Kanye West....

Jeez, Slayer or the Grateful Dead...I think I'll take Kanye over both. :D

I dunno really. Slayer could be completely legit. I don't think I've ever heard them.

I think I (perhaps unfairly) always lumped them in with lame 1980's shit like Mötley Crüe, quiet riot, ratt and poison? Hey, there's a potential not-so-super group....Ratt Poison!

Anyway, I'm thinking slayer is maybe more in the anthrax/megadeath type camp?

Not sure as I could never really listen to at metal made after the 1970's...

All good points. Not sure any of that is taken into consideration for a best album award though? Maybe it is, and maybe that's partly why beck won?

I love Beck, he's one of my favorites. I just don't think this album of his is all that great.

He actually said he agreed with Kanye after the fact. He said he was just so excited to have him up on stage and he loves him. :)

I don't think it's a bad Beck album, but it's probably the first time in his career where he's repeated himself. Every other Beck album is a new sound for him, but this is essentially Sea Change Pt 2.

It does sum up the Grammys though that he's been constantly reinventing himself for twenty years...and they eventually recognise him the first time he showed some conservatism and played it safe! Man, if I see Grammy award winning next to some musician's name, it's almost a guarantee that they're going to be beige-schlock best avoided.

On Kanye, he did a couple of good records a few years back before his ego eclipsed him. Late Registration was a good mix of hiphop and old soul samples, and My Beautiful Dark... was a cool album with loads of different ideas and textures throughout. Everything since then has been turd mind.

It'd be interesting to map his outbursts like the Grammy's one to when he has new product to shift and is after some free publicity. He's a massive dick, but he sure knows how to market himself. Didn't he had a new range of trainers out?

Sorry, I know the thread's moved on and I'm far too late for it. As you were...

Last edited:
Oh yeah! Summer of 1988. Oxford Plains Speedway. I went to the two Dead shows there and it was a fantastic time. Just a couple of towns over from me.

People here still talk about that weekend fondly. The local people I spoke with that weekend did sound like they had been a bit horrified by the Monsters of Rock crowd. They seemed to like us well enough, although closer to 80,000 showed up. It was a mess. People charged $10 for parking, for camping in their back yard, for showers, etc. At least we gave the Oxford economy a little boost there.

They did try one more time with a hippy-ish rock festival there maybe 5-10 years ago, but although they planned to do it again the following year, it got canceled. Nothing since.
Small world, huh? :D

Oh yeah! Summer of 1988. Oxford Plains Speedway. I went to the two Dead shows there and it was a fantastic time. Just a couple of towns over from me.

What town you from, btw? I was born and mostly lived up the coast in Camden, but lived in Lewiston for a number of years.

We now have the prospect of this idiot headlining Glastonbury, where the BBC will wreck the transmission by cutting the audio every time he says the F or N word, which frankly leaves not a lot left! They did this for our Brit awards ceremony when he was on there, and it was laughable sound going on/off/on/off over and over again!

We now have the prospect of this idiot headlining Glastonbury, where the BBC will wreck the transmission by cutting the audio every time he says the F or N word, which frankly leaves not a lot left! They did this for our Brit awards ceremony when he was on there, and it was laughable sound going on/off/on/off over and over again!
Read on Yahoo (or somewhere) there's a petition to take him off the headlining thing, if so, where do I sign??? And, can I sign it multiple times??? I won't be attending (obviously), or even watching for that matter, but I'd love to see this joke get taken completely out of the music scene....

What town you from, btw? I was born and mostly lived up the coast in Camden, but lived in Lewiston for a number of years.

I grew up in Brunswick, but I live in Raymond now....near Sebago Lake.

I go to Lewiston like once a month for work. It's uh...well, it's Lewiston. :)

Camden is nice. Kind of touristy, but in an upscale sort of way.

Yup. Small world. :)

Why is this festival so butthurt about it?
This guy probably does a hundred shows a year.

The festival itself (well, the organisers) isn't annoyed, but lots of its customers are. It's stupid because at Glastonbury there are over 100 stages open between 3 and 5 days, so a single 2 hour slot on one stage shouldn't get you too annoyed. However, it is a disappointing choice for the main stage on the Saturday night. There'll still be a big crowd and everyone will be saying how good it was afterwards. I'll go and find something else to watch.

I know what I WONT be watching on the 27h June.

The festival itself (well, the organisers) isn't annoyed, but lots of its customers are. It's stupid because at Glastonbury there are over 100 stages open between 3 and 5 days, so a single 2 hour slot on one stage shouldn't get you too annoyed. However, it is a disappointing choice for the main stage on the Saturday night. There'll still be a big crowd and everyone will be saying how good it was afterwards. I'll go and find something else to watch.

Agreed. There are loads more (far more interesting) headliners playing other stages at the same time, so it's fairly easy to avoid Kanye if you don't want to watch him. Pyramid Stage headliners usually pretty crap anyway - Metallica, U2, Coldplay, Mumford & Sons etc.

And I'd personally give the other two headliners announced a wider berth than Kanye - Lionel Richie and the Foo Fighters. Jeez...

Agreed. There are loads more (far more interesting) headliners playing other stages at the same time, so it's fairly easy to avoid Kanye if you don't want to watch him. Pyramid Stage headliners usually pretty crap anyway - Metallica, U2, Coldplay, Mumford & Sons etc.

And I'd personally give the other two headliners announced a wider berth than Kanye - Lionel Richie and the Foo Fighters. Jeez...

Metallica was ace! Lionel Ritchie is playing the veterans slot on Sunday afternoon - the third headliner hasn't been announced yet (the big money's on Taylor Swift, of all things). I'm not interested in the Foo Fighters, but a lot of my friends will go see it, so I'll probably go along too.

Metallica was ace! Lionel Ritchie is playing the veterans slot on Sunday afternoon - the third headliner hasn't been announced yet (the big money's on Taylor Swift, of all things). I'm not interested in the Foo Fighters, but a lot of my friends will go see it, so I'll probably go along too.

I had no beef with them playing the festival, but Metallica (and metal in general) just do nothing for me at all. They could play the set of their lives and it would still leave me cold - probably like a lot of people here feel about Kanye's.

The Pyramid Stage has certainly got more populist since Emily Eavis took over. I think it's probably a reflection of her tastes to some extent, but I guess it also ensures that they sell out and the festival keeps its profile each year.

I had no beef with them playing the festival

And in that vein, I'm not that bothered if Kanye plays. I won't go see it. I don't like most of what's on, but I'll be able to find something I like most of the time. It's way more fun to wander and stumble into stuff. I spend more time at the circus and cabaret nowadays (and the kids field now we take out littleun).

Back