keyboard/workstation advice?

Lulu62

I am a songwriter/amateur (very) home recordist interested in adding other instruments besides guitar to my music. I need advice on what kind of keyboard/workstation would be best for my needs. Right now, all I have is an acoustic guitar, a Korg D12 digital recorder, and an AKG C4000B condenser microphone.

I'm interested in adding some high quality string sound, perhaps some horns, decent piano sound and some percussion to round out the complex vocal harmonies I'm creating. What do you maestros suggest I should look at?

I'm currently leaning toward a Yamaha Motif ES (either 7 or 8). Am I missing something obvious? I looked at the Korg Triton and liked a lot of the effects, but I was very impressed with the single instrument sampling quality I heard on the Motif the other day. I'll be receiving a small inheritance shortly, so money isn't a huge issue, although I don't want to spend more than about $2500.

Any and all advice would be most helpful.

I am a MOTIF owner, I have the MO6 should have waited for the ES but hey! It serves my uses. I bought the MO over the Triton aside from price because the Tritons pianos were weak. The MO's strings are more realistic than the Triton's as well. As far as the sequencer goes I haven't used it yet. Right now I am MIDIing it thru my KORG X3 Workstation Sequencer for now. Yes, I do own a KORG, but I also have other keys as well just to show that I'm not biased. Also if you're just shopping around there is also the "ROLAND FATHOM X" I think it's called and from what I hear it's pretty badass as well.

http://hire_on_the_fly.tripod.com

Thanks a lot for the confirmation. I'll check out that Roland as well -- appreciate the heads up on it.

This is really a great place. Such a resource. What did people do before the internet, anyway?

Back