I've been researching for a week and I just can't decide on a preamp

Omniscient

I've been researching which preamp I should buy for the last week. I know the "best" is pretty much based on opinion but I just can't decide what I should buy. I've determined I want a two channel preamp. I eBay everything I buy so my eBay budget is around 350$ which translates to around 450$ in a store/online store. I would be using the preamp for vocals/bass/guitar, pretty much every genre from acoustic to metal. After researching for a week these are the preamps I noticed a lot of people use and have given praise. I know the "best" choice is prety much based on opinion so I'm just having a really hard time deciding what I should buy.

M-Audio DMP3
M-Audio Audio Buddy
Presonus BlueTubeDP
RNC RNP(Kind of pricey, but I might spring for it)
Presonus MP20
Aphex 107
Aphex 207
Art DPS II

This so far is what I've narrowed it down to.If anyone knows of any other unit's I should consider feel free to post it. Everybody as a whole isn't going to like the same product so it's just being a big pain in the ass. I read a thread about people praising the BlueTube, in another it's being verbally shat on. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My only advice is be careful with the presonus tube units... I have owned at least 4 of the bluetubes, and 2 of the tubePres... Even after changing out the 12AX7 that comes with them with a tube that is supposedly more mellow (a 12AT7), it was hard to get a decent sound out of them. (Strictly my opinion!) I play everything from mellow acoustic to metal, and I could never get a sound that I wanted, even after hours of toying with the settings... The FMR unit (RNP) might be a wise decision. I just got an RNC a couple of weeks ago, and it was worth it IMO. If you could go to a music store and actually try some of those units to hear how they sound, rather than going on hearsay alone, it might make things end up a little more in your favor.

*Disclaimer: All of the statements made in this post are strictly pikingrins opinion, what you make of them is your own deal.* :D ;)

I own 3 presonus Tube pres...not bad, dont get the DP, it sucked, I took it back for 2 of the others. They do have different voicing, I like one for bass more than others. For $99 you get a $99 pre, but they work OK. Stay away from the audiobuddy. Poop. The phantom power crapped out after 6 months. good luck.

I was just reading one of my Musician's Friends and they had a review of the ART MP Studio v3, I think it was called. Is it really as nice as they made it out to be or are they, like all companies, just trying to push their products?

pikingrin said:
Those are pretty nice, and for $100.00, that's not a bad deal at all!

Aren't those single input? If there is a single input preamp that has an awesome bang/buck factor. I have no problem buying two if they remain within my budget.

Ya just a single input, loaded with features for the money. PMI's website has a b-stock sale section, they are going for $70 shipped there. I bought mine new for $88 at fullcompass, in fact just ordered the rack mounting kit from fullcompass for $14 (rackmounts two VTB-1's in a single space).

Huh, I'm considering the VTB now. Does it have a limiter type control on it?

Edit~ Does "output gain control pot" act as a limiter?

No, it has the following:

Mic impedence input selector for regular mics or ribbons, insert jack, XLR and 1/4" outs, 48v phantom, HiZ line in, gain control, HPF switch 70Hz, tube blend control so you can go solid state or dial in as much tube as you need, input and output metering just one meter but you can select wether it is metering the in or the out, output level control, and a polarity reverse switch. And if that weren't enough for ya, it glows blue from the front vent! Blue I tell ya!

SRR said:
It glows blue from the front vent! Blue I tell ya!

Haha, IM SOLD!!

I'm serriously considering the VTB1(I just to put them in that bitchen rack kit) but I still have about a week to make my final descision. I'd really like to find out about the ART MP Studio v3, see if it's good or if ART is just blowing smoke about the pre.

Fron the list, I had experience with the Art DPS II.

In my opinion, non musicial. It has this "stiff n sterile" feel to it that I didn't find very appealing.

I tried it on every setting it came with on a dozen different types of sources, the most I got out of it was a almost decent distortion guitar tone. Either the one I was working with was busted or I simply didn't develope a taste for it.

Again, strictly my opinion.

Is the DMP3 as to say "obsolete" now? I was looking in the best mic pre under $300 thread and I didn't notice it's two years+ old.

Omniscient said:
Is the DMP3 as to say "obsolete" now? I was looking in the best mic pre under $300 thread and I didn't notice it's two years+ old.

It might be, just to be safe, I would assume it was. But when it comes to preamps, it's really not what is out of date.

It's two things:

1) What's in fashion

2) What sounds unquestionably good to your ear

That's why some people are still looking for classic Neve's like the cure for cancer. That type of sound has done well to stay on top for the last 20+ years (for the most part).

SRR said:
Ya just a single input, loaded with features for the money. PMI's website has a b-stock sale section, they are going for $70 shipped there. I bought mine new for $88 at fullcompass, in fact just ordered the rack mounting kit from fullcompass for $14 (rackmounts two VTB-1's in a single space).

Where on the PMI site did you find the B-stock? I just see the unit for $179

Omniscient said:
What does B-Stock mean? They don't have the VTb on there anymore anyway. :(

used, demo units, etc....with a full warranty. If I can resist the urge to buy a new one, I will keep checking the B-stock section...

Back