Just a bit intimidated...

One thing you CAN learn with a stand-alone recorder: good tracking skills. Unlike with a computer DAW, you don't have unlimited tracks, and its more effort to do multiple takes, so you will quickly want to learn the best methods for good tracking.

Recording into a DAW will get your songs onto a desktop computer. The DAW is on your computer - I'm not sure how "i'll need to master that in order to record tracks and get them into my desktop computer" wouldn't apply to a DAW. Anyhow, do what you think you need to do...but I don't see why you would need to "master" a device that you will ultimately want to move on from anyhow. There isn't much associated with working a small device like that that you will be able to carry over to a DAW. I don't think you will say "ah! i know how to do THIS on my new DAW because I did it on my small tascam". Someone can correct me if i'm wrong there, but I don't see much correlation.

To get the tracks into your desktop, you just need an audio interface. Mine was $99 and came with a stripped down version of Studio One. When I got the grasp of S1, and wanted to upgrade, I did so for an additional amount. I'm just saying, if you are going to eventually use the DAW, just go for it. I don't think you will find any benefit from learning smaller tasks on the device since many of those tasks are not relevant in a DAW.

again, someone can correct me if i'm wrong there.

Because I only have a big desktop in my "broom closet" of an office, I'll need to record in another room that has all my guitars in there. That really is the reason for tracking on the Tascam. It's so portable. When I can buy a laptop I'll go the audio interface route.

But I understand your point. I just can't record anywhere near my computer.
John

One thing you CAN learn with a stand-alone recorder: good tracking skills. Unlike with a computer DAW, you don't have unlimited tracks, and its more effort to do multiple takes, so you will quickly want to learn the best methods for good tracking.

"so you will quickly want to learn the best methods for good tracking"...... In a big hurry :thumbs up:

"But I understand your point. I just can't record anywhere near my computer.
John " Slight correction if I may? Not with an open microphone?

"We". son and I, had this problem years ago and solved it to a large extent with a long mic cable! In fact I put some back to back boxes on a wall to get signals from room to room but you should find just keeping a wall between PC and mic good enough.

Not a new problem you know? Tape machines would swish, creak and groan and even the best engineered ones had clunky relays and solenoids!

Dave.

...Or KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) cables and adaptors are dirt cheap and easy to install and use if you want your keyboard, monitor and mouse remote from the noisy box.

...Or KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) cables and adaptors are dirt cheap and easy to install and use if you want your keyboard, monitor and mouse remote from the noisy box.

And! You can almost certainly use your FST telly as a second monitor. I found a £15 wireless keyboard and mouse would work easily 20 ft away, LoS, and over about 10ft through a 2 course brick wall.

Dave.

To all who suggest long cables to separate where I record, from where my desktop computer is (at least 50 feet or more away)... you've never met my wife! :)

Her ability to tolerate cables running from my office, down the hallway, through the living room, through the kitchen, through the laundry room/mud room, and finally into the music room... :laughings:

Not gonna happen :)

I'll just use the Tascam for now... and avoid the verbal spanking! :spank:

My primary means of recording is on a Tascam 2488NEO. Works well for the way I do things. I also picked up a Zoom R24 recently wicked cheap that's super portable and can also be used as an interface.
I've been slowly getting into the interface/DAW(Reaper) thing, but I'm just a tad more partial to the hands on feel and ease of a PortaStudio type device if I just want to relax, push a button or two, and record something and not sit in front of a computer screen trying to figure out some function that isn't readily obvious or why something didn't enable correctly. Maybe just an age thing, but then again I've never really followed the mainstream in what I do :)

To all who suggest long cables to separate where I record, from where my desktop computer is (at least 50 feet or more away)... you've never met my wife! :)

Her ability to tolerate cables running from my office, down the hallway, through the living room, through the kitchen, through the laundry room/mud room, and finally into the music room... :laughings:

Not gonna happen :)

Just drop in a couple of CAT 5E/6 lines across the roof space whilst she is out getting her hair done.

Sorted!

Okay . . . so there is a PC in a room used as an office.

And there is a music room that's 50' away.

Maybe the PC is connected to a modem, maybe to a printer, what else?

Why not get a little trolley, but the box and monitor on that, then wheel it down to the music room when you want to record?

Okay . . . so there is a PC in a room used as an office.

And there is a music room that's 50' away.

Maybe the PC is connected to a modem, maybe to a printer, what else?

Why not get a little trolley, but the box and monitor on that, then wheel it down to the music room when you want to record?

Where there's a will there's a....

Eh. I forgot the rest.

My primary means of recording is on a Tascam 2488NEO. Works well for the way I do things. I also picked up a Zoom R24 recently wicked cheap that's super portable and can also be used as an interface.
I've been slowly getting into the interface/DAW(Reaper) thing, but I'm just a tad more partial to the hands on feel and ease of a PortaStudio type device if I just want to relax, push a button or two, and record something and not sit in front of a computer screen trying to figure out some function that isn't readily obvious or why something didn't enable correctly. Maybe just an age thing, but then again I've never really followed the mainstream in what I do :)

That's what I was thinking. Record first, THEN go sit at my computer and tweak the tracks. But at least the recording part would be somewhat straightforward.

ah ok. still, if you want to retrack something, you have to go through that process all over again. seems tedious and like an extra, unnecessary step. just IMO.

yup, I started with a DP32 and then transferred everything to Reaper for mixdown, what a pain, and if you want to add a track you do it all over again,wasted a lot of time and money when I should have went the DAW interface from the start. and if you are going to end up in the DAW anyway, may as well record there 1st. it is much easier.:thumbs up:

.......corpse.

Hi Rami
If you're referring to the thread, I believe you're correct.

My initial query was on the subject of easy to use DAW software. It appears as though all such software has a steep learning curve. All have their idiosyncrasies. It also appears Reaper is popular with this forum (though I did get one or two recommendations for PreSonus Studio One).

I was hoping for a discussion of various DAW products, on the positives & negatives of each product, and why users decided to go with the software they ultimately chose. Perhaps a book on the subject of home recording software should be my first step.

If you have any opinion on the DAW software that is the most intuitive and user friendly for beginners I'd love to hear it.
Thanks in advance, John

Back