I've just mic'd my toms differently

slidey

YES indeedy

after watching a DVD of the making of AJA & seeing the footage of the band playing tracks at the end I noticed that Bernard Purdie's toms had been mic'd underneath. I remember watching & think "oh look his toms are mic'd from underneath" & never trying it untill now & the difference (for me) is huge

I tweaked & tweaned the tuning untill happy & the resulting seperation & depth that I'm always looking for is great & the big plus is I've been able to lower all my metallic round objects

does anybody else mic toms from underneath???

just recorded 12 tracks on an album for 2 friends I'll direct you to samples whin finished as it's not my material

boing-ho threadsters

PS Hi Glen:cool:

PS Hi Glen:cool:
Hey there' Slidey. Where ya at? :)

You probably already know that I'm not a big drum multi-miker, so I can't comment with any authority on your post myself; I rarely mic the toms from the top, and have never tried from the bottom.

But I look at it this way. Kick drums are regularly miked from their 'bottom" (think about it!) and snare are ofen as well. So why not toms? It can certainly help provide at least some distancing from the cymbals and the snare and perhaps provide some diminishing of bleed and phase issues. But that's just a thought, not an experience.

If it works, it works. Right? ;)

G.

I haven't tried it personally, but I do know that some drummers actually install mics inside their toms for live application so all they have to do is plug them up and they're set.

the Top is the Attack and the Bottom is the Tone

be sure to invert the polarity on one of the Tom mics...

I almost always mic toms from the bottom...makes the inevitable triggering easier

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I just realised it's in the wrong forum. This thread should have been in recording techniques

& Glen I've just recorded a funky hip hoppy style album & achieved my greatest moment to date re my "drumb" sound

I'm also 1/2 way through mixing & mastering an album for a country/bluesy singer songwriter

damn it's good to be busy

the Top is the Attack and the Bottom is the Tone

be sure to invert the polarity on one of the Tom mics...

right & due to the fact I can lower my cymbals resulting in lower overheads means I'm getting the attack on my OHs & the close mic is giving me the BOOM

I've also started using my solidtube just above my head going through my chandler germanium pre-amp & the result from one mic is staggering

Has anyone tried cutting holes on their toms' resonant heads and stick their mics in there, like the kick drum?

I've been meaning to try this for a long time but I'm too afraid to ruin my resonant heads... :(

Has anyone tried cutting holes on their toms' resonant heads and stick their mics in there, like the kick drum?

I've been meaning to try this for a long time but I'm too afraid to ruin my resonant heads... :(

I've never tried it myself, but if you don't want to ruin the heads, you could probably get an idea of whether it would work or not by taking off the bottom heads, rather than cutting them.

Back