JazzMang's new thread... BAM!

JazzMang

He's Junktastic!
...because the old monster thread was confusing me and other people.

Ok, so here is the majority of 'Be Free'

A few notes:

1)Bass is fake, b/c I dont have a real one. I know its pretty bad, but it helps me think of what a bass should *not* sound like. :p
2)Majority of drums (until the slow section) are canned drums and in no way reflect what the final mix will sound like.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3607

I appreciate all comments regarding any aspect of the song or my mixing (dis)abilities.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Your voice is still that of extradonary. Guitars sound good.

I absolutely love that lead. I am so glad you added it.

Right before the lead part, you are on the verge of guitar/vocal fight for dominance....just a little mention of it.

I like that nice roll pop on the snare right before the axe solo too.

I don't care for the marching type drumroll. I feel it is a total misfit in this song. Not saying a roll of some sort would not sound cool there....just not that one.

I like the use of the bass ryhthm. Since you have taken this out of the acoustic relm, the bass could come a tad more forward...just a tad, if you want. I am not trying to boss ya JaZZ!!! :D

You have already made statement about the bass and drum tones, so I will make no remark to quality or tone.

I wish my unfinished songs sounded this good! I am excited about hearing it all finished!! You rawk JaZZ!!!

True :)

Edit to your Edit: We are all some kinda crazy.

Dude,

Can't really hear the bass. I say make the bass thicker. And more acoustic like if possible.

The new interval added towards the end is cool. At the end of the Chorus seems like the song totally set a different mood. And then slowly returns to the familiar original mood.

Sounds cool so far. Is that the song? Or do you have a second verse?

Just curious.

Thanks for the comments you guys (and gals).
I could bring the bass up, but the tone is pretty poor (it is a fake bass), so I didn't want to risk detracting from the rest of the song too much (for now). But I will toy with it some more and bring it out a bit. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm glad you all like the new interval. there is one more mood change after this as well that I am working on.

The layout you are hearing now is not what the final will be.
it is currently: Intro -->Verse1 --> Chorus -->Break1

It will be:
Intro -->Verse1 --> Chorus -->Verse2 -->Chorus -->Break1 -->Break2 -->END (Est. 4 mins long)

I use fake bass in my tracks. Tricks, I've learnt are:
1 - Even if it sounds bad by itself, it will be ok in the mix.
2 - It shouldn't have notes in very high octaves if the bass simulator is not upto it. It will sound like MIDI or fake.
3 - If it sound thin, cut everything about 1kHz. Bring the 1kHz threshold down as far as needed to remove really high notes.
4 - Boost very liberally between 40Hz - 80Hz.

Mostly it sounds fine. In other words, I've never had anybody complain about it even when I ask for such comments. :)

Hope that helps. :)

The type of 'fake bass' I am using is a standard acoustic-electric direct in, then lowered an octave.

Doesn't get more ghetto or nasty than that!

I've done that in the past.

I might be able to do something you might like if you want me to tinker with my "bass software". Just tell me the chords and tempo. :) This is an offer to help and not to pressure you in any fashion. :) So absolutely absolutely do what will make you satisfied with this track and if you want to wait for the bass, that's fine. I'm just offering ideas. :)

OK, I'll whip out my "key guide" and "determine" what stuff the CSharp key has. It will give me a break from working on my piece. I might work a little slow so you may not necessarily have anything in a couple of day. :)

Off to watch the apprentice and then sleep. See ya guys. :)

I love the guitar addition.

Not the drum marching roll. :D

I am on my way to work. Haven't listened on monitors, just pc speakers. :)

Later JaZZzzzzz!!!

Cool song. I don't remember th original very well so I'll just comment on this one.

I don't know what it is about the vox (performance is good) but its just a little dry/upfront compared to everything else. Thering on the snare, air in the drums, and delays on the guitars give the song some space. Then there is the vox thats smack up front.

Everything else has been said, nice job!!

Jazz, you got a track without your bass in it? I think some of the notes are overstepping each other 'coz I'm most probably not programming the same bass notes that you're playing. :) Oh, I know the C# scale now:
C# D# F F# G# A# B#

And if google resutls in wrong scales, that's their fault.

At this point, I will only comment on the vox....which are outstanding. I love the sound of your voice. It fits this music so well. (music is good in my opinion....but I'm easy..... :D )
I hear nothing in the music itself that makes me say it sucks. You have some ideas, run with them. I think it's sounding good man....

Jazz,

Here's a version where I messed around with something.

I'm sure some notes I play wrong. Some notes sound wrong 'coz they might be different root notes than the bass you played. Some ideas might be not according to your vision. And so on.

Anyhoo, here's a version. I hope you like it. If you like the bass sound and feel, and have specific ideas, let me know. If it sounds too fake, I can try to basically change the bass plugin's settings to make it different. And if it still sounds fake, we'll sit back and let someone come along with a better setup and probably a real instrument. :)

Having said all that, thanks for letting me play with this. :)

It kicks in around 0:36. The beginning is not too great but I wanted to have something down. I'll try to work on some more. :) It's loud to be heard but you will eventually mix it way low than at this volume. :)

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3620

Thanks for the bass rigup.
The sound of the bass itself isn't too bad (altho a bit loud, as you mentioned)

Some of the notes are wrong, but that can easily be fixed. I like the tone of your bass much better than what I got. Thanks for giving up your time to help!

anyways, here is the newest revision - cleaned up tempo issues (not all, but most), and also played with EQ and re-did break2 acoustics.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3622

JazzMang said:
Thanks for the bass rigup.
The sound of the bass itself isn't too bad (altho a bit loud, as you mentioned)

Some of the notes are wrong, but that can easily be fixed. I like the tone of your bass much better than what I got. Thanks for giving up your time to help!

anyways, here is the newest revision - cleaned up tempo issues (not all, but most), and also played with EQ and re-did break2 acoustics.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=3622
Hey hey I'm glad to work with someone. :)

Notes are wrong definitely, 'coz I couldn't figure them out. I'm used to listening for bass to figure out my guitar piece. :) Oh, and it's way loud, 'coz I wanted it to be heard how it's really playing. If you want me to do anything on this, I'll be happy to do more. But I figure you'll probably wanna get the song completed first and inspiration shouldn't be stopped. :)

------------------

On to the song.

Man, this version is cool. I like the dreamy break.

But the best part is the "crashing" guitars. Especially towards the end. But even during this break piece, the big guitar sound is cool. Man, I never get a sound like that from my setup. :)

This song is shaping up real nice. :)

Whats everyone's thoughts on the intro guitar coming back in after the 'dreamy' break? cheesy? ok?

Back