just got my sp vtb1 preamp.. questions

random effect

the preamp seems to be just fine for vocals but it makes the guitar sound very harsh when im using distortion. i tried messing with mic placement and the tube blend but i can't seem to get a good distorted guitar sound from it. I'm micing a marshall halfstack with a shure sm57 and running through a 3630 comp into the preamp. should i reverse the order of pre and comp? any tips on the gain staging in the preamp? It just sounds really harsh and brittle. thanks guys

If you're going to use the compressor (personally, I'd advise against it), it should be routed as an insert, via the insert point on the vtb-1. The compressor is expecting a much hotter signal than is produced by your mic. Take the compressor out of the chain entirely, and I'm guessing your sound will improve.

yea i just tried that actually right before you posted and it's still really gritty sounding... I know a tube pre adds some balls but this sounds a little too rough. I backed down the tube blend to ss and it still has some strange breakup in the high frequencies :confused:

Where are you placing the mic? It seems as though you might be over the voice coil. Try putting it between the voice coil and the edge.

i've tried it right at the cone and that was very brittle sounding and then i tried it closer to the edge and it was a little better but lacked clarity. i bypassed the pre and there wasn't any harshness but the signal waS A LOT weaker

yea i gathered this much. Im just saying that it sounded much smoother but i can see the benefits of the tube in how punchy and clear the sound is when used.

Back