its mikeing not micing!!!!!

Dr Samuel Johnson defended the use of the final "K" in words of Anglo-Saxon derivation in his 1789 "Dictionary of the English Language" by claiming the final "C" was French and effete. Therefore, "musick", "magick" and "micking".
The Anglo-Saxons weren't particularly interested: they didn't have a written language and, besides, by then, they were all dead.

Flatpicker said:
LOL! You guys are a hoot. Of course, I know all about that being in Tennessee! :p

BTW, I would agree with mixmkr - it's mic'ing. If it was mikeing or miking, then you would spell it mikrophone or mikerophone instead of microphone. Well… maybe you do in Russia… I put in the apostrophe between "mic" and "ing" because “mic” is an abbreviation and not a word. (I hate being so anal, but I just can’t help myself!)
Hi Flatpicker - I just spent a couple of weeks in Knoxville...whewie that humidity - how do you do it? yummy stuff, eh? :D

I like your Guitar Center though! I had to pick up a macra-phone, hehe...

Anyway I'm in Memphis now - Beale Street helps kill the humidity a bit !

this is asinine, but i have answered to less...

Um, while we're all throwing up our hat into the air on this, I always liked it said like "and then I mic'd the amp..." cos i like the clean succinct way it looks and feels.

But technically, the word is microphone, so we "microphone something", right? mic or mike is just abbeviation, right? I know we arent "microphoning the amp"...or are we? You mean to tell me not ONE english teacher reads this forum? I cant believe not ONE english teacher fancies themselves a pop star in the basement hovering over a 4-track...lmao

OK, that's it: the correct term is "microphoning".

Now we can go back to slagging each other.

Despite this inane thread, I will continue to use the terms "mic'ing" and "mic'd" when referring to the process of using a microphone on a sound source...........

:rolleyes:

lpdeluxe said:
Main Entry: inane
Pronunciation: i-'nAn
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): inan·er; -est
Etymology: Latin inanis
1 : EMPTY, INSUBSTANTIAL
2 : lacking significance, meaning, or point : SILLY
synonym see INSIPID
- inane·ly adverb
- inane·ness /-'nAn-n&s/ noun

lpdeluxe said:
...you're rolling your eyes again, B.
yes, because I can't beleive somebody actually started a thread on this!

Well, I'm looking for a mountain bicycle because I want to do some serious bicing to get some of this weight off. I figure I'll bic maybe a mile the first day, then just increase that distance till I've biced about five or ten miles a day.

zazz said:
unless of course your fooling around with a mouse :)

actually...it's miking
Any word that follows with the suffix "-ing" drops the "e"
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=miking

and if it was mic'ing, then you would be stating the ' symbol is taking the place of other letters. Such as in "didn't"...which the ' symbol takes the place of the "o". And if this is true in "mic'ing", then the actual full word would be microphoning (notice you drop the "e" as well). Which of course is the actual process of transducing sound waves into electrical waves. But you don't tell someone "Go transduce those bass sound waves into electrical waves, please." So microphoning probably isn't the best choice of words either. Therefore miking is the only true form of the word you should use.

....god I hate the english language.

Harvey Gerst said:
Well, I'm looking for a mountain bicycle because I want to do some serious bicing to get some of this weight off. I figure I'll bic maybe a mile the first day, then just increase that distance till I've biced about five or ten miles a day.
heh-heh....

But to me, there's a world of difference between the structure of the word <biking>, which is the grammatically-correct, shortened form of <bicycling> -- and <mic'ing> which is AE jargon. It's the apostrophe combined with the use of the abbreviation that makes all the difference and clearly defines it as jargon.

The grammatically correct form is likely, as you mentioned, <miking>, but jargon has its own rules, typically defined by common use in its intended context. Just like most AE's know immediately what OH would be, or FOH, whereas a lay-person wouldn't.

There's no point in quibbling about jargon, since it's generally a fluid language intended for its specific audience......... but people can argue all day about formal grammar structure if they like........

Carry on!!

;)

kylen said:
Hi Flatpicker - I just spent a couple of weeks in Knoxville...whewie that humidity - how do you do it? yummy stuff, eh? :D

I like your Guitar Center though! I had to pick up a macra-phone, hehe...
We've had a few "hot spots”, but other than that, it's been unusually mild this summer – mostly rainy and cool. The evenings have been drop-dead gorgeous!

Yeah, we do have a decent Guitar Center. There’s a lot more musical activity around here than one would expect. So, what mic, or mike (lol!) did you get?

Back