Is anyone satisfied and "done" with their studio?

tubedude

I feel pretty frigging satisfied, myself.
There are some nice things I want, but man, I feel pretty damn good about what I have right now. Its been so long since I felt this way.

Really, really, nice.

I can go sit down and work. Anytime. No bugs (fingers crossed) no problems, and I can get good tones fast.

Heaven.

Fuck yeah.

Ivery happy with what I have but I'm NEVER satisfied. It's not so much equipment anymore (although new toys are always welcome) as it is the space I have to record in. I planning a little expansion latter this summer. I'm glad your system is coming together for you tube.

NEVA! :D

Actually, now I've gotten the console situation straightened-out (though it's not due to arrive until late Fall or otherwise early Spring of next year), I'm feeling pretty good, regardless of the my 2-3 things (costing between $1.6k and $3k each) that I KNOW I REALLY NEED and would like within the next 1-3 years, to take my recordings to the next level! The millions of other things I'm eyeing are "That'd be SO COOL!", but most of them don't do anything I can't do with what I've already got around here!

Now if only the clients I get in here would take a reasonable amount time to do their project, they might have an end product worth mentioning! We'll see how this weeked goes... :rolleyes:

R.E., which console did you get. That's one thing I do want to upgrade. I almost picked up an MCI from Mussel Sholes a month ago but I was a little too slow.

You get the award for funniest question. :)

Actually, I'm not done, but I'm 'satisfied'. I now have everything I need, and it's just a question of slowly improving it.

First I need a new mixer. And a G2. :)

I'm "done" for now since my wife and I just bought out first home! I'm pretty happy with my rig, but I wish I had a faster PC. I'm using a Top-Of-The-Line-For-1999 Dell 450Mhz PIII! It works fine for about 4 tracks w/ some Waves plug-ins (using n-track) but it inhibits my creativity when I try to add more tracks. My music is pretty basic (acoustic guitar mainly) so it's not a huge deal. But my outboard gear is more than fine for now.
-Great River MP2
-Pair of RNCs
-Neumann KM184 (anyone have an extra one they want to give away?)
-Soundelux U97
-AT 4033
-pair of ECM8000s

Most of this stuff was purchased my first year out of college when I was living alone with a sweet IT job and eating hamburger helper in my 1-bedroom apartment

I'm the opposite of a gear whore.... I record cause I want a way to put my music down on cd, thats it..... I don't even neccesarily like recording....

I do a few demos here and there for people, and I have fun with it, but I don't consider myself "a recording guy"..

Just a guy who makes music and needs away to record it.

My studio has been virtually unchanged for the past year, and I have no plans on purchasing anything new...

Got 24 Track Pro Tools LE (001)
Davisound Pre (2 channels of clean, transparent power)
Have a little Mackie and a vintage Soundcraft Board..
Waves Gold Bundle..
Decent Live Drum Kit..
Awesome E Drum Kit.
Nice Guitars..
Awesome Bass..
Synths, Samplers..
Nice Mics...

It's all there... Unless any of it beaks down, I will have this same set up for the next 5 years or so....

I keep getting upgrade notices for my Digi, when they add like 2 new tiny features....... But I can't be bothered... I will wait 5 years, when PT LE is 48 or 64 tracks and a bunch of new features.. Then I will replace my current system.

I think Recording is like Fixing Cars.... (Car being a metaphor for the song).......You have the guys who just want to get the cars running good... But then there are the other guys who want to have every new socket wrench and tool that comes out.. They are constantly improving there tool box, and working on the car at the same time.....

Nothing wrong with either, but I guess I am the first guy in that paragragh..

Joe

R.E., I'm working on a Studiomaster 16x8x16. It's OK (I like it WAY better than Mackie).

You mean its actually possible to be done???!

I started with a beat up raido shack mike and a half broken Sony tape deck, recording my band when I was about 14.... I haven't been done since and doubt I'll ever be.

Now if I was handed 50 grand... or even 20 grand I think I could be 'done' for a few years... but until that happens I cant afford doneness.

Never done ...ok 'done' till the lottery kicks in(I WISH)...so nope never done....I can get by with my setup as it is but always want more.Quality is expensive.

I'm still working on the Gold Channel thing. I'm close but need to step up my pres.

Voicemaster Pro Pre
DMP3
Mics: 67G, 990, NTK, MC012. SM57
M-One for Delay
RNC for compression
Sonar
SP-5B monitors

Coming up will be:
The M series 8 channel from Soundcraft
UAD-1
John Hardy Pre
TLM103
Marshall 69ME
dbx 160 for limiting

The never ending quest for making my voice sound good will never end. It's hard to make a lemon pie with this lemon.

Yea i'm done. I mean what more could you ask for than an ART studio mp and shure sm58 to record everything into a sb live, and monitor with computer speakers?

Not to sound full of myself but my setup is better than anyone else on this board. My flat screen monitor and erogonomical keyboard and mouse really make all the difference.

Well, there are things I will have when the new house is done, like an MP2-NV, a lucid clock and a Lucid Converter, and a few other little trinkets, and probably a Stepehn Paul mic when it comes out, and then a better pair of small diaphragms (my weakest link right now) and thats about it, other little knicknacks but I'm good for now, I am working again and its nice... I am satisfied til the studio is built, then I'll get those dream items and be done.

I started with the basics, I actually bought Sonar 1 before I had a DAW to run it on... Using 2.1 now... then I built...
1.54ghz XP with 1024mb DDR RAM, 40gb 7200rpm fluid bearing
Then came mics...
Neumann TLM-103
Sennheiser MD441(my favorite), MD421, (3) e504 and (1) 509 and (1) e609
Beyer Dynamic TGX-50 kick mic, (2) mxl603's, Beyer Soundstar II, others that arent coming to me right now for some reason...
4 channels RNP, an API, and a Soundcraft M8
Delta 1010
Rane headphone amp (this I plan to upgrade soon)
1 pair Yamaha MSP10 active monitors
I pair of Sennheiser HD580's (nice)
5 pair of cheapo tracking headphones for bands, must upgrade also, sound like ass
every imaginable software you can think of, including my favorites, the DR-008 and Drumkit From Hell, what a combo...
just got my midi controller keyboard, a little Evolution thingy, and I'm digging it with Sonar and the DXi's, thats a new world to me. Still learning that stuff.
I guess I can inlcude my Mesa three channel Dual Rectifier in ther etoo with 4x12 Marshall cab. I want an Ubershall badly, but thats a never thing....
Umm, cant think of everything else right now, all my cables are Canare and Mogami, including patch cables... umm, pop filter, drawing a blank now...

Almost everything bought at used prices off ebay or muscigoround or somewhere. I can sell my whole setup for pretty much what I paid for it, a year from now. Nice.
Peace!

Must be sunspot activity or something, because oddly enough I was just thinking about this exact same question yesterday.

It spontaneously occurred to me that for quite some time my studio was running more or less flawlessly - and how easy and comforting it is when you are confident before every session that everything will be working and you have all the tools (and most of the skills) do to a great job more or less effortlessly.

That being the case, I realized that I don't REALLY need any more gear. That's not to say I don't still have the lust, but it's easier to keep in check when you realize new purchases are no longer essential to be functional, but are more a reward or luxury. That wasn't always the case...

(Note #1: My room acoustics could still use some work, however...)

(Note #2: In the event that I am caught snatching up a VIPRE, the Sony Oxford EQ plug-in, a Quantec Room simulator, some killer DPA or Schoeps small diaphragms, an 1176, an LA2A, a Distresser, or just about anything from Crane Song, Pendulum Audio, or Stephen Paul... I totally disavow knowledge of the above statement!) :p

Track Rat said:
R.E., I'm working on a Studiomaster 16x8x16. It's OK (I like it WAY better than Mackie).

I've always wondered what Studiomasters are like... Never looked into them at all because I've been tired of the used console circuit.

Dec. 2000, I gave-up on my used Soundcraft 200B. I had JUST finished soldering-up a 432-point TT patchbay (3 used 144-point bays) out of a bunch of very used Mogami 2944, same cable used in their snakes (talk about a tangled mess!), and very used Switchcraft connectors! I picked-up the MTA 924 demo from PMI Audio in Jan. 2001, but by April the same year, Davisound finally agreed to coming-out of their self-imposed 10-year retirement of console building, on a 1 console at a time basis. I couldn't get rid of the 924 fast enough! Took me a year and nearly a $3k loss to finally sell that thing!

Now I'm very slowly working on another 432-point patch bay (will be done by the time my console arrives)! But this time, I'm going 1/4" longframe and all brand new bays, all brand new mogami snake cable, and all brand new Neutrik connectors! Went with Switchcraft MT48FN bays since I can't afford the Mosses & Mitchell bays at $500 each! :(

For the temporary board that I'm using until my consoles arrives, I tried to look into the Midas Venice at the time, when trying to figure-out what to go with, but never did ANY representation get back to me. A shame, because I have this feeling those consoles might have some real potential for the money! So, I went with the 32-ch. VLZ PRO for my temp board because the 8-Bus and Ghost aren't a big enough improvement in signal integrity (though certainly in features) for the extra money. It isn't for me at least.

my studio is done..and has been for years. I've had good shit in the (way back) past, worked with plenty of good stuff, but feel very satisfied now just recording on a computer doing my own stuff now......which takes up far less space than I needed 20 years ago, when I used a 400lb mixer and 500lb patchbay/outboard pres, etc.
I however LOVE looking at nice equipment...and always will.

I only lust for nice(r) instruments at this point in time and the ability to play better. I have come to the belief that a great(er) mic isn't going to make me sound better. Only what I put into it.

Therefore a couple of nice pieces (and I call a Layla and a computer and a handful of good mics and pres as nice) all that is needed. oh yeah..still love my Urie and jbl's. (and the auratones!)

Back