Is anyone satisfied and "done" with their studio?

How can you run out of money when you still have checks left?

I'll never be done, too many interesting toys to play with that I don't have (yet)!

Chris

Nope!

I won't be satisfied until my stoo-dee-o produces a hit record
makin' me rich and famous!

I'm never really satisfied, but I'm at the point where I pretty much have to record the current project with the gear I have, and I have enough gear to do it. I set out to bypass everything that a Roland VS1824CD does *except* be a 24 bit, 96 khz recorder, and I've pretty well done that. The 13 basic tracks are done. There will be one more, a live studio track, done at the rough mixdown and final punch-in session Labor Day weekend. We start tracking drums/percussion and bass April 17th, vocal overdubs in May, lead guitar/viola/recorder/mandolin in June, then the drummer comes back for additional accent percussion in July. It should go to the mixing engineer in Septmber, then mastering, production, and hopefully a Christmas release party.
Outboard- POD Pro, DBX386, Joemeek twinQ, Avalon AD2022, RNC, TC Electronics M300, Carver PM125 power amp (feeds Marshall cab from POD), Rolls HA62 headphone amp.
Mics- B.L.U.E. Kiwi, Rode NTK, AKG D112, C414B-ULS, C2000B, D690 (X2). Oktava MC012 (matched pair), MK319. Shure SM82, SM7B, SM57 (X2). Studio Projects B1, C3.
Sennheiser HD240 Pro headphones (X3), M Audio SP5B monitors.
Main guitars- SG Supreme w/ Seymour Duncans w/ coil taps, Taylor 710CE, Epiphone Selena signature classical.

I went light on the monitor chain, because we're outsourcing the mixing, and I had to cut costs somewhere. Well, that's pretty much every penny I could spare, leaving enough for flying overdub staff around, engineering consulting, legal, mixing, mastering, and production. Woo Hoo, after 30 years I'm really making a full blown studio album!

There's a shit load of stuff I want, but after the current project is finished, I'll probably upgrade to a better recorder, say Alesis HD24-Richie

The current toys got the job done for my first CD, but I don't plan to record any "keeper" tracks for the next album until I at the very least upgrade my preamps and get Lucid A/D converters. Then I desperately need to ditch these Monitor Ones and get some decent monitors, upgrade to Pro Tools 6 and get OSX versions of my plugins, get some different sample libraries, do some acoustical treatment in my recording room...

...a studio is best viewed as always being a work in progress, I think. It really never ends.

Done?
Done is but a distant dream: :(
Pic16.jpg

I'll be happy when I have a studio like Dr. Dre, wait but don't get it twisted tho because I'm very very greatful!!!I thank GOD all the time for what I have not much compared to others about $15,000 in gear.

I have it better than all of you poor souls. I have a definite answer to this thread:

My WIFE says I am satisfied and done with my studio.

Enough said............

acorec said:
I have it better than all of you poor souls. I have a definite answer to this thread:

My WIFE says I am satisfied and done with my studio.

Enough said............

Heehee :D

Well, studios are like living creatures.. the evolve and grow as long as there is prey (read: money) around to consume! :p

I'm at a stopping point because I'm out of room. Got computer, got good audio card, got controller keyboard and UltraProteus, got Strat, got ESP bass, got couple floor pedal units, got bloody awful cheap mic. Got no place to put anything else. Oh Well. Got rid of bed and put in futon to make room for controller keyboard.

I guess it's time to move, hee hee!

6gun said:
i love my place, but as soon as i finished it we had a baby......uh, 'studio killer'.

now i can sit in there and pretend to record. it's really fun.
True. I just started to record again. Baby is 18 months old now. Really smart. If he sees you do something once, he will do it. So....
I cued up a song I recorded eons ago. Sounds really flat. I EQed and tried to find the problem. Maybe it sounded this way when I recorded it. I checked everything. I thought the tweeters where blown in my monitors since a CD sounded just as flat.

2 hours later....My son had turned down the treble all the way. Good boy! Oh well..

Nope, I'm not even close to being done...

I still need:
Monitors: (still using those cheap Aiwa CD-player speakers)
Samplitude v7.0: (currently using v6.05)
"Good" Preamps: (only have what's on my Aardvark Direct Pro)
"Good" Converters: (see above ^)
Mixer: (currently using a Behringer 1602)
More Mics: (currently have a Rode NT2, AKG D112, and a Radio Shack small diaphram condensor)
Better Plugins: (currently have a bunch of free stuff, and some Waves plugs, and I just recently got the Voxengo Sonic Finalizer - very nice!)
An actual room for my "studio": (currently setup in the living room).

So as you can see, I've still got a ways to go....
So much gear, so little money. :(

-tkr

Ya know, this post is very timely. I was recently faced with the fact that I had a $300+ store credit at Guitar Center and it took me WEEKS to decide what I wanted to spend it on.

It was a really scary feeling to think that w/o getting into ridiculous costing equipment, I was happy with my setup. The only thing I think I would upgrade now are my monitors, but I don't have the soundspace to warrant that just yet. I'd also maybe like to build a wooden rack/deskspace with casters.

Now I just need to find more people to record, and get everything moved out of my closet (yes, it was big enough to setup my keyboards and my rack and recorder and work alone, but I'm staring to do things with others, and I need more room dammit!).

Back