Just a bit intimidated...

I was hoping for a discussion of various DAW products, on the positives & negatives of each product, and why users decided to go with the software they ultimately chose.

I think most times, someone will start on a particular brand of software because it was packaged with the audio interface they bought. They don't usually switch once they learn one program. That's how I started with Cubase. I tried Sonar and Reaper just to see if I would like them, but I was already firmly entrenched in Cubase so I didn't put much effort into learning them. Some will seek out Reaper because of it's generous demo license and cheap price. Others look for Pro-Tools because they were led to believe it is an "Industry Standard". lol

In the end, all DAW programs perform similar functions with similar qualities. Some might not have Midi or VSTi's, but the major brand names will have everything you want. It's just a matter of feeling comfortable with the process flow and UI. That means it comes down to personal preference.

Try all the demos if you can, and pick the one you like best.

I think most times, someone will start on a particular brand of software because it was packaged with the audio interface they bought. They don't usually switch once they learn one program. That's how I started with Cubase. I tried Sonar and Reaper just to see if I would like them, but I was already firmly entrenched in Cubase so I didn't put much effort into learning them. Some will seek out Reaper because of it's generous demo license and cheap price. Others look for Pro-Tools because they were led to believe it is an "Industry Standard". lol

In the end, all DAW programs perform similar functions with similar qualities. Some might not have Midi or VSTi's, but the major brand names will have everything you want. It's just a matter of feeling comfortable with the process flow and UI. That means it comes down to personal preference.

Try all the demos if you can, and pick the one you like best.

I started with Logic and became 'entrenched' in that. However, despite became reasonably fluent in Logic, I was never comfortable with it . . . it didn't seem to do things the way I expected. About eight years ago I switched to Reaper for a number of reasons, the main ones being that I was involved in a collaboration with someone who was also using Reaper, Logic was no longer supported on PCs, and the guy who writes the Reaper manuals lived down the ways a bit.

The change was difficult, but once I settled into Reaper, it felt like I was putting on comfortable slippers. I am totally at home with it.

So though all DAWs do pretty much the same things, but they do them in different ways, and if one does things how you would expect them to be done, it becomes your intuitive system, whereas to someone else it is not intuitive.

I recommend Reaper because it does what I want.

I started using a computer to do audio work in 1999 (I think) with Sound Forge 4.5 and CD Architect (v. 2?), added Video Factory a couple of years later and upgraded to Vegas Video after a while. They all work in similar, and really good, ways so I've stuck with them for a long time. Reaper operates in a very similar way to Vegas so I can generally get around without too much trouble. Pro Tools uses different keyboard and mouse controls so it's less comfortable, but I manage to get stuff done without an excess of cursing.

No no....I was completing the sentence..."Where there's a will, there a.......". :)

Now I get it. :facepalm: And that IS a good one!

It was a while ago, so I wasn't very quick on the uptake. :) Being in your 60's can do that to some people... especially me. I walk around confused most of the time :)

Rami, Chili, Gecko, Boulder, Ronbert, Arcaxis, et al.
Thanks much for those posts. It really sounds like people will go with a certain software (sometimes with no "rhyme or reason" to the decision) and just get used to it, and live with it for years. I'm going to do what has been suggested here and road test as many free trials as I can. I think that will help me identify which one will work for me. Thanks guys for the advice!

"Rhyme or reason"... you've got to be at least 55 to have heard that expression. I even write like a grandpa! :facepalm:

Here's my band's Reverbnation link. Tunes recorded and mastered by a pro. Wife wrote 10 of the 12 tunes & sings lead.
https://www.reverbnation.com/beltanemusic

Last edited:
Hi Rami

If you have any opinion on the DAW software that is the most intuitive and user friendly for beginners I'd love to hear it.

It may be impossible to get a truly valid opinion on this because one is only a beginner once and the struggles of the beginner fade out of memory as new experiences over write them. You can probably find beginners at several different DAWs but as soon as that person tries a new DAW they are starting with foreknowledge of the process which disqualifies them as a beginner.

The entry price then sort of becomes a differentiator.

I struggle with Reaper but I'll certainly not outgrow it.

My $.02.

Yes, as the others have pointed out, an impossible question to answer.

Son and I started with MAGIX Music Studio Gen 6 and XP (£10 W.H.Smiths!) and simple tho' it is we struggled! About a year later a magazine gave a way Samplitude SE8. Very similar to MSG 6 but way better, 24bits and MIDI that worked!

I have since bought Reaper, Cubase Elements 6 and Sonar X1 ess' and CAN use them, a bit, but don't. I can have Sam 8 working in a flash, the others I have to think about. I also use Samplitude Pro X Silver (free!) limited to 8 tracks but has a cracking MP3 etc converter in it.

Dave.

I started out with Cakewalk, was totally bamboozled by it. Then Audacity, and it was so limited I gave up. The price was right to try out Reaper when I came back to computer DAWs.

I started out with Cakewalk, was totally bamboozled by it. Then Audacity, and it was so limited I gave up. The price was right to try out Reaper when I came back to computer DAWs.

Son quite liked Cakewalk for some of its sounds but neither he nor I EVER managed to work out how to export a MIDI file!

Dave.

Somewhere in that mix you had a hardware recorder? :) A Boss?

I had Cakewalk 2.0, a DOS MIDI sequencer circa 1987. 5 1/4" floppies.

Okay, let me give a semi-review then.
Reason 8.1 is the latest version of Propellerhead's impressive DAW. Workflow is separated into three distinct work areas.
The Mixer: Based on an SSL 9000J desk. It is a great simulation with all the controls available at all times. Routing, Comp and Noise Gate, EQ, Inserts, Effects sends, and the fader section are accurately reproduced for a super easy mixing environment. See one of the great reviews that outlines the desk and it's channel strips here. Parallel tracks are two clicks away. Grouping into a bus is maybe 3 or 4.
The Sequencer: Where your audio and midi tracks sit. Cut and paste, drag and drop ease of use, automation lanes, note lanes. All there. You can work in song mode (normal) or in block mode, where you block out verses and choruses laying them out to give you a quick track for practice or whatever other uses. Quantize single notes or entire clips. Separate or join clips, Record multi track or multi take. Easy transport controls and function controls.
The Rack: The GEM of Reason. All rack extensions (REs) insert into a rack system. Each track has it's own space. Each bus has it's own space. The master section has it's own space (including inserts for the 8 effects sends). You can add effects/dynamics/controls simply by right clicking the space under your track/bus/master and choosing from the list. Then the magic starts. Hit the TAB key and the rack turns around to reveal Control Voltage (CV) channels, in and out patching, and a raft of other options depending on the unit...which are ALL patchable. You have virtual patch cables connecting everything so that you can run a patch cable from parallel out to a different channel's dynamic in to side chain a compressor (or a gate). You can change the order of your devices from say Comp->Saturate->Reverb to Saturate->Reverb->Comp or any setup you'd like simply by changing the cables...the possibilities are WONDERFUL!

THE major con in Reason is their lack of support for third party plug-ins. Because of the proprietary system in the Rack, AAX, etc plugs simply cannot be used. There is a wealth of REs available from the propellerhead.se website, but if you want to use, i.e., the Kjearhaus limiter, you'd have to do it outside of Reason (render a stereo track and import it into Reaper or some other DAW and limit from there). Most plugs and VSTis have a counterpart in Reason, like Reason Drums instead of Steven Slate Drums or Superior Drummer, so all is not lost. If you want to use one of the other drum programs, it's best to run them in another DAW and render individual tracks by soloing each track and rendering. Then those tracks can be dropped into the sequencer and used!

Lots of pros, starting with the ease of workflow and the visual layout that reminds me so much of actually being in a hands on studio. I've learned to use Amplitube in Reason by routing Amplitubes output through my interfaces 3-4 outs and looping that back into other inputs via physical patch cables on the back of the interface...Then I just select those inputs and play along. Latency is practically nil. There are some nice free amp sims in Reason, but they don't stack up to Amplitube or other commercially available plugs. The synths in Reason are world class and get OUTSTANDING reviews. Subtractor, Malstrom, Thor, Kong, the list goes on. Full midi in and out support. If you decide to use another DAW, Reason is still available via ReWire so you can still use the world class synths and such, so even then it would not be a waste of resources!

I understood 20% of that review. Is that a Pass or Fail grade for a newbie?

Depends on the 20% I suppose. To "break it down and make it plain," Reason is a brilliant DAW if you've spent time in a hands on studio. It is also top of the field for EDM genres (due to its many world class synths). It is extremely flexible and a lot of hands on studio concepts (like parallel compression, etc) are super simple. BUT, no native support for other people's effects of virtual instruments.

Depends on the 20% I suppose. To "break it down and make it plain," Reason is a brilliant DAW if you've spent time in a hands on studio. It is also top of the field for EDM genres (due to its many world class synths). It is extremely flexible and a lot of hands on studio concepts (like parallel compression, etc) are super simple. BUT, no native support for other people's effects of virtual instruments.

Thanks. I got 90% of that.

(being a newbie sucks, doesn't it?)

Reaper
1) Free to download and try it out. $60 to register to stop annoying pop-ups whenever you kick it on after 30 days.
2) Extensive user manual - 400+ pages. Well worth reading. Skip advanced routing, MIDI and other sections that will confuse you when you're starting out.
3) Good user forum at Reaper.fm for help if you get stuck or when you are looking for better way to do things
4) Lots of youtube 'how to' videos.
5) Comes with a ton of plug-ins to get started and will run any commercially-available VSTs.

$10.00 + 90% ($9.00) = 19.00 + 20% ($3.80)=$22.80...12.80 difference is 128%. :confused:
:laughings:
I know....$10.00 + 90% ($9.00) + 20% (2.00)=$21.00...11.00 difference is 110% :)

unless it's markup...then it's 210%. Percentages are such fun...

Back