Is this worth paying extra for?

openminded

I have to buy an XLR cable for recording two things: 1. In a studio for voiceovers and 2. For recording on set film audio.

However, I don't know which of these to get. Both are very highly reviewed and both have VERY different price points.

The cables in question:

Mogami Gold Studio 15 Microphone Cable Quad Conductor
Amazon.com: Mogami Gold Studio 15 Microphone Cable Quad Conductor 15 feet: Musical Instruments

GLS Audio 25 foot Mic Cable
Amazon.com : GLS Audio 25 foot Mic Cable Patch Cords - XLR Male to XLR Female Black Microphone Cables - 25' Balanced Mic Snake Cord - Single : Musical Instruments

Is one really worth 3X the other one in terms of quality? Would either of them be appropriate for BOTH studio and on set film work?

Thank you for reading.

The two things to watch for in mic cables are:

1. The connectors used...try for Neutrik or Switchcraft. Connectors are the part that can go wrong and good quality ones will last decades where cheapies often break in a year or two. If you're handy with a soldering iron (and if you're not, teach yourself--it's an audio skill you'll use the rest of your life) then this is less of an issue, though you don't want a connector failing mid take on a film set.

2. The "handling quality" of the outer casing--come cables coil easily and smoothy, other are prone to kinking. Particularly on a film set where you coil your cable 20 times a day, this can be a big issue.

Note that sound quality doesn't come into it--I'll defy you to hear any difference at all.

Just to be clear, just occasionally I've used star quad cable (like the Mogami) for install purposes...but that was for a specific project where a long run of mic cable had to got through an electrically noisy air conditioning plant room. Even then, it likely wasn't necessary but (since the run was a bastard to put in) we didn't want any chance of having to re-do it.

Trouble is, both cable descriptions are full of Audiophool rubbish about quality and don't mention full details of the shells or connector brands.

My suggestion? Buy a soldering iron, a hundred feet of good cable and a bag of Neutrik connectors then make up a selection of cables exactly the lengths you want. XLRs are dead easy to solder and a great way to learn. There are hundreds of "how to" Youtube videos online.

I agree with Bobbsy, but if DIY isn't your thing, just get the lower priced cables. I had a very good engineer tell years ago not to spend money needlessly on cables. And he was right! Good luck!

This reminds me of an old audiophile test where they compared the use of high end speaker cables to the use of coat hangers. Couldn't tell the difference. Yes the connectors are the important part.

I personally can't be bothered building my own cables. I buy them already made and spend about the same money as if I built them.

Also look for deals that just present themselves. I was in Guitar Center one day and found a bunch of B.L.U.E. Kiwi quad cables in a box of used junky cables that had been used for the "Guitarmageddon" competition. MSRP=$100 (ooh baby- not today) Real retail=$60 (not today either) I bought all 6 of them for $10 each, and I'm still using then more than 10 years later! They are *great* cables. Worth $$60? Not to me. Worth $10? In a heartbeat.

Back