just wanted a mic signal but all i got was a headache

aux pause

okay i'm just going to be straight with yall here, i typed up one hell of a beautiful mountain of words to describe my gay ass miserable situation but when i clicked submit the forums told me i wasn't logged in and pretty much just told me and all of my heart-felt epilogue to go fuck itself

so heres the basics, and then i'm going to fuckin' bed. pray one of you can help me regardless.

im on a mac, osx, practically spanking new and an 003+ rack in the same condition. newest version of pro tools. i'm using a basic-ass dynamic radio shack mic, crucify me if you must but im a broke dead dog. and that shit is also new, both 'em.

the rack: line-di light is on, got my input channel button pressed, gain up, plugged in first 1/4 input, yadda yadda. thats really it. i've tried it without it, i've tried it in the front di with the line-di button off like the manual says, and all sorts of stupid crap on my own after none of that shit worked. nada

the mic: on.

pro tools: record enabled track, everything's smooth, but i've got no signal. i've got recording a flat line down to a science.

i've been thumbing through my 003 rack handbook, pro tools for losers, youtubes of old dudes, etc. and i'm doing everything i'm told, like a good boy should, i swear it to you!

however, no matter the input i use i've got no signal.

things that have become apparent to me:
- when going to setup>hardware to check input assignments i don't really have any kind of options that everyone else seems to have. there's like four things, two of which i can change.
- i dont have a whole lot of inputs. when i click input>interface i get eleven rig l and r, mic, guitar, digital in l/r, line in l/r. none of which give me a blip of signal. i've dicked around with busses and what not too to no effect. nothing as simple as a "input 1, input 2, input 3, ...". some people have all of the luck

tried starting rack before computer, some jerk somewhere on the internet recommended that. no difference. tried aux tracks, instrument tracks, what the ever the hell else too. i've blindly flailed where no man has ever flailed before, and i've got nothing but a long night to show for it.

so what i'm really asking for here is one thing: you're sitting in front of my rig, in my stinky ass shoes, how do you do it?

feel free to explain it to me as if i were a two year old, it's probably for the best. baby talk is not necessary but i'd probably laugh and hell i'd probably still thank you if you can get me a signal.

thats all i want

Well, first of all, the guy who told you to turn on the 003 before the computer isn't a jerk. It is recommended, and he was only trying to help.

Setup>Hardware isn't the only place to look for your I/O (inputs/outputs) setup. You should also look at Setup>I/O. Make sure your input on your 003 matches the input on your mix window.

Check that Input 1 (003) corresponds with Input 1 (Mix Window). Plug your mic into input 1, make sure the 003 is picking up mic/line (not DI). Make sure your audio tracks input is set to Input 1, and record enabled. If you can turn the gain up all the way and still not get ANY signal in, your problem isn't the mic. If your mic isn't working, you should be able to crank the gain all the way and get some noise (from the preamp circuitry) showing up. Also, give phantom power a try. Even though its a dynamic mic, it COULD need phantom power.

Are we talking Charlie Bronson? As in the movie Bronson?

Heck no ! If Aux pause starts acting like that Charlie Bronson {the jail geezer}, he'll get top of the range brand new mics thrown at him with compliments..........plus much fear and trembling ! :D

thanks, didn't know that. turns out i mostlyjust needed a preamp to boost the hell out of it though. welp.

thanks again:cool:

Back