is this mixed like a modern day record?

bkkornaker

www.bryankmusic.com
Trying to go for a more brighter/aggressive sounding mix on this guitar instrumental rock song. You know,....typical radio-rock sounding stuff........

hows it sound?

Attachments

• 3-18mas4.mp3
    7.8 MB · Views: 57
The guitars are way too loud, even for a guitar instrumental. Particularly the middle lead guitar. It's stomping all over everything. The bass is MIA and the drums sound small and timid underneath that noisey barrage of lead wankery. Go for more balance in the mix. It will still be a guitar instrumental.

Ok, i hear ya. Agreed.

I think the lead guitar does need to come down a bit.....but i think the rhythm guitars levels are OK, but may need some more hipass EQ, right now its rolling off everything below 80hz.....but maybe should bump it up to 100-120hz. I think the rhythm guitars are a bit low-end'ish still......takes up un-necessary room and makes the low E notes jump out too much.

Musically--I love it! Your playing, your tone, your songwriting--are all right up my alley. This is the kinda stuff I listen to every day--and you do it so well!

Mixwise--I agree with Greg. Even as a guitar player, my favorite part of a killer song is the drums--if they're not smacking me in the sternum, well forget it... Great guitars are killed (not enhanced!) by weak drums.

And the bass needs to come up as well. I'm missing some serious thump on this one--and I've cranked it up in my studio.

So, since the drums and bass are both a bit light in the mix, maybe the solution really is to bring the guits down a bit. (Even then, I suspect the bass will still need to be brought up a bit.)

Great stuff man. I'm jealous of your playing. (One mans wankery is another man artistry!)

I thought the drums held their ground even under the wankery!

The lead guitar sounds really good in the upper registers....then, like you mentioned, the low end loses sharp focus, and blends like wet paint with the rythm gits. Some tweaking. Yeah, bass up. The meandering bass line in a middle section line kinda dumps the groove, I think.

I also thought that , maybe, one of the rythm guitars could be edited out...there are two??

Tune reminds me of 70's/80's Jeff Beck and/or Al Holdsworth stuff.

You got some nice guit chops. Ever listen to Beck or Holdsworth? A little homework there might help you sharpen your melodic instincts.....like, more of it...melody.
The fast hammer-on/flick-off sequences were nice; but the earlier ones started on the 'ones' of the measures...and required a dead-space 'set-up' for execution. Makes 'em sound stiff. Try sliding one of those clips back in time a beat or two, to provide some pickup notes...like some of the later ones. I notice that your soloing generally follows the changes, instead of leading them......so you might have some hugely interesting, momentum-filled tonal anticipations by sliding some stuff back in time.

Unless, of course, you're a purist!

That was a good work! There are spectacular sonic moments filled with well-blended energy. Just about 30 years late, genre-wise. But everything old is new.....right?

It's kinda jazzy....the bass could use some more articulation in the lines...and a more present sound, maybe. My only other crit is that some of the drum rolls, I believe, are identifiable loops or cut/paste programmed dots.

I thought the drums held their ground even under the wankery!

The lead guitar sounds really good in the upper registers....then, like you mentioned, the low end loses sharp focus, and blends like wet paint with the rythm gits. Some tweaking. Yeah, bass up. The meandering bass line in a middle section line kinda dumps the groove, I think.

I also thought that , maybe, one of the rythm guitars could be edited out...there are two??

Tune reminds me of 70's/80's Jeff Beck and/or Al Holdsworth stuff.

You got some nice guit chops. Ever listen to Beck or Holdsworth? A little homework there might help you sharpen your melodic instincts.....like, more of it...melody.
The fast hammer-on/flick-off sequences were nice; but the earlier ones started on the 'ones' of the measures...and required a dead-space 'set-up' for execution. Makes 'em sound stiff. Try sliding one of those clips back in time a beat or two, to provide some pickup notes...like some of the later ones. I notice that your soloing generally follows the changes, instead of leading them......so you might have some hugely interesting, momentum-filled tonal anticipations by sliding some stuff back in time.

Unless, of course, you're a purist!

That was a good work! There are spectacular sonic moments filled with well-blended energy. Just about 30 years late, genre-wise. But everything old is new.....right?

It's kinda jazzy....the bass could use some more articulation in the lines...and a more present sound, maybe. My only other crit is that some of the drum rolls, I believe, are identifiable loops or cut/paste programmed dots.

some EXCELLENT criticism here guys....i appreciate it!

Yeas, there are 2 rhythm guitars (panned hard left/right respectively).

Some of the edits ill be making....

- lower lead guitar and rhythm guitars volume, as well as notch up the hi-pass EQ to about 120hz (instead of 80hz) to bring in some focus.
- instead of boosting the bass volume, it sounds to me like you guys want to hear more "pop and presence", so im going to try to add in some light OD Drive/distortion. Right now, the bass is pretty flat and no excitement. Maybe some grit to it will make it stand out a bit more without adding volume.

Ill make those edits tonight and re-post a new example.

some EXCELLENT criticism here guys....i appreciate it!

Yeas, there are 2 rhythm guitars (panned hard left/right respectively).

Some of the edits ill be making....

- lower lead guitar and rhythm guitars volume, as well as notch up the hi-pass EQ to about 120hz (instead of 80hz) to bring in some focus.
- instead of boosting the bass volume, it sounds to me like you guys want to hear more "pop and presence", so im going to try to add in some light OD Drive/distortion. Right now, the bass is pretty flat and no excitement. Maybe some grit to it will make it stand out a bit more without adding volume.

Ill make those edits tonight and re-post a new example.

Cool! Looking forward to your post!

I think the kick drum and bass are missing, so just EQing the bass, or adding some pop won't cut it. I think the kick and bass need to come up AND have some more low end added to them.

Hey Bryan, long time since you were here last.......!
The playing is absolutely marvellous as usual. Your talent cannot be ignored. I guess the guys already mentioned what needs to be done.
This is another great track!

You can definately do the nuetron finger dance. As has been said. I think the drums need to come up a bit and the bass for sure. I'm not a drummer but I usually really push the drums and bass in a mix. That's what puts legs under a good tune.

ok, heres the new mix version with the tweaks.....

I feel as if its getting close. Maybe the lead guitar could still be lower a bit more.....could be a personal preference call at this point.

Attachments

• 3-18revised.mp3
    7.8 MB · Views: 26
Drum mix is better but I still don't hear enough bass guiatr for my taste. Just my humble opinion.

The second one is better - the drums and lead are matched nicely. After hearing this I've decided to stop trying to play lead lol

hmmmm....still not enough bass guitar......

What is it about the bass thats not striking your fancy?

I think when I added in some slight OD distortion to it, it defiantly brought out more 'clank', in which it helps it poke through the mix. Do think it could simply use LESS 'clank', and just bring the volume up more for it?

ok, heres another version.....with the bass having lass "clank", and simply more volume.

Track rat, you diggin' this one better?

Attachments

• 3-18revised2-morebass.mp3
    7.8 MB · Views: 8
well,....i took everyone advise and tried to apply it to a new song/mix. I was always to worried about the bass eating up the low end headroom......but i guess just do what sounds best?

Heres a completely new song/mix, and hopefully the bass guitar is good enough for your all approvals....

ido1957 - you might not want to listen to this one. I went full forward with ultimate guitar wankery with Lead guitar. I REALLY LIKE the composition on this one.....

joeym- Yeah bro....i dont lurk here that often anymore. Very rarely do i come and post here. I should start coming back again....i miss this place. You guys rock! You were always very supportive of my work....I appreciate it.

:drunk::):drunk: ---------------- View attachment 3-21mas.mp3

im just hoping the mix gives this new song justice......

Back