Is anyone satisfied and "done" with their studio?

I feel pretty done. I can do pretty much anything I need to do with my setup. I might pick up a cheap plug-in here and there, or replace my monitors with some passive 20/20s or Yorkvilles, but that's probably it for some time. Maybe I'll get a VTB-1 or two when they drop in price. Anyway, here's the setup that I'm generally happy with (and the price I paid for each component):

Arctic Sound Equipment List

AKG K 240 Headphones - $100
Rode NTK Tube Condensor Microphone - $450
Studio Projects B3 large diaphragm multipattern condensor - $160
(2) Shure SM57 dynamic microphones - $120
Shure SM48 dynamic microphone - $50
Audio-Technica Pro 25 Bass Drum Mic - $70
Peavey PV dynamic microphone - $50
(2) Behringer ECM8000 omnidirectional condenser mic - $70
(2) MXL 603s small diaphragm condensor microphones - $140
M-audio Delta 44 soundcard - $225
Sonar 2.1 recording software - $300
Oberheim Ob-Tune pitch correction plug-in - $50
Waves Renaissance Reverb. Compressor, and EQ Plug-In - $200
Various Free VST Plug-Ins and Instruments, converted to DirectX using Directixer - $50
Alesis Monitor Ones - $125
Hafler TA1100 reference power amp - $170
BBE 264 Sonic Maximizer - $40
Presonus Blue Tube Mic Preamp - $150
Focusrite Penta Microphone Preamp and Stereo Compressor - $400
Joemeek MQ3 mic preamp, compressor and EQ - $200
FMR Audio RNC1773 stereo compressor - $180
Midiman 2 X 2 USB MIDI interface - $50
Midistudio MIDI controller - $125
Computer - $450 (AMD Athlon XP 1600, 256 MB RAM, 20 and 60 GB HDs)

cominginsecond, how do you like this pitch correction software?

Middleman said:

cominginsecond, how do you like this pitch correction software?
It seems like it works all right. Supposedly its developed by Antares, so I assume it's just a stripped down Auto-Tune. It works on things like voice and strings, but does not work as well, in my experience, on guitar leads, which, if you get your guitar in tune in the first place, you shouldn't need.

That would be the box for my Marshall V67G which I was excited about last week. I am still searching for the Ultimate Avatar.

at first i'm thinking that tubedude had lost him marbles.

but now i get it.

i'm pretty happy with what i have, and i can get good work done and be proud of it.

but there are still things i wish i had (a pair of sm81's comes to mind).

but overall i like the sound i'm getting for the money i spent.

Middleman said:
That would be the box for my Marshall V67G which I was excited about last week. I am still searching for the Ultimate Avatar.
Ahh, I see it now. I used to have one of those.

Oops, I forgot, I need a bass. The bloody bastard who owned it had the bad taste of bringing it with him when he moved to Singapore. The nerve! :mad:

i love my place, but as soon as i finished it we had a baby......uh, 'studio killer'.

now i can sit in there and pretend to record. it's really fun.

My place is allways in transition. But my hometheatre took some of my cash as of late. But Im at a point where I can get what I want from my gear.

Only way to really know if I need something or not is to use it, and afterwards decide on that question. So I just buy and buy and sell and sell.

I'm on page 15 of the catalog right now (139 pages total)

On a real note...bad thing about buying better stuff, is you'll need the rest to upgrade also. When I started my studio i was happy with behringer stuff, and other cheaper units. They performed excellent. When I started upgrading there came a point that these units weren't up to the job anymore. This is 'sadly' an never ending story.

My studio is four track (digital), pretty lame huh?

I have three guitars that I really like.

My setup is very user friendly, I can be up and recording in minutes.

I increased the signal to noise substantially when I took the Radio Shack mixer out of the loop!!

I have a garage and a half recording space, very roomy!!

I would love to have that Roland Club e-drum set, or maybe Handsonic, man would that be fun.

I have kept things as simple as posible.

The least amount of equiptment, to do the most amount of good.

(Cheap Bastard Productions)

GT

I'm quite content with my setup. I could always use more stuff, but I have everything I need. I've gotta build a faster box to record on, but hell, that's nothing.

My spare cash these days is being spent on guns. Hmmmmmm....

Mixing Console: $3000
Microphones: $2000
Being satisfied with studio setup: Priceless

haha. I wish.
I might be satisfied when they stop making recording equipment and I have everything out there. But maybe then i'll learn to make my own equipment. BWAHAHA

-DAN

Back