just ordered a new guitar-xaviere xv700

surfmaster

$189 for a mahogany bodied, flame maple capped, fully bound rock machine aint bad.

and its a thinline!

will post real pics and review once i get it!

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvvichsuthsl.html

yhst-50206111187217_1981_13202901

Last edited:
Looks nice; I've heard good things. Have you seen their thinline Teles? Jay at guitarfetish is a good guy to deal with.

I just got my Silver Sparkle XV-700 today. GREAT guitar for the money!! Very well made. Solid hardware, cool looking and hot sounding zebra humbuckers. Also got a great hardshell case for $40. Great back-up guitar. You will be pleased!! A very lightweight guitar-about the same weight as any of my Strats. Enjoy yours.

I just got my Silver Sparkle XV-700 today. GREAT guitar for the money!! Very well made. Solid hardware, cool looking and hot sounding zebra humbuckers. Also got a great hardshell case for $40. Great back-up guitar. You will be pleased!! A very lightweight guitar-about the same weight as any of my Strats. Enjoy yours.

just curious, how long did it take you to get yours once you placed your order?

well if that's all and the intonation and such is all good, that's a bloody steal, i e-mailed for back of guitar pics on the xv550 semi-hollows, i may buy one myself as i'm looking for a semi-hollow without a fatneck and fat price tag.

Got mine in 4 days. It shipped inside the hardshell case, inside a sturdy box with plenty of bubble wrap. I immediately removed the cheap and semi-tarnished strings that came with it, and polished the fretboard, as it seemed a little dry and dull. Put a new set of Slinky's (10s) on it and it played like a dream. Found one TEENY TINY ding on the fretboard at the 20th fret, and a little bit of excess glue around the bindng at the neck joint. Other than those two extremely MINOR issues, it's a GREAT guitar for the money. Obviously not in the same league as my Strats or Les Pauls, but nice and light-a comfortable guitar to play for long periods of time.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Wow that guitar looks really good. Any chance of posting some clips once you get it? I'm curious how it sounds.

Got mine in 4 days. It shipped inside the hardshell case, inside a sturdy box with plenty of bubble wrap. I immediately removed the cheap and semi-tarnished strings that came with it, and polished the fretboard, as it seemed a little dry and dull. Put a new set of Slinky's (10s) on it and it played like a dream. Found one TEENY TINY ding on the fretboard at the 20th fret, and a little bit of excess glue around the bindng at the neck joint. Other than those two extremely MINOR issues, it's a GREAT guitar for the money. Obviously not in the same league as my Strats or Les Pauls, but nice and light-a comfortable guitar to play for long periods of time.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

would you say its comparable/better than an epiphone LP?

One of the coolest things about it is it has a thinline body, so it is lighter that the Epi LP, and has the back body contours od a Strat.
I just got black speed knobs to replace the amber top hat knobs that it came with. (why it came with the amber knobs-I'll never understand).
Will send along some photos once I unpack from vacation.
Happy New Year to all!!!

Sal

Ah, nice to see a Xaviere without the stupid metal plates they used to put on the headstock. Now I'm seriously considering grabbing one.

so the guitar has been sitting in my local ups hub since the 29th, but they dont ship on weekends or holidays, so it will be coming in tomorrow.

i'll post some soundclips with my brother's epiphone valve jr since its a fairly common amp around these parts.

i also was really happy they changed the drastically skinny waist to a more traditional style one for this one.

I tried to post a picture of the guitar as I got it, and one with the new knobs and added black pick guard but the file sizes are to big. If you'd like to send me a private message with an e-mail address I can send the pics to, I would be glad to send them. Either way, take my word for it-for the money, you CAN NOT go wrong with these guitars. Fantastic back-up guitar!

Any update on this guys?? I am seriously considering buying one..

i have pics up on my flickr site! heres a link to a slideshow. if you go too far it gets into other pics though, just ignore those haha.

http://flickr.com/photos/7893427@N04/show/

hopefully that works. if not, here are some highlights.

2175505014_f5d9e32d8f.jpg

2175504898_8a5d342a25.jpg

2174713517_535106696a.jpg

2174710685_b3836bb847.jpg

the guitar itself plays wonderfully. it was almost perfectly set up out of the box. as soon as i got it i brought it to a luthier who goes to my church and he was very impressed by the quality of build and set up.

the guitar plays very easily and while not that much thinner than a true les paul, it does take a significant weight off of my shoulders. the belly cut is much appreciated as well as i've only really played strats before this and am used to the feel of the strat cut.

the pickups are good. not great, but good. they may be replaced eventually as they are a little hot and not as dynamic as i would like. dont get me wrong, these things can produce some great sounds, but some of GFS's other pickups have that little something that pushes them over the edge of "meh".

the neck is slick and easy to play, no problems there. the fretboard was very dry when it arrived and had this black factory gunk on it when it came. it all came off with some lemon oil and elbow grease though. the blems, as you can see, are pretty much unnoticeable. i couldn't even catch them on the camera.

i'm very very very happy with this guitar and would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of transferring from strat style guitars to humbucker style guitars.

edit: i forgot to mention that the case is amazing for the price. if you are ordering a guitar from jay at GFS def. get a case along with it, even if it is just for shipping protection.

Back