Internal audio sampling with Focusrite 2i2

Belette

Hi,

Is there a way to sample internal audio (youtube, etc) to my daw (Ableton Live) with the focusrite 2i2? I thought it was possible with this one like it is for the higher range (2i4 and more) but it looks like the loopback function isn't on the 2i2.

I was thinking about putting line output back to the line input but i don't know if it would work. Any other way would be fine tho.

Thanks for your help

Hi,
Depending on your OS a software routing option would probably be easier.

Your OS may have some built in function to record what you hear or, if not, there are programs like SoundFlower, SoundSiphon, Jack, Blackhole, etc which appear as virtual 2 in/2out devices,
so you can point your system audio at virtual out and tell your DAW to record from virtual in.

You could route your main outputs back to your pair of line inputs but you'd have to be certain that live playback/monitoring for the recording track in the DAW is turned off whilst recording (mute the track?) otherwise you'd get instant feedback.

Hope that's helpful. :)

Setup Audacity ('Edit Preferences') as shown attached then it will record any audio going through the computer.

You used to have a function called "Stereo Mix" but Ms stopped it in W10. There are a couple of free apps that can do this but Audacity is way simpler and one less program to have on your hard drive. I use it all the time.

N.B. If you don't yet have Audacity, download it from the dead safe 'ninite' site.

Dave.

Attachments

• Audacity loop.png
    Audacity loop.png
    269.3 KB · Views: 8
Honestly, I’ve just been using OBS for this. Might be overkill if you have no other reason to install streaming video software, but since I have it anyway, it works really well. Then again, I use Reaper so it’s super easy to drop the resulting video files in and just use the audio.

You could route your main outputs back to your pair of line inputs but you'd have to be certain that live playback/monitoring for the recording track in the DAW is turned off whilst recording (mute the track?) otherwise you'd get instant feedback.

Hope that's helpful. :)

Thats where I was going to go with this as well. Just make sure you have input monitoring off and your levels are set evenly and at an appropriately level and you should be good to go.

Back