Is my computer enough?

dj9fingers

Hi, I have been recording with analog for ever and see the digital buss passing by. My plan is to record drums and whatever to analog, then dump to digital to finish all the other tracks. My buddy is pushing Protools software on me with a M-audio 2626. I'm wondering if the computer I can get will do the job. It is a:

Mac OS X 10.5.8
4 X 2.5 GHz Power PC G5
4GB SDDR 2 SDRAM
500 GB X 2 SATA
NVidia GEForce 7800 GT

What do you think? Is it enough? Should I consider something other than ProTools? Thanks!!

the daws dont really make any difference to a Mac of that size....its effects and softsynths that really eat up your cpu...but yours is better spec'd than many and i dont imagine that would give you much trouble.

If its mainly audio stuff your recording then this will be fine...its only further down the line that large projects with say lots of compressors and other cpu hogs that you might push it..

I have a far less powerful dual core pc and manage fine with 20 -30 track projects...

Just make sure that the version of Pro Tools you are being pushed into is compatible with non intel mac PPCs and that there are non intel mac drivers available for the M-audio unit.

There was some noise out there about Pro Tools dropping a lot of apple support but that may have just been in the HD versions but double check anyway.

Back