Just Joined....

Bravo Tom. From what Charley was posting, I thought that the original people doing his transfer really botched the job.

I'm sure your generosity will be greatly appreciated.

I mailed a package to Charley today returning his adat tapes and a usb drive with all the .wav files arranged in song folders.

We spoke on the phone and he told me his intentions to revisit this project, do some new mixes, perhaps add new tracks.

I hope he shares his progress with the community here. This place is a great resource.

The folks that did the project initially did him wrong, in my opinion. The track sheets are inaccurate, time code listings wrong, many tracks listed on the sheets are simply missing, and poor gain staging. The session musicians were sub par. All except the pedal steel player, who was a real pro.

I just completed the transfers. I used a lightpipe (toslink) cable from my adat xt to the RME card on my pc, so the data came across bit-accurate. Whatever was on tape is now extracted. I recorded the tracks into Reaper and did some rough mixing. Each song is now in its own folder. There are 2 adat tapes, each with roughly 40 minutes of songs, 21 songs total.

I will get a usb thumb drive to put everything on, and get that and the original tapes, track sheets and lyric sheets back to Charley.

I think his song writing skills are great however. Its a shame how the studio back then did him.
Well Folks, I wanna say that Mr. Tom Hicks is a Card Carrying, Genuine, Dyed-In-The-Wool, Gentleman.... I Can't thank him enough, for the great job he's done... I will get to enjoy learning Reaper & maybe get some of these Classic Country Tunes on You Tube, for all the word to enjoy.... maybe someone will be listening.... Thanks to all who helped get this to reality... I won't be far away...

CB, now that you have the tracks, you can't just walk away. Keep us abreast of your changes, let us know when we can listen to the new versions.

Don't make us feel like that girl you dated in high school for a couple of weeks and tossed aside right before prom! 😁

CB, now that you have the tracks, you can't just walk away. Keep us abreast of your changes, let us know when we can listen to the new versions.

Don't make us feel like that girl you dated in high school for a couple of weeks and tossed aside right before prom! 😁
Never FEAR my little Munchkins, you're all gonna get an ear full. I just learned how to power up Reaper, mixing a Song or making a CD, is a few steps down the road from me. I can barely spell REAPER, much less work any buttons...

How did you know, I did that? Actually I didn't have a girlfriend for Prom night, I was into Hustlin' Pool, when I was in High School...

I was gonna post a couple songs, but they are not MP3s yet & that isn't something I know how to do... Later.!

CB, if you want to make an MP3 in Reaper, you do the same as making a WAV file. Choose Render, and then use the Drop Down box that says WAV and select MP3. Use at least 256K, and the sound quality will be good. Highest rate is 320k, but I'm guessing the vast majority of people won't be able to hear the difference between the 2.

Render MP3.jpg

It's was put in your permanent record, just like when you get caught sticking gum under your desk in 3rd grade. That kind of stuff kept me from running for President. I don't want the media digging up all my dirty laundry.
Well, I got one started & here it is. It sounds OK & the Steel Player is to be commended, but the Composer (me) went to sleep at the wheel, when I didn't request the back up instrument, to be a Piano... That's the next procedure for this song..... wish me luck. NOTE, this is a true story.!

Attachments

• Harry112523.mp3
    4.5 MB
Last edited:
Charlie, how's the project going? Have you gotten around to trying any new takes?
I have been able to modify a few. Since I'm not familiar with REAPER, I may just be screwing them up, but I've modified a few ... I posted two of them... Thanks for asking.!

One reason I asked was that I had been listening to Atlanta, and I wondered how the song would work if it had a bit of "swing" on the drum track. It's pretty straightforward now, and I wondered it it would work still fit. It's wouldn't be as old school but might give it another feel.

Songs demos are just WORDS, with a suggested melody... If someone likes the song, no telling what they'll change it into...

I'm 81 & OLD SCHOOL is all I know & LOVE... the new CRAP Is Country RAP & I don't listen to that garbage. It's just a rhymy wordy meter, with no real story line & loud music..

Back