Jammie vs. the RIAA

the single mother shtick is a old psychological trick used in getting the attention of the general public. once you have that dialed in... then make the 'im a victim' video and watch the callers call in. piece 'o cake

she couldve settled and payed pennies on the dollar, but something tells me shes working with a slick lawyer... its about abusing basic principles and trying to get away with it

You sound as though you accuse all single mothers of doing this. That's bullshit. And if I'm not mistaken, they could randomly select you and you'd be in trouble too. Wouldn't you be happy if people came by your side, because you're such a nice person and everyone likes you, as you say?

I'm not singling you out because you are who you are, nor do I have any wish to get into an argument with you...we've done that enough, but because I totally disagree with you here. It's like the pot calling the kettle black. I KNOW you've downloaded stuff, as have I. Not in forever; I've been buying things again...music or software. But, I wouldn't use the single mom thing if I got busted. I'd face the music, pun intended...even if it sucks!

So, that's just a load of crap...the old psychological trick...please.

I don't believe in downloading anymore anyway...it's much nicer having the real thing there.

Hot thread here. I hesitated to post, but realized I have every right to do that here or anywhere else. If people attack me, then screw em.

I hesitated to post, but realized I have every right to do that here or anywhere else. If people attack me, then screw em.

Of course you do, but let's have no attacks, period, please, people. This isn't the Cave :eek:

You sound as though you accuse all single mothers of doing this. That's bullshit. And if I'm not mistaken, they could randomly select you and you'd be in trouble too. Wouldn't you be happy if people came by your side, because you're such a nice person and everyone likes you, as you say?

I'm not singling you out because you are who you are, nor do I have any wish to get into an argument with you...we've done that enough, but because I totally disagree with you here. It's like the pot calling the kettle black. I KNOW you've downloaded stuff, as have I. Not in forever; I've been buying things again...music or software. But, I wouldn't use the single mom thing if I got busted. I'd face the music, pun intended...even if it sucks!

I don't believe in downloading anymore anyway...it's much nicer having the real thing there.

Hot thread here. I hesitated to post, but realized I have every right to do that here or anywhere else. If people attack me, then screw em.

I don't think he's accusing all single mothers of it. But being a single mother can be exploited in such a fashion. Anything in someone's life that causes a struggle or anguish could be exploited like that. And people often do to get out of scrapes. Hell I've used illness in in the past, albeit not to that extent. The fact is, that whether or not she is trying to do that, being a single mother is not really any kind of justification for stealing music. We all have our life's struggles, that doesn't automatically enetitle us to steal. What makes her any different? As I said a fair few pages back, that woman earns significantly more than I do. I may not have a kid, but I have other things in my life that make it quite difficult to make ends meet smetimes. Yet I have never, ever downloaded music illegally. The only time I have downloaded music is from a bands website to check them out. To start with, I don't want my computer connected to all those virus sharing networks, and secondly, I just plain prefer CD's to mp3's. And that's aside from the fact that it's wrong.

Last edited:

dont know why you assumed i said all mothers.. in this case she throws out there that shes a single mother for the crutch of emotional support from the public... legionserial explained what i was saying.. thanks LS

yes, i have downloaded music in the past, mostly for learning covers for gigs. but thanks for the personal attack

I believe anyone interested in said argument must read this article.

Excellent read, thanks for posting it.:cool:

My translation of it:

" I saw firsthand that the record industry was messed, so it legitimized my stealing. Gwen Stefani sucks, how dare the industry put her music out, I will steal more music because of that. Stealing will show those bastards".

Full disclosure: In April I signed with Sony/BMG. The album is done, it comes out in November of 2008. If anyone has heard my music, it's about as far from Gwen Stefani as music can get. This one is different from my classical stuff, its more like Mannheim Steamroller.

The idea behind it is that there would be a touring show to support it. In the past, the labels really didnt get involved in the shows, it was more of a separate thing. In this case, the label and investors would be directly involved in the show ownership, thinking that if the record biz is tanking, the concert business is not. God only knows if it will come to fruition. In the meantime, the label has recently had me do arrangements and orchestrations for another album, one completely different from my usual field. This chick is damn good, and definitiely not a Gwen Stefani, she's a real musician.

In other words, it may be a bit premature to proclaim " The Sky is Falling". I went to the Sony offices this summer. They may be "evil", "greedy" and " Da Man", but one thing they are not is Stupid. Trust me, I have no love for "The Man", or the record biz in general. But they are not all coked-up morons by any means, there are some VERY bright people there. They have every intention of adapting to a different world, they are not dumb.

Doesn't do much for me. He drops the f-bomb a lot, and his best argument seems to be since his iPod can hold 100,000 minutes of music, it is manifest destiny that he shouldn't have to pay to fill it up.

This is a democracy, so if he and his fellow Oinksters wish to lobby Congress to change copyright law, they are free to do so. Only problem is that takes money, and a lot of it, and broke college students are unlikely to have it. Someday they will be successful, but by then they will be too busy to care about stealing music.

Indeed, it would take them 3 months of nonstop listening (except for 6 hours sleep per night) to get through all the stolen tunes on their iPod . . . and grown-ups just don't have that kind of time. They are too busy accomplishing something with their lives.

The only problem the record industry has is their primary market segment is broke college students. Someday they will decide to market strictly to adults, who have money, and ignore the freeloader segment of the market. Then there will not be any rock stars anymore to complain about illegal downloads. Sure, it will be a smaller market, but 20% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

That's what gets me about those who argue file sharing should be legal. Why do they think the record industry cares about a market segment that doesn't want to give them any money? No rational business operates that way. Believe me, when I get business "suggestions" from people who want products for free, they go straight in the virtual recycle bin without even the courtesy of a response.

When I was in college, I was a very good customer of the record industry. I sold all my LPs and bought CDs (not usually the same ones!) I was just as broke as any other college student, but somehow I managed to amass a collection of about 100 CDs, mostly classical, by the time I graduated. As DavidK noted, they were mostly $18! But I still have them, and I listen all the time. I don't buy as much anymore, just a few CDs per year. That is partially because I already have over 200 CDs, and they are all pretty good. I don't believe in buying filler.

So if the music industry churns out a bunch of crap, don't buy it, don't download it. Man, that is so easy. There is not enough time in life to waste listening to bad music (exception: http://www.burnsidewriterscollective.com/reviews/music/o/the_abominable_o_holy_night1106.php)

This one is different from my classical stuff, its more like Mannheim Steamroller.

Now you've done it, you sellin'-out fiddlin' bastard! Oh, I paid for the first CD, two of them actually, but this time you've gone too far! This music is an abomination! Therefore, I must have it! But believe you me, I'm gonna steal this one! And I'm going to do it the ol' fashioned way, with the five-finger discount and a loose-fitting trenchcoat! :p ;)

Congrats BTW :D

You know when you walk into guitar center, and you see that pathetic 50 year old sleezy business dude noodling on a bass guitar. (I know you know what I mean). The really generic, stereotypical music business guys, who can't play anymore, unless there is money involved. You know the guy wearing the beret. (He has to wear the beret, because he is SO music.... it hurts. You can also substitute beret for Pony tail, or elton john glasses). You know who I mean - the guys who writes violin parts for tampon ads, etc.? The guy who realized he wasn't going to be Elvis - so he SOLD OUT a long time ago. Those are the money hungry douche bags that are writing Britteny Spears Songs, Clay Akin's Songs, etc. And the RIAA sucks up money for all this soul-less tripe.

Is GC a hang-out place? Because I've only been there about five times and I never stay there long enough to notice what any customer looks like or is even doing there for that matter.

Full disclosure: In April I signed with Sony/BMG. The album is done, it comes out in November of 2008. If anyone has heard my music, it's about as far from Gwen Stefani as music can get. This one is different from my classical stuff, its more like Mannheim Steamroller.

Awesome! I'll be on the torrent sites for a copy... for my personal protection, i'll make sure i have some sort of sympathetic public stigma and slick lawyer

:D

The idea behind it is that there would be a touring show to support it. In the past, the labels really didnt get involved in the shows, it was more of a separate thing. In this case, the label and investors would be directly involved in the show ownership, thinking that if the record biz is tanking, the concert business is not. God only knows if it will come to fruition. In the meantime, the label has recently had me do arrangements and orchestrations for another album, one completely different from my usual field. This chick is damn good, and definitiely not a Gwen Stefani, she's a real musician.

In other words, it may be a bit premature to proclaim " The Sky is Falling". I went to the Sony offices this summer. They may be "evil", "greedy" and " Da Man", but one thing they are not is Stupid. Trust me, I have no love for "The Man", or the record biz in general. But they are not all coked-up morons by any means, there are some VERY bright people there. They have every intention of adapting to a different world, they are not dumb.

Can I pre-steal a copy yet? :D

Can I pre-steal a copy yet? :D

I have arranged a special HR promotional deal: All HR members will be given a 1% discount. Hey, I do my part.:D

You know who I mean - the guys who writes violin parts for tampon ads, etc.?

WTF?? You mean I could be writing Tampon Ads??:confused: Dammit!:D How come I never get the good gigs??:mad::D

an interesting read indeed.

alot of his points were right on mark. he was a little more biased towards the free ownership of music and totally putting a stranglehold on the majors rather than ideas for the majors to get involved in the sharing end of digital distribution. he hinted, but didnt give any real solutions. he wants to see the majors die. where i think that the industry can still change to meet the needs of both the musician and customer. this middle ground will be the next form of distribution channels

should be interesting to see where this goes, because movies and other types of digital content are going to be paving a similar path of this happy middle ground for all parties

alot of his points were right on mark. he was a little more biased towards the free ownership of music and totally putting a stranglehold on the majors

IMO he is in the same camp as MrT, where musicians should get "a real job". Again, it's almost always young-uns who feel this way, like music is some form of entitlement program.

I am constantly amazed at how myopic people can be about the music biz. Some feel that Gwen Stefani, 50 Cent, Britney and Paris Hilton ARE the music biz.:rolleyes: It's actually tens of millions of people worldwide. The young-uns seem to have absolutely no concept of history: The Movie biz declared The Sky is Falling when TV came around. The Record Biz declared The Sky is Falling when Cassettes came around. The Cable industry declared it when VCRs came out. On and on.

I have 15 performances of " The Nutcracker" coming up, a ballet (!) written 116 years ago. Union gig, good $$. 62 players, all making good bucks playing something from 116 years ago. The Theatre holds 3,000 people and it will be full for all 15 shows. Yup, The Sky is falling. :D

IMO he is in the same camp as MrT, where musicians should get "a real job".

Only the ones that whine about file sharing doing some type of damage to music. Or ones that act like the paste is gonna fit back in the tube...

IMO he is in the same camp as MrT, where musicians should get "a real job". Again, it's almost always young-uns who feel this way, like music is some form of entitlement program.

I am constantly amazed at how myopic people can be about the music biz. Some feel that Gwen Stefani, 50 Cent, Britney and Paris Hilton ARE the music biz.:rolleyes: It's actually tens of millions of people worldwide. The young-uns seem to have absolutely no concept of history: The Movie biz declared The Sky is Falling when TV came around. The Record Biz declared The Sky is Falling when Cassettes came around. The Cable industry declared it when VCRs came out. On and on.

I have 15 performances of " The Nutcracker" coming up, a ballet (!) written 116 years ago. Union gig, good $$. 62 players, all making good bucks playing something from 116 years ago. The Theatre holds 3,000 people and it will be full for all 15 shows. Yup, The Sky is falling. :D

i know you used to live in chicago... have you ever played in the CSO?.. checked it out while attending columbia college a while back.. cool stuff.

when i get some time, id like to go again

Excellent read, thanks for posting it.:cool:

Even though I'm not a big fan of classical, Mannheim Steamroller, or especially of Sony...I am so happy for you! As I am for anyone here who realizes any part of their musical dream! Congratulations!

And for everyone's information...in case it wasn't clear (I tend to be terse, especially when my keyboard isn't working properly)...I posted that link mainly because it was an interesting argument, not because I endorse anything the guy was saying.

Back