January Song

CrankyOne

Well, no surprises here, it's back to my month-song routine. It doesn't have vocals, although I wanted to do them. I couldn't get the house empty to sing, so I didn't. And for that reason, it might sound like it needs vocals. Oh well, tell me what you think.

-EDIT-

Oh, and the link is:

KICKASS-wow man-great stuff-nice guitar sounds-and playing-very very tight-this hardly need vocals-it works great as an instrumental-(now you need a some kinda sci-fi video to go along with it)--Interesting change of pace to the piano part.Good ride all the way-excellent work.

Ok.....right clicking did the trick.

very good guitar work man. Soemone was right when they told me you had chops. What kind of rig are you playing through? And what are you using for drums.

Stratoman's right about it standing up fine w/o vocals. This is a rockin' instrumental. I really like your guitar tone a lot. And the dbled gits are very cool. I would like the bass to be a little more distinct.

Oh cool..........a major change to an open section with the dissonant piano part....yeah............now back to rockin' out.
fairly lengthy but it doesn't get boring.
Good work man. :)

Man you do some great metal! Your rhythms and general sound quality stand on their own, but I would love to hear your stuff with the right singer..Like Phil during the "Cowboys From Hell" days....Oh hell, "Vulgar" days too :)

Actually this kicks ass as an instrumental!

Nice fucking work man! Saving this one with the others. So far this is my favorite from you. No further comments.

OK one more comment...

I just want to add that even though this is aggressive stuff, and I like agressive stuff :), it's produced so well that it's actually "pleasant" to sit and sink into it. Good job and thanks for the tune...

Very cool tune. Stands on it's own without vocals.
The mix seemed a little light on the bottom, but other than that very well balanced. Cool non-stock arrangement.

Nice work! :)

THANK YOU guys.

Ok, the "rig" goes like this: I play through a Zoom505-II which is horrible, but then the sound gets processed in my PC with Revalver Amp simulation plug-in. I use Cakewalk Sonar for tracking and mixing. The drums are some sounds I have found from the internet. So, no real drums. The only real instrument is the guitar. And I REALLY thought this would need vocals. I guess I shouldn't assume anything, since I can't be that objective about my own work anyway. Still, thanks guys.

that change @3:20 is awesome! I love that!

this is one of the loudest mixes I have ever heard.. great sounding excellent instrumental.. I cant complain about anything right now.. what type of limiting are you using? I think I asked this before, but how do you master your stuff? Do you use a spectrum analyzer at all? This song looks well represented as far as the lights on my e.q. go.. Maybe at times it sounded a little too bright, but I'm really trying to find something.. Did you program or play the piano?

those drums sound excellent.. especially in the piano break.. guitars sound excellent as usual..

great stuff Crankij! keep em' comin'!

you're an impressive little bugger...aren't you?

musically, your stuff here is VERY interesting, and you certainly don't expect what is coming up, and you think that you would..but you don't...and that is good..

plus the recording works ok too.

This song shows no lack of chops...nuttin' ... you totally confuse me sometimes!!!

great stuff cranky

not sure how you do it...but if I did, then it would probably be less enjoyable.

You shoulda called yourself the crankING one.This tune rocks.I agree with sluice about it not needing any vox and it being easy to listen to ,some nice and interesting changes w/o losing the overall flow of the song.you get an awsome guitar sound too,almost a little ...dare I say...Megadeth-ish,and the break at 3:15 got me doin air congas.This ones goin on my next mix cd.

Tres thick. Some of the doubled leads kinda' remind me of old Maiden; This is excellent - if I could think of any nit picks, you'd have 'em by now.

Good stuff,
-c

B.SABBATH said:
that change @3:20 is awesome! I love that!

this is one of the loudest mixes I have ever heard.. great sounding excellent instrumental.. I cant complain about anything right now.. what type of limiting are you using?

Let's see... I'm using a "dB Dynamics Processor" plugin on EVERY track, and after the whole thing is mixed down, I did a +2 dB hard-limiting on CoolEdit.

I think I asked this before, but how do you master your stuff? Do you use a spectrum analyzer at all? This song looks well represented as far as the lights on my e.q. go.. Maybe at times it sounded a little too bright, but I'm really trying to find something.. Did you program or play the piano?

I'm still not sure what the whole mastering thing means exactly, but I don't use a spectrum analyzer until the whole thing is mixed down. I don't have any sort of spectrum analyzer plug-in for Sonar, so I use one in CoolEdit, but it's usually just for the kicks. I can't recall making changes based on the spectrum analyzer. I trust my ears (and I'm not sure if I should do that :D ). Oh, and I programmed the piano. I only play guitar and sometimes sing. Everything else is programmed.

those drums sound excellent.. especially in the piano break.. guitars sound excellent as usual..

Weird :D I EQ'ed the hard hitting drums first, and the middle-section drums use the same 'left-over' EQ-settings, but the sounds aren't exactly the same. I didn't bother to use different EQ settings there, but I guess they turned out ok also. Thanks

mixmkr said:
you're an impressive little bugger...aren't you?

musically, your stuff here is VERY interesting, and you certainly don't expect what is coming up, and you think that you would..but you don't...and that is good..

plus the recording works ok too.

This song shows no lack of chops...nuttin' ... you totally confuse me sometimes!!!

great stuff cranky

not sure how you do it...but if I did, then it would probably be less enjoyable.

Thank you, sir. I'm not always sure myself how to arrange the song and what to put where. I guess I got lucky this time. I don't see the goodness of this song, but my ears have heard this song too many times already. It's reassuring to hear that at least somebody hears something good in it.

W.I.S.C. said:
You shoulda called yourself the crankING one.This tune rocks.I agree with sluice about it not needing any vox and it being easy to listen to ,some nice and interesting changes w/o losing the overall flow of the song.you get an awsome guitar sound too,almost a little ...dare I say...Megadeth-ish,and the break at 3:15 got me doin air congas.This ones goin on my next mix cd.

Aww... and thanks again. And that Megadeth comparison is definitely a compliment for me. Oh, and you liked the congas... Maybe I'll go tribal on my next song just for you :D

chrisharris said:
Tres thick. Some of the doubled leads kinda' remind me of old Maiden; This is excellent - if I could think of any nit picks, you'd have 'em by now.

Good stuff,
-c

...and a Maiden comparison CAN'T be a bad thing either :D Thanks.

.............blistering! What else can I say man, your tunes are never a disappointment. Excellent recording and performance!! I dig the string scrapes at 2:00.

...............just excellent!

G w/ a big 5 and a sore neck!:D :D

Crankage,

I am humbled!

Some day when I sprout balls I'm gonna post some metal.........

But if you and Sam keep postin these fine works I think I'll just stay in the corner............where I'm comfortable!

Thanks for sharing
Joel

Back