Keyboard to Interface

dremits

Hi,

I'm using a Yamaha E303 keyboard and i'm just wondering how to plug its outs to interface inputs. There is only one output jack that says "Output/Phones". This suggests stereo and it says this in the specifications (http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA...3&CTID=205000&ATRID=20&DETYP=ATTRIBUTE&LGFL=Y). The specifications seem to suggest that there is also one L and R output but there is definitely only the phones/main output mentioned above (however if someone could check the specs and confirm in case i've misunderstood). So if there is just the one output does this mean I use a stereo jack cable and then a mono adapter to feed the signal into two inputs on my interface? Will the signal be balanced?

Cheers,

Yeah, it looks like the headphone out doubles as the aux out.

Yeah, a Y-cable should do the trick.

No, it won't be balanced.

When you record that output, I would start by setting the output volume of the headphone to about half. Adjust as necessary. Headphone outs are a little hotter than a line level signal.

Also, if I wanted to make it balanced would I use a DI box. How can I run a cable before I pick up noise?

Under most circumstances, running an unbalanced cable in this situation will not cause noise problems. The (roughly) line level output from the kyeboard is more immune to noise than lower level mike outputs, and if you are going from keyboard to computer, cable lengths are not going to be that long.

However, you need to be alert to possible noise sources: fridges turning on and off, fluorescent light dimmers and so on.

Ahh jeez i'm an idiot. Was putting wrong search terms in. Found loads now! But is that cable right?

EDIT: Forget it. Being dense again. Need two mono cables if i'm using a y adapter. Thanks again!

Back