Jammie vs. the RIAA

Out of curiosity..... what are some of the 60 albums ? (I just gotta hear some DavidK work.......)

Harry Connick
Dr. John
Neville Brothers
Aaron Neville
REM-Out of Time
Smithsonian Chamber Players
Tons of Classical and New Age

Obviously your going to take the RIAA view on this, you've signed with them.
Well........:rolleyes:, Obviously you dont know what the RIAA even is. As Lt. Bob said, it's nothing anyone "signs with". I find it hilarious that people are gonna stick it to "The Man", yet they dont even know what the man is. It is a Trade group of distributors, labels and vendors. Among other things they certify sales and standards.

Hope you sharpened your pencil before you signed David..... the RIAA screws their own artists around as well, pretty badly.

Thanks for the expert advice.:rolleyes::D But the RiAA has no artists.:confused: Ive been in the music biz for 25 years, played 5000 shows, done hundreds of Jingles, made 60 CDs and several film scores. Its a little late to be telling me that now.;)

I have no love for the Record Industry, trust me. At the same time, I have even less love for a Rosa Parks wannabee, a rebel without a clue. This chick wants to make a cause outta stealing??:confused: And its clear that people view the RIAA as some evil giant when they dont even know what it is.

I sent $10 her way

Actually, you sent 10 bucks to a Lawyer.:D He's just another vulture in the chain who wants money. Everyone wants a cut. Since she has no money, he aint gettin any, so he probably thought up this brilliant scheme to have a bunch of clueless people blindly send money to "fight the Man", while he spends it on a Lexus.;)

Harry Connick
Dr. John
Neville Brothers
Aaron Neville
REM-Out of Time

Well........:rolleyes:, Obviously you dont know what the RIAA even is. As Lt. Bob said, it's nothing anyone "signs with". I find it hilarious that people are gonna stick it to "The Man", yet they dont even know what the man is. It is a Trade group of distributors, labels and vendors. Among other things they certify sales and standards.

Thanks for the expert advice.:rolleyes::D But the RiAA has no artists.:confused: Ive been in the music biz for 25 years, played 5000 shows, done hundreds of Jingles, made 60 CDs and several film scores. Its a little late to be telling me that now.;)

I have no love for the Record Industry, trust me. At the same time, I have even less love for a Rosa Parks wannabee, a rebel without a clue. This chick wants to make a cause outta stealing??:confused: And its clear that people view the RIAA as some evil giant when they dont even know what it is.

Actually, you sent 10 bucks to a Lawyer.:D He's just another vulture in the chain who wants money. Everyone wants a cut. Since she has no money, he aint gettin any, so he probably thought up this brilliant scheme to have a bunch of clueless people blindly send money to "fight the Man", while he spends it on a Lexus.;)

Good post.

I don't know why you guys are being so hard on her. I'm sure the money will go to good use. It's not like she's gonna blow it all on CD's :D

Awesome creds for sure David. I own that REM album.

Also .... Aquarium sounds great.

I do know what the RIAA is actually. It's the corporation that is suing Jammie Thomas because she downloaded music. Suing her for around $9000 per song, or ¼ million dollars. A CORPORATION...... suing a single mother........ over MUSIC !

That’s all I really care to know about the RIAA – who represents labels such as the one you signed with.

You signed to the label. The label signed to RIAA. BLAH BLAH let’s not get into stupid details like these. (ARTISTS DON't sign to the labels.... they sign to the...... blah blah shut the fuck up)

You’re an RIAA guy now – let’s just leave it at that. You need money for your music, and you feel for the RIAA fine I get it.

I know my $10 IS going to her lawyer – my post clearly stated “Legal Defense Fund”.

You’ve made 5000 CD’s, been to 1000 live cable access productions, probably wrote jingles for hundreds of toilet paper commercials and played session Violin for REM – do I really have to explain to you that Jamie pays her Lawyer in money in exchange for legal services ?

I give her $10. She gives it to the Lawyer. The Lawyer represents her. Sorry you missed something there.

I guess the worst part of the whole ordeal is the horrible bands she downloaded. (Aerosmith, Greenday, etc.). Should have downloaded something worthwhile - like a David K commercial. :p

Before the internet all you guys we're coping albums tape by tape. (You know you we're - don't lie) The real issue here is the CRAP music the RIAA represents. They want $20 for 2 decent songs. (If you can find 2). The general consensus among anybody boy-cotting the RIAA is that it's no big loss to them anyway. There is plenty of great non-RIAA music to listen to. Fuck Radio-Rock, and the commercial jingles. The real reason the music industry is in a slump - is commerical music sucks.

You know when you walk into guitar center, and you see that pathetic 50 year old sleezy business dude noodling on a bass guitar. (I know you know what I mean). The really generic, stereotypical music business guys, who can't play anymore, unless there is money involved. You know the guy wearing the beret. (He has to wear the beret, because he is SO music.... it hurts. You can also substitute beret for Pony tail, or elton john glasses). You know who I mean - the guys who writes violin parts for tampon ads, etc.? The guy who realized he wasn't going to be Elvis - so he SOLD OUT a long time ago. Those are the money hungry douche bags that are writing Britteny Spears Songs, Clay Akin's Songs, etc. And the RIAA sucks up money for all this soul-less tripe.

At any rate…. The RIAA is going to hurt bad for this witch-hunt. Rosa Parks or not - this is in the media hardcore right now.

Direct to the artist is the new way to buy music, and people are going to love it. These Strong-arm tactics will not work.

(btw…. her fund is now at $8000+ )

Harry Connick
Dr. John
Neville Brothers
Aaron Neville
REM-Out of Time

Last edited:
David.....

Awesome creds for sure. I own that REM album.

Also .... Aquarium sounds great.

Thanks Matt.:cool: I made $1300 this year alone for that REM album, and the gig was 16 years ago. I would have made $1300.01 except I didnt get my penny from Jammie.:D;):D

You’re an RIAA guy now – let’s just leave it at that. You need money for your music, and you feel for the RIAA fine I get it.

Trust me on something:

I probably depise the record biz more than most people you will ever meet. Having been a part of it, I can assure you that I have very little love for it. I am not rich, I am a working stiff like everyone else. I go to work and come home. I am as far from a rock star as one can get, I am a working classical musician who does lots of shows. I bet Jammie drives a better car than me.;)

I have been following this for some time. Jammie is cold and calculating, the victim act is learned. She didnt have to do this, this is as deliberate as they come. There's is good money out there for a Goliath slayer in books, interviews, speeches, etc. She knew that, and she tried to slay Goliath. She couldnt.

A jury of working stiffs set the amount, it could have been a fraction of that. These werent high powered suits, just average Joes like you and me. Jammie could have settled and paid a small fine. Nope, she went up against Goliath with no shot at winning, it was a slam dunk that she would lose. The 200 grand is chicken feed to a major label, they probably paid their lawyers 500 grand.
The RIAA is going to hurt bad for this witch-hunt.
No they wont. People dont even know what the RIAA is. Maybe someone will boycott Sony, but buy albums from a small Independent label like Windham Hill. Err, guess what?? Sony OWNS Windham Hill.;) And 18 other labels.

People have to have music. I guarantee you in the past few days the downloading of illegal mp3s is dramatically down. The record industy is in turmoil for lots of reasons, but boycotting isnt a major one. If you like a group you like a group, one doesnt care if they are on Sony or an indie, they will get the tunes somehow. Since stealing them is riskier than ever, buying them is gonna be the way to go.

I only really listen to Indie Rock anyway.

I've already bought all the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Who, Dylan CD's anyhow.

I've never liked that somewhere out there is a skyscraper full of suits, who somehow, get money when I buy a CD.

Guys like you David, who play on the stuff - yes obviously deserve to be paid your royalties. In fact, I still can't believe how cool that is that your on Out of Time.

But the RIAA and the labels who screw the customers and THE BANDS, make me completely sick.

How many artists have not been able to release various projects due to music business bs, or have been forced to complete quota's so they purposefully put out garbage.

Music business (the two words shouldn't even be in the same sentence together) has screwed over Prince, NIN, Butthole Surfers, Dick Dale, etc. etc.

Dick Dale has a quote.... can't remember exactly but, it's something like "If you make 20,000,000 for your record label - you'll still owe them 2,000,000"

If they weren't in this business - they'd be into ATM Machines, Insurance, Health Coverage, the White house etc. etc. They couldn't care less about actual music - it's all just filing cabinets and adding machines to them.

David's Quote : ""No they wont. People dont even know what the RIAA is""

Your so wrong David. People know the name RIAA well. And the boycott is growing larger.

At any rate - I felt sorry for the girl, as did other people.

I know what she did is right up there with murder, but I'm hoping her appeal goes okay anyhow.

mattkw80, your posts are so full of rationalizations that it's embarrassing to read. Your cognitive dissonance is growing loud; it's time for a cadence ;)

Look, she isn't Robin Hood stealing from the rich to give to the poor. She's actually Dennis Moore stealing lupines to give to own poor self and her motley band of bored teenagers with nothing better to do with their lives than fill up their mp3 players with ugly flowers. And now the lupine industry is coming back for revenge!

I think she should marry the RIAA, they are a lot alike :p

I'm not even a hardcore downloader.

I've got 1000+ CD's. (I just bought the whole White Stripes discography, in 1 shot).

My whole issue on this....... they are suing this girl for 1/4 million dollars.

How does that stop digital piracy?

How does that turn the music business around?

She has to pay roughly $9000 per per song.

This move will hurt the RIAA.

So, in other words... she should have just paid the $0.99/song and been done with the whole mess. For the money she now owes them, she could've downloaded 9,000 times the amount of content she did - and the stuff she DID rip off was probably confiscated. I've never paid 200,000 dollars for nothing, and I hope not to in the future.

Not that I am condoning this harsh a punishment for someone who shared some music, but it IS illegal - and if you want to live in a particular country, you have to abide by its rules whether you like it or not... unless you don
t get caught, in which case anything is "legal" :D

I've downloaded, it was wrong, I didn't think it was a big deal... since I started working, I just buy the stuff because it is easier than worrying about what government agency is sniffing my Internet connection... Hell, a fine of 10-20 bucks per song would probably teach most people not to steal music, but when the RIAA cracks down, they like to go big :P

She could have easily just paid a $2000 fine and been done with it. She gambled and lost. Sorry, but I have no interest in paying for her stupidity.

It sends a message loud and clear.

Ah see, her site is down - was she offered a settlement deal of 2 grand??? Shit, I woulda taken that - fuck the principle of the matter... going in, she had to know she would lose in a suit brought against her by the RIAA - she did the deed, she was caught - she wasn't going to win by getting on her soapbox saying that the RIAA is evil for enforcing the laws that it set, and that we as citizens should know about, and are required to follow.

Before the internet all you guys we're coping albums tape by tape. (You know you we're - don't lie)

The proper analogy would be if we made an infinite supply of tape copies and made them available to the entire world.

Slight difference from making a copy of your vinyl for the car or a mix tape for your girlfriend.

If I made an assumption that you have pirated software on your PC, would I be correct?

You'll change your tune if you ever develop any intellectual property.

The proper analogy would be if we made an infinite supply of tape copies and made them available to the entire world.

Slight difference from making a copy of your vinyl for the car or a mix tape for your girlfriend.

If I made an assumption that you have pirated software on your PC, would I be correct?

You'll change your tune if you ever develop any intellectual property.

I run a small indie record label where all downloads are free.

Intellectual property is fun to say, but when it comes down to it, it really is just music.

Music for the love of music.

I do work and contribute to intellectual property. (software) We've made sure it cannot be copied.

(Well it probably can...... but you'd have to guess a number between 1 and 1 Trillion to do so).

We knew other businesses would try to copy our system, and took responsibility of that upfront.

At any rate - I can see this is turning into a pile-on.

Send her some bucks if you feel like it, don't if you don't.

Sorry that your so embarrassed mshilarious - but big words wont compensate for your thin penis. But hey I understand your self esteem issues.... you got to be a tough man in the forums, because your such a scrawny fucking geek in real life.

Exhibit A : https://homerecording.com/bbs/image.php?u=17101&dateline=1158805833&type=profile

Why don't you be a man and reveal your location..... I'm sick of your shit in this bbs and would love to meet up with you sometime. I fly to Vegas and Texas, drive to Michigan, Ohio, and Penn. I'd love to settle differences with you personally..... please tell me your somewhere I go.

You've had a problem with me on here for a while....... I'd love to know why your so cocky and confident enough to speak to people the way you do in this forum.

Last edited:
its nice to see her site has been down or hacked for 12 hours now

a million bucks says shes already withdrawing paypal funds and using them for personal use

Why is that NICE to see ?

What am I missing here ..... do you guys really dislike this person ?

its nice to see her site has been down or hacked for 12 hours now

a million bucks says shes already withdrawing paypal funds and using them for personal use

There are good arguments on both sides.

But one thing that shouldn't even enter the debate is the fact that she's a "Single Mother". Who the fuck cares??? Is this a "minority" now? Like disabled people? I know many single mothers who screwed their ex-husbands so bad, they don't need to work another day in their life. I'm not saying that's the case with all single mothers by a long shot. I'm just saying that her being a single mother doesn't have anything to do with anything.

I run a small indie record label where all downloads are free.

Intellectual property is fun to say, but when it comes down to it, it really is just music.

Music for the love of music.

I do work and contribute to intellectual property. (software) We've made sure it cannot be copied.

(Well it probably can...... but you'd have to guess a number between 1 and 1 Trillion to do so).

We knew other businesses would try to copy our system, and took responsibility of that upfront.

At any rate - I can see this is turning into a pile-on.

Send her some bucks if you feel like it, don't if you don't.

Sorry that your so embarrassed mshilarious - but big words wont compensate for your thin penis. But hey I understand your self esteem issues.... you got to be a tough man in the forums, because your such a scrawny fucking geek in real life.

Exhibit A : https://homerecording.com/bbs/image.php?u=17101&dateline=1158805833&type=profile

You honestly don't see the insanity of your post? It's ok to protect your intellectual property, but someone else's should not be protected - apparantly because it's "just music"?

"Just music" is your subjective judgement. You have no authority to usurp laws based on your own opinion. Do you hold literature held in the same regard? How about patents?

If your point is that it's the record industry's fault for not developing copy-protection, well I'll agree with that, but they still have a right to enforce the laws that they operate under.

It's only a pile-on because you have made such a fool of yourself. You don't sound 27, you sound like you're about 15 - especially with the name-calling to Mshillarious.

Back