Just Joined....

Yeah, I think they are very impressed with themselves & acting like they can do no wrong, but when I went bye... they were twiddling their thumbs... Didn't impress me... & their prices are through the roof.
They don't need to be very impressive. Just have them do a simple analogue-to-digital conversion, give you the tracks, and either mix them yourself or let some of the HR members who have asked for stems in the "Mix This!" section to mix them for free. These are demos after all.

Distrokid is great too - probably the best, but they have very strict rules and no second chances, so if anyone objects to your releases, theyre well known for zapping your entire catalgue, and they do not even communicate with you. Songtradr are a bit more fiddly and convoluted, but as soon as you get the hang of it, it's become my favourite and they pop up on youtube and spotify quite quickly, and you even possibily might get paid too!

They don't need to be very impressive. Just have them do a simple analogue-to-digital conversion, give you the tracks, and either mix them yourself or let some of the HR members who have asked for stems in the "Mix This!" section to mix them for free. These are demos after all.

The tracks are already digital, they just need transferring to another format, so someone can modify what's there... Mr. Hicks is gonna give that a try. After he & I have squeezed what we can, from most of the songs, then I'll be looking for someone to do some re-recording....

Last edited:
Even dumping via the analog outs of an ADAT into an interface's analog input should not cause much if any change. I was just watching a video comparing an Audient interface and a SSL interface. They ran the signal through 50 times and there was virtually no change. By the time they did 500 passes though the AD/DA converters there was quite a bit of change but that's just insane.

As a "demo" that's perfectly fine. Anyone who is going to do a song will redo things, and it might not even resemble the original. Different instruments, different tempos, different keys are all fair game.

Even the Beatles' songs changed as they finalized arrangements.

Of course, if you're changing the lyrics, that's a bit different.

I'm surprised nobody has said this yet, but you're not going to be able to change much in these recordings since they're just stereo tracks. You can't re-mix a stereo recording. You can do things to make the stereo recording sound better, but you're not going to be able to bring up the vocals if they're too low, etc...It just doesn't work that way.

I mean, you can run them through SPLEETER to separate the instruments, but the sound quality will degrade quite a bit.
I guess you haven’t seen, Get Back, by Peter Jackson or any of his other work. AI is making the formerly impossible, possible. Never say never. 😉

I guess you haven’t seen, Get Back, by Peter Jackson or any of his other work. AI is making the formerly impossible, possible. Never say never. 😉
Of course I've seen it. I'm sure the OP will let us know when he hooks up with Peter Jackson. :D

I'm am old man & the world has passed me by. BUT... I have a bunch of songs, that I wrote yesteryear, in the 80s & 90s. They were demoed by a man in Tennessee, but they need modified. They are on 8 track ADATs (VHS tapes). I'm trying to find a way to get them on some software, so I can modify the volumes of each track... & maybe get a few do-overs on the vocals & start pitchin' these masterpieces to Nashville... Anybody have any ideas...?

I'm am old man & the world has passed me by. BUT... I have a bunch of songs, that I wrote yesteryear, in the 80s & 90s. They were demoed by a man in Tennessee, but they need modified. They are on 8 track ADATs (VHS tapes). I'm trying to find a way to get them on some software, so I can modify the volumes of each track... & maybe get a few do-overs on the vocals & start pitchin' these masterpieces to Nashville... Anybody have any ideas...?
I have to do the same thing. You have to get ahold of the original recorder to isolate the tracks or settle for eqing what you have. I am sure there are other ways but it will probably cost you a pretty penny. Good luck

My name is Bond, Charley Bond. I'm James Bond's little brother. I know what he knows, plus what I know.

I can't believe its so hard to get a few (20) songs remixed & put on separate CDs. The songs are DEMOs. The problem is they were not mixed correctly, the music drowns out the words... (more later)
You have to find someone with a compatable machine that the tracks wore recorded on ,if you have the master recording. If all you have is a final mix, no matter what it's on, there is not much you can do.

Here's one, where one of the tracks is too loud... Who wants to here that gong, going bang, bang, bang...? For awhile, here in America, there was a joke going around, about: What do you get, when you play country music backwards...? you get your bills back, your ex wife back, your old car back & so on... so I wrote a song... The song just needs a little balance.. It is on a CD with 2 channels, I need to go upstream & modify the data on the ADAT Tapes....
I like it. I would add some actual backward record sounds on it

So how is the project going? Were the tapes in good shape after all these years?
The folks that did the project initially did him wrong, in my opinion. The track sheets are inaccurate, time code listings wrong, many tracks listed on the sheets are simply missing, and poor gain staging. The session musicians were sub par. All except the pedal steel player, who was a real pro.

I just completed the transfers. I used a lightpipe (toslink) cable from my adat xt to the RME card on my pc, so the data came across bit-accurate. Whatever was on tape is now extracted. I recorded the tracks into Reaper and did some rough mixing. Each song is now in its own folder. There are 2 adat tapes, each with roughly 40 minutes of songs, 21 songs total.

I will get a usb thumb drive to put everything on, and get that and the original tapes, track sheets and lyric sheets back to Charley.

I think his song writing skills are great however. Its a shame how the studio back then did him.

Back