Just got a set of bx8's

noiseportrait

I just can't express how happy I am with my purchase. It took me a long time to finally decide on a set of monitors. I read so many reviews, spent some time auditioning them, changed my mind several times, but I finally went with the m-audio bx8's. (Partially because I could get them cheap from a family member who has a sponsorship with them) After spending a few afternoons putting them through the ropes, I must say that for what these things cost they have totally exceded my expectations. I wouldn't consider myself to have a lot of experience with good studio monitors, but I have owned and listened to quite a few hi-fi stereo systems over the years, and these things just blow my previous setup, polk bookshelf speakers and a hafler amp, completely out of the water. The high-end on the bx8's is a bit less smooth, and the bass seems a little less accurate than some of the more expensive monitors I auditioned, but the mid-range detail on these things is incredible, and they are very well balanced. You just have to get the switches set right on the back, and break them in for a few hours.

Man these things are going to be a pleasure to mix on. I haven't done any major work on them yet, but I have run a lot of my old mixes through them, and nothing really surprised me. Everything that I knew was wrong with the mixes was the same just waaaay more apparrent. Things I had to struggle to hear well before are much easier to pin down, and reverb trails and other effects are so much easier hear working. On one recording I did the drummer had this terrible cheap cymbal. The thing drove me crazy, but I couldn't hear it well enough behing all the guitars on the recording to really care. But now I can!!!! I had listened to that recording dozens of times since and totally forgotten about that cymbal. And there it was smack in my face. It's amazing how accurate and revealing these things are. Even my girlfriend, who is usually completely uninterested in my studio gear was amazed. She spent about an hour just listening to cds and discovering the so many new things that she had never heard. I finally had to take her out to dinner just to get her away from my studio. The only thing I don't trust yet is the bass. It just seems a little too punchy, and and hard to judge. But it's still way better than most cheap monitors I've auditioned.

Innitially I was a little disappointed that I couldn't afford the dynaudios that I wanted and I figured the bx8's would just be a temporary solution until I could afford some real monitors. But now, after giving the bx8's a good listen, I don't think I will need to upgrade anytime soon. These monitors rock! I would definitely recommend them. To anyone who has been putting off that plunge into the world of decent studio monitors, don't put it off any longer. Do it now! And be sure to put the bx8's on your list.

Fully...the only bad review I heard about the BX-8's is from someone who had a pair that both had engineering faults.

I didn't have enough room for the 8in' size....

But, yeah get monitors they impress your girlfriend too..

We have a pair in our studio as well as a set of Yamaha msp 5's.We have
a nice size control room(12x20) that is fairly well treated.My problem with
the M-audios is that mixes never translate well on them and they fatigue
my ears pretty fast.When a mix sounds good on them it is almost always
to bassy on other playback systems,where-as the msp5's are almost al-
ways dead on.(and dont make my ears hurt)

I've had a pair of BX8s for nearly a year now and I love them. Someday I may have to upgrade but not for now. I record acoustic music so the bass hasn't been a problem. I do find that, on the songs where I record a electric bass, that if it's about where I like it on the BX8s (I play bass), it's far enough down in the mix for everybody else on their playback systems.

Back