Is this a rumor

JaQsonA1

Dynamic mics better suit female vocalist and condensor mics are better for male vocalist? this is what someone told me and i m not sure if this is true, any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Dynamic mics have less top end, which can be good for taming a shrill brittle voice. Overall, condensers are more detailed and capture a more realistic representation of the same thing, for better or worse.

I never use dynamics on female vocalists, and i dont know many other people that do. Definately not a good idea to put one with alot of top end on it.

I used a Microtech Gefell UM70 on a female voice the other day. Had to cut out 2db at 5Khz so it wouldnt rip heads off but it worked very nice for the song. But on her other songs a AT4050 worked better even through the SC Ghost Pres. I thought about trying an EV RE20 on her voice but she was a pretty soft singer so i dont think it really called for it.

Maybe if she was a hardcore female singer a dynamic would work better.

Neumann KM193 was also beautiful on her voice but it made her sound a little too distant for the song. But i have used that plenty of times on female vocals with excellent results.

Danny

Sounds like the kind of advice somebody with 2 microphones (one of which is a dynamic) would give....

A number of engineers have found the SM7 to be more suited for female vocals -- and I had such an experience, so there is a bit of validity to that; but we all know that are few rules containting such words as "always" and "never."

Back