), but i prefer to leave the real sub-bass thump to the kick. I also know that some kick mics have a boost at 4khz. That is where the guitar starts to taper off.

I've been looking at Beta52, D112, D6 if that helps. Open to other suggestions as well, and also suggestions on the overheads.

Don't you DARE get rid of the Beta 57! (unless it's a Beta Green, bleh!) That is an excellent snare mic. MUCH better than a standard 57! Use the Beta 57 on snare, the other 57's on toms, and a Beta 52 for the kick. That's probably the best kick mic out there. The ATM25 would be fine, though. I don't like the D112. I don't hate it, but don't really like it. I had to fiddle with it alot every time I recorded with it.

The MXL 603's are pretty good for overheads, but there are better mics. I prefer LD condensers, but there are plenty of people here who will tell you the 603's are great, and they're right. It's all personal taste my friend! You will need condensers for overheads.

ya. I have MXL 2001 LD oh's, they rock for the money. AND, for $200, i got 2 2001's. 2 990's and 2 991's. 6 Condensers!!!!

DuoToneBand said:
ya. I have MXL 2001 LD oh's, they rock for the money. AND, for $200, i got 2 2001's. 2 990's and 2 991's. 6 Condensers!!!!

Dude!! You must rate somewhere! Where'd you get that kind of a deal? Don't hold out. Hook me up! (not that I need more mics mind you, but I'm curious.)

I have connections at guitar center. They have a deal goin every other "color" tag sale(green, purple, pink,...). At the green tag sale, buy 1 2001 and get the 990/991 pack free. Each customer could only buy 1. With my connections, i got 2!

PhilGood said:
Don't you DARE get rid of the Beta 57!

I don't plan to. Ideally, I would like to use that particular mic on my bass amp, and fill in the low end with a direct signal. I meant I could switch it with one of my other 57's, if necessary.

I should also mention that we have an SM58, I am going to try to get my lead singer to buy a new vocal mic, instead of bumming my SM 58 all the damn time, i prefer singing into the SM 58.

Back