It's here........ Sonar 4.0

Interesting. I have been considering sitting this one out, and I see nothing here to change my opinion.

The biggies are of little interest to me - surround sound and video.

There are a couple of nuggets however:
- Audio metronome
- Track folders (although I'm still not fully clear on what this is, it does sound like it has a role in my workflow)
- Freeze tracks
- Multi-clip slip edits
- Fade drawing
- Color control

I own the studio edition. So I need to see what features are excluded from Studio in 4.0, and what the upgrade price is.

OK, found a better page for comparison of Studio vs Producer. http://www.edirol.it/europe/details.asp?ct=4&gid=15&gruppo=Professional&id=12&la=UK&code=344

Looks like most of what I would be intersted in is included in the Studio Edition.

Teacher said:
strange that the cakewalk site doesn't mention anything about it

Europe is a few hours ahead of us. I suspect this will be on the CW site sometime later today.

any ideas on what the system requirements will be? I am still running 2.2 XL, and have been unable to afford the upgrade to 3 Producers Edition, but now for only $70 more I can go for version 4.

I am running a P4 1.6 GHz, 1 G ram.... will this hold up, or do I need to upgrade my processor?

I contacted Cakewalk sales dept. this morning trying to upgrade from 2.0 to 3 PE, but the guy told me they were updating inventory and could not place an order until later this afternoon. So I call back after lunch and they tell me 4 is being released w/ 3 discontinued. When asked about the upgrade price from 2.0 to 4 PE, he advised it should be the same as upgrade from 2.0 to 3PE. We'll see.

Upgrade from Sonar 2 to Sonar 4 Producer is $249.00. I do find it interesting that it is the same to upgrade from Sonar 1 as well.

Upgrade from Sonar 2 to Sonar 4 Studio is $119.00.

http://store.yahoo.com/cakewalkdirect2/sp4.html

Let's see, I paid $79 to go from S2 to S3 Studio. Now they want another $99 to go from S3 Studio to S4 Studio, when I could have went directly from S2 to S4 for just $119.00. (Even worse, I could have gone directly from S1 to S4 for the same $119.00.) Where the hell is acidrock? I need to have a word with him.

BTW, take a good look at the differences between Producer and Studio. If you do not need surround sound and video capabilities, the Studio package looks pretty close. The only other reason I can see for going with Producer would be the Sonitus FX.

Question.. Once you 'export' your 5.1 avi file.. or audio file.. how do you burn 5.1 to disk?

Other than surround, I can't see where this upgrade is worth it for me... especially at the price. When I bought the program it cost $900AUD. The upgrade to 3 was another $300AUD, and this one is going to cost around the same... while I know that we are paying for the upgrade costs and all.. does the price seem fair to you guys?

Also, dachay, there are two upgrade prices.. from anything below Sonar 3 to producer is $249USD. Upgrade from 3 is $179USD.

It's starting to ship at the end of the month.

Porter

Well, I'll be upgrading from Producer 3. That cost is only $179.

There a lots of new feature which, for me, are worth that.

The workflow improvements are quite valuable, IMHO.

I'm happy to see the Freeze function as well.

If the time/pitch stretch is as good as they say, this will be a valuable tool for my work.

Too many other good features for me to turn down over $179.

Check out the video : SONAR4

*On edit - I just got an email telling me the pre-order price is $99.

Last edited:
This is getting out of hand. The jump from 2 to 3 was justifiable to me, but it seems like 3 just came out. I can't believe 4 is here. I don't need surround capabilities. I think I'll wait till 5 or 6.

Starting to look more and more like Cubase SX 2 every release ;)

Seriously though, that freeze should be a cool function. I don't use Sonar, but know someone else who uses it in his home studio. I'm hoping to get over there and work with Sonar someday.

OK, I just checked out the video.........
This looks pretty cool.......
Track folders, track layers......
Hmmmmmmm
uh-oh

Let's see....

Bass amp $600
Sonar $179 for upgrade
UAD1 Precision limiter $199

Decisions decisions....

Let's see, I paid $79 to go from S2 to S3 Studio. Now they want another $99 to go from S3 Studio to S4 Studio, when I could have went directly from S2 to S4 for just $119.00. (Even worse, I could have gone directly from S1 to S4 for the same $119.00.) Where the hell is acidrock? I need to have a word with him.
Man,I really want to upgrade,but I spent all my money on Nigerian bank investments and penis enlargement pills. :o :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm not even interested in this edition,in fact I'm wondering if I can downgrade and have a check sent to me. :confused:

I'm very happy with Sonar3 and think that in my case the money could be better spent in other areas.singing lessons,guitar lessons... :o

pdlstl said:
*On edit - I just got an email telling me the pre-order price is $99.

pdlstl - Can you confirm that this was a Sonar 3 Producer to v4 Producer pre-order upgrade price?

Can you post the text into the thread? Please, please, please?

Last time v2 - v3, I got that same email from Cakewalk and ordered direct from them. Now it looks as though they are trying to farm me through to the local Australian shit-head distributors who know nothing about a pre-order price and want to charge me about $US250 for the damn thing.

Any ammo you, (or anyone else), can supply would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao,

Q.

I must apologize to the board.

In my haste, I quoted the Studio price.

Alas, Pro3 to Pro4 is $179.

But for me, it will be worth it.

Here's the text for the V3-V4 upgrade:

SONAR 3 Producer customers can pre-order their upgrade to SONAR 4 Producer Edition for only $179—ships at the end of September.

*Note to self...you are an idiot. :confused: :( :confused: :( :confused: :( :confused: :( :confused: :(

:D Looks like I might need to mend some fences with the Australian distributor.....

Thanks for letting me know!

;) Q.

Back